going to the gym is amazing

I've been struggling with fitting exercise in my schedule, but this week I put it as my priority. I even allowed myself to work less during the day to get to the gym.

I just went for three days in a row for the first time in months and I feel amazing. So energetic, so focused so much more productive. So much happier.

The increase in my productivity is so noticeable, I think I'm going to continue skipping an hour of work for the gym.

Ps: As a phd student, I am my own boss, but have deadlines up the wazoo

Quiksilver ca

Bump it up to 5 days a week, and monitor your food intake.

Don't put yourself on a diet, just be mindful that going to the gym makes your appetite larger, and the common misfortune of hitting the gym is people getting fatter because they overeat as a result of the activity.

So, bump your activity in the gym up to 5 days a week, spending no more than 1 hour at the gym doing intense exercises(less is more).

Eat clean food with occasional cheats now and then(rewards only, no giving in to weakness. This is positive reinforcement)

And buy a calendar, X off days that you go to the gym, so you are aware of your consistency and for motivation.

i've always thought cheat days were a load of crap! why would you want to do good at you training program and screw it up by cheating? the old saying is something becomes a habit in 21 days.

Quiksilver ca

Cheat days are not actually 'cheating'..

They are rewards. My rule of thumb is for every 1 week of excellent nutrition and lifting, I give myself 1-2 cheat meals where i can eat anything.

If I skip those cheat meals, then every 14 days(2 weeks), I give myself a cheat day.

--

Every 12 weeks I give my body 1-2 weeks off to recover, and in this period I follow a loose diet.

--

Also, cheating can be good. Occasionally the body has need for a carb-up, where you eat plenty of carbs and generally 'crap' food one day and it has no affect on your fat stores because your body is still in an anabolic state.

It's like briefly switching the engines to idle in a jet. You might slow down, but you won't start noticeably falling for some time.

Edited by Quiksilver ca

nope, i don't swallow it. i will agree to a week off every 12 weeks,do that myself. but if i'm tring to quit smoking or i'm a alcholic i don't do go for so long and then say well i did good so i can have that beer or smoke. if your gonna do something do it right or don't do at all.

Prodigal Princess

Good on you Kamille. I agree, exercise is such a rush!

I struggled with going to the gym during my uni days though; the lifestyle was just not conducive to getting my butt into gear. For some strange reason I find it much easier to get up early and go to the gym each day now that I work full time and long hours. I definitely reckon it keeps me energised.

My main problem though,is that I only like exercising at 'my' gym; it has the right facilities, the right classes etc. I was out of my state for work last week and tried to go to a hotel gym and last all of 10 minutes. I also hate exercising outside (all those variables - weather, concrete, urgh!). Wish I could be more versatile!

Yaaaay Kamille!

Keep it up and make it a habit!

I love the gym too! Especially swimming!

Cheers!

littlekitty
Cheat days are not actually 'cheating'..

They are rewards. My rule of thumb is for every 1 week of excellent nutrition and lifting, I give myself 1-2 cheat meals where i can eat anything.

If I skip those cheat meals, then every 14 days(2 weeks), I give myself a cheat day.

--

Every 12 weeks I give my body 1-2 weeks off to recover, and in this period I follow a loose diet.

--

Also, cheating can be good. Occasionally the body has need for a carb-up, where you eat plenty of carbs and generally 'crap' food one day and it has no affect on your fat stores because your body is still in an anabolic state.

It's like briefly switching the engines to idle in a jet. You might slow down, but you won't start noticeably falling for some time.

Absolutely agree with this!! :) You obviously know your stuff!

littlekitty
nope, i don't swallow it. i will agree to a week off every 12 weeks,do that myself. but if i'm tring to quit smoking or i'm a alcholic i don't do go for so long and then say well i did good so i can have that beer or smoke. if your gonna do something do it right or don't do at all.

This is different, it's about monitoring you food intake not giving up a bad habit.

When training hard most people are pretty strict with their diets. Now if you have absolute will power you might handle that for a while but there comes a time where most people will give in and eat something they shouldn't!! If you allow yourself little rewards and therefore aren't overly denying yourself the foods you enjoy, but that aren't 'so' good for you, then you are less likely to have a massive slip up or give up completely.

I guess it depends if you're talking regular maintenance or getting in comp shape.

Or the cheat days can remind you of how crappy you felt when you had poor eating habbits. At least it does for me. Sundays are my cheat days. Gotta have that in-n-out double double.

"Ohh that looks so good" followed by " Why did I eat that"?

So Keep it up and allow yourself the occasional reminder :)

• Author

Interesting replies and thanks for the encouragements. So no one thinks it's weird that I skip 'work time' for the gym? Good! Besides, I feel so much better and work so much better!

I hadn't really thought about food intake. I have a tendency to gravitate towards healthy choices anyways (love fresh veggies and fish and much prefer grains to processed food), so I never really struggled with my diet. My one dietary problem is a coffee addiction.

All I want is to keep the energy level up. I'm going to the gym in 20 minutes, and I'm actually excited about it.

• Author

And now I'm back. Still feeling great.

I know you suggested intense exercise Quicksilver, but what seems to be working for me this week is to take the level down. I've been very sporadic about working out this last year, and I would hop on the eliptical and try to do 30minutes on a level 8, like I used to, and just feel exhausted the day after (so much so that I couldn't drag my ass to the gym or focus at work).

I took the level down to 3, and now I am really reaping the benefits of exercise. Maybe in a few months I'll be back to 8, but for now, I'm just happy to enjoy feeling energetic again.

Prodigal Princess

I struggled with going to the gym during my uni days though; the lifestyle was just not conducive to getting my butt into gear. For some strange reason I find it much easier to get up early and go to the gym each day now that I work full time and long hours. I definitely reckon it keeps me energised.

Well, I've managed to train myself to work a 9-5 schedule on my thesis (sometimes going 9-7 depending on work load) but couldn't seem to get up earlier to exercise or motivate myself to go at 5. So right now my goal is to start working at 8 and leave for the gym at 3 or 4. Shorther, but more productive workdays.

Quiksilver ca

don't forget weight training and flexibility, hun.

It's okay, lifting a dumbbell won't make you look like a man.

--

And you raise a great point. "I get tired doing intense exercise"

Build your endurance and tolerance towards exercise. This is easily done by just staying consistent(NEVER miss a workout) and gradually increasing the intensity. Tack on an extra minute here or there, add 1-2lbs to a lift, bump the level up a notch on the elliptical every week or two. Keep challenging yourself.

I'm glad to see you're making good progress, as far as the emotions you attach to the gym.

Give it 6 months and you'll be on the cover of VS ;)

• Author
don't forget weight training and flexibility, hun.

It's okay, lifting a dumbbell won't make you look like a man.

--

And you raise a great point. "I get tired doing intense exercise"

Build your endurance and tolerance towards exercise. This is easily done by just staying consistent(NEVER miss a workout) and gradually increasing the intensity. Tack on an extra minute here or there, add 1-2lbs to a lift, bump the level up a notch on the elliptical every week or two. Keep challenging yourself.

A great rule I live by in the gym: "Always do something more than before"

I'm glad to see you're making good progress, as far as the emotions you attach to the gym.

Give it 6 months and you'll be on the cover of VS ;)

I do yoga for flexibility and a bit of strenght - but I do have a hard time integrating strenght training in my routine. I'm not afraid of showing muscles, I just find it boring. boo-o-ring. Any suggestions on how to make it fun?