clandestinidad

I've recently found out that I have some sort of a heart problem. I've been dealing with it for at least 13 years, but never really looked into it. All this time I've been told I was out of shape and should do MORE exercise, I'm making it up, worried about nothing, etc. I went to a cardiologist about one and a half years ago, and was told that they didn't find anything, but couldn't do any further testing until I had my baby.

The symptoms have gotten to the point that it affects me daily, and requires that I stop what I'm going and lay down to rest.

Throughout the day I'm tired, dizzy, weak, unable to get enough air when I breathe, my heart starts pounding, etc. It used to happen when I'd exercise, but over 13 years its now affecting me when I don't do much of anything. I CAN'T do much of anything.

I'm in my late 20's. I have a husband and 2 kids. I'm worried.

I don't know exactly what's going on yet. The Dr. said they found abnormalities on my Echo. I'll have a TEE (trans esophageal echocardiogram) on Tuesday morning. I guess then we'll know more. I just want this to be over with, get it fixed, and move on.

Yes this is a worrying time for you.

I have had the priviledge of surviving two heart attacks, the first was a real eye watering experience and second one was no barrel of laughing monkeys either. I had my first one at 40 and the second at 41.

Thats seven years now without any more. I take tablets every day for various stuff, and I have had a number of procedures carried out on my heart to fix various things.

The purpose of the brief synopsis is to show, that although its a scary time, it is entirely possible to overcome heart problems. Some of the stuff looks a lot scarier than it is, and modern cardioligists are pretty highly trained experts, so trust the doctors.

I hope that you get good news on Tuesday, let us know what happens, you can PM if you wish, I have a lot of experience dealing with this stuff, unfortunately.

• Author
clandestinidad

Thank you for your kind words, witabix. It means a great deal to me that you'd take the time.

So, I have an update! After my TEE, which was pretty uneventful since I was put to sleep, the Dr. said that I do have a PFO (hole in the wall inside the heart) and a right to left shunt. I asked him about Pulmonary Hypertension and he said that he doesn't think I have it. That goes against EVERYthing I've read, because apparently once the pressure builds up in the right side of your heart the blood flowing through the 'hole' in a left to right direction will switch to a right-left direction. And once you have that, you have pulmonary hypertension. It's like water flowing upstream, and all based on high pressure in the heart. If a blood clot ever forms, it can go straight to the brain, causing a stroke. Even without that, though, the pulmonary hypertension is bad enough...especially since I'm so young. Untreated PFO's are usually asymptomatic, but sometimes if they are untreated for a long time you can develop pulmonary hypertension in old age. Worst case scenario is a heart-lung transplant b/c there's not much you can do for advanced cases. I don't think we're there yet, though.

So, I've switched Dr's because he said that he needed to consult with someone about my situation, leading us to believe that he doesn't have much expertise in something like this. Things are working out very well regarding that. I called an excellent heart hospital, and was able to get an appointment tomorrow with someone who just happens to be their expert in situations like mine! They'll need to do a heart catheterization to measure the pressues in my heart. The nurse was putting everything in order on their end, making it very clear that I must be evaluated immediately.

Anyway, thats my update

Well you seem well informed thats good.

Take a positive attitude and it will stand you in good stead.

Keep us posted on events....

My best wishes to you.