I like to work out some, cycle, swim, go to the gym. I'm shifting weight, although I don't need to shift much more than 8 to ten pounds at a push (without maiking myself look ill) About a month ago I set myself some new targets. I've never been able to run. I'm not a "good" runner, yet it calls to me and always has.

exH has always been a runner and a good one at that - but he runs with speed and with such grace. And I've watched him over the years just go for it when ever he wanted and do it so well, and I admired that!

So, with my Gf's ringing me and asking me to run with them, I decided to sign up for a charity 5K run. I did this over a month ago, and I want to train properly. I've already started run/walk/run type of thing, and it's working. Should I concern myself with speed or with method first?

Where is the best place to train, Outside? Or on a treadmill? I have the opportunity to do both.

Also, I'm finding it hard to replenish my fluids during an outside run. Where and what can I get to help me with this?

Oh and one last question: I map all my routes, is there a watch I can wear that's relatively inexpensive that times me or registers my miles?

Appreciate your help on this. My long term aim is run the London Marathon, next year! (For charity).

It would be good practice to run outside instead of the treadmill; it is a bit more challenging running outdoors, and if the first time you do it ia at the marathon, you'll be at a disadvantage. I was at the sports authority yesterday and I say the have this pouches you attach to your waist where you can carry your water bottle if you do not want to hold it in your hand; they were $10-$15. They also have have the watches to register your distance for about $10. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

I...I've already started run/walk/run type of thing, and it's working. Should I concern myself with speed or with method first?
I think you should work on technique and consistency first. If you're consistent for six to eight weeks, then you can start working in some interval training. That's when you'll see the best results. Getting to be a decent runner takes patience.

Where is the best place to train, Outside? Or on a treadmill? I have the opportunity to do both.
In my opinion, outside is always preferable. First of all, it's far less boring. Second, of all, there is something about a treadmill and the limited options for motion that seems like a good way to bring on repetitive motion injuries. I can run outside for an hour or more. I can't stand a treadmill for longer than 10 minutes.

Also, I'm finding it hard to replenish my fluids during an outside run. Where and what can I get to help me with this?
I think people are too obsessive about staying hydrated. If you're thirsty you should drink, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. I never carry fluids on my runs, unless I'm going for over 2 hours, which I never do. You should be able to go that long without really needing to drink. If you do want to carry something, there are systems made for runners. Either hand-held or strap-on types like Camelbak.

Oh and one last question: I map all my routes, is there a watch I can wear that's relatively inexpensive that times me or registers my miles?

There are tons of devices that do this. You can even get a GPS system if you want. I've used Garmin's Forerunner for years, and I really like it. But I wouldn't call that "relatively inexpensive". This is another thing you can find on the internet. Everything from $2 pedometers to the type of unit I use. You just have to decide what kind of features and what level of precision is important to you.

Appreciate your help on this. My long term aim is run the London Marathon, next year! (For charity).

I think that's great! Good luck!

I personaly am horible at hydrating myself So I have to make an active effort to drink alot of water. If your not hydrated you can end up feeling very sick. Make sure you figure out how to stretch out and run in a good form. If you don't stretch properly or aren't running correctly you can really hurt yourself. You could just try taking 5k speed walks a few days a week for practice, if you have the time

• Author
It would be good practice to run outside instead of the treadmill; it is a bit more challenging running outdoors, and if the first time you do it ia at the marathon, you'll be at a disadvantage. I was at the sports authority yesterday and I say the have this pouches you attach to your waist where you can carry your water bottle if you do not want to hold it in your hand; they were $10-$15. They also have have the watches to register your distance for about $10. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Thank you! I was really looking for some way to carry my water! I'll let you know how I get on.

I personaly am horible at hydrating myself So I have to make an active effort to drink alot of water. If your not hydrated you can end up feeling very sick. Make sure you figure out how to stretch out and run in a good form. If you don't stretch properly or aren't running correctly you can really hurt yourself. You could just try taking 5k speed walks a few days a week for practice, if you have the time

I get really dehydrated real quick! The stretches I'm figuring out at the moment - seems to be real different than cycling, which I'm used to doing. I've got the time to practice speed walks in the early evening or real earlyh morning (which i prefer). Thanks for your advice!

• Author
I think you should work on technique and consistency first. If you're consistent for six to eight weeks, then you can start working in some interval training. That's when you'll see the best results. Getting to be a decent runner takes patience.

In my opinion, outside is always preferable. First of all, it's far less boring. Second, of all, there is something about a treadmill and the limited options for motion that seems like a good way to bring on repetitive motion injuries. I can run outside for an hour or more. I can't stand a treadmill for longer than 10 minutes.

I think people are too obsessive about staying hydrated. If you're thirsty you should drink, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. I never carry fluids on my runs, unless I'm going for over 2 hours, which I never do. You should be able to go that long without really needing to drink. If you do want to carry something, there are systems made for runners. Either hand-held or strap-on types like Camelbak.

There are tons of devices that do this. You can even get a GPS system if you want. I've used Garmin's Forerunner for years, and I really like it. But I wouldn't call that "relatively inexpensive". This is another thing you can find on the internet. Everything from $2 pedometers to the type of unit I use. You just have to decide what kind of features and what level of precision is important to you.

I think that's great! Good luck!

I did think that running outside would be better. I seem to be better on the treadmill than outside, so that indicates to me I need to try harder outside.

I already have a GPS unit that is for my bike. It's the Garmin Edge 205, so I may try that first. The mapping isn't a problem because I've been mapping with motionbase for a long time, although I can only upload a few entries to that, but I recently found a site that can log all my training and do maps, too - which I love! So the watch thing is more of a visual time device that keeps a note of my heart rate and possibly miles.

I have an old injury to my knee, so I'm looking to protect it as much as I can. I figure my warm ups will be good for that.

I'm real excited about my new goals. I love the great outdoors, and I'm real excited about doing the 5K!

Thanks for your reply! :)