The dreaded fat stomach hips and thighs!

allieapplesauce

I joined a YMCA back in August and was going until about January--I would do the treadmill on the highest elevation at like speed 3-4 for 30-60 min a few days a week and some other exercises like with the leg machine or the ab machine and so on...I tried to go 3-4 times a week but usually go there like 2 x and it ended up always being packed that i couldn't do anything, so i quit for now.

anyway, all that time i went i may have lost like 4 pounds but it didnt help my figure or help me fit my clothes any better.

i had figured if i lost like 5-10 pounds in general then i could work better at the problem areas next. I'm like 140 lbs, 5'6 and i'm 25 yrs. My prob is like fat thighs and like love handles? my stomach isn't real bad except that i can't find pants EVER. the one pair that is my fav is falling apart. so what pants do is squeeze in too much and then shirts look bad. I don't buy my pants toooo tight. So what i wanna try and do is work out and fix those areas....anyone have any effective exercises? i bought a pilates dvd and try that.....i just never see any results! i dont pig out on junk food all the time, i eat somewhat healthy....

any ideas would be great that you can just do at home.

There's no such thing as targeting specific areas. If you want to get rid of fat, you're going to have to lose fat. The most effective way to do that is via high-intensity cardio in conjunction with weight-lifting.

As far as clothes go, high-rise pants actually look surprisingly good on girls with love-handles.

• 2 weeks later...

Empire waists! I have developed a belly and love handles since starting college...5 years ago....and I am trying to get on track with slimming back down. In the meantime, I try to find tops or dresses with an empire waist because it brings attention to the bust instead of the belly, will usually hide the belly/handles, and makes your legs and torso look longer.

I joined a YMCA back in August and was going until about January--I would do the treadmill on the highest elevation at like speed 3-4 for 30-60 min a few days a week and some other exercises like with the leg machine or the ab machine and so on...I tried to go 3-4 times a week but usually go there like 2 x and it ended up always being packed that i couldn't do anything, so i quit for now.

anyway, all that time i went i may have lost like 4 pounds but it didnt help my figure or help me fit my clothes any better.

i had figured if i lost like 5-10 pounds in general then i could work better at the problem areas next. I'm like 140 lbs, 5'6 and i'm 25 yrs. My prob is like fat thighs and like love handles? my stomach isn't real bad except that i can't find pants EVER. the one pair that is my fav is falling apart. so what pants do is squeeze in too much and then shirts look bad. I don't buy my pants toooo tight. So what i wanna try and do is work out and fix those areas....anyone have any effective exercises? i bought a pilates dvd and try that.....i just never see any results! i dont pig out on junk food all the time, i eat somewhat healthy....

any ideas would be great that you can just do at home.

We sound like we have pretty much the same body type (5'7, 145 - I take it all on the butt and hips) and all I can say is that yoga and pilates eventually really improved my posture, which in turn made it so I looked leaner.

Outside of actually changing my body type, I found that the trick to dealing with big tighs is to: always look at your shoulders first when looking in the mirror. I tend to look at my tighs first, which makes me miss the whole, quite lovely, picture. Looking at my shoulders, which are as broad as my hips, actually forces me to aknowledge that my body shape is balanced - even if it's not runway perfect.

When you are trying to burn fat you need to pay attention to your heart rate. Go to this site (http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/bl_THR.htm) and enter your info to get your target heart rate. The lower half of that is what you should keep your heart rate at to burn fat.

Also have you ever done exercises with a medicine ball? Some of them are great for your hips and love handles.

Trialbyfire

Why not buy a larger size pant, then have them tailored to fit? As long as the rise fits, the rest can be altered accordingly.

Beyond that, yes, you have to burn fat throughout your body and the lower half will probably end up to be the last place it comes off.

You need to get back into a routine. Try to take fast paced walks atleast 3-4 times a week and for atleast 30-45 minutes. Remember you have to walk fast. You could get a few light dumbells and google a free website that will have different work outs you can do for every muscle in your body. You should probably do muscle work outs atleast twice a week. As far as your diet I would recomend drinking only water, as soda and juices will add calories that won't fill you up as much. Try to split your meals into 4-5 meals that way your always eating and feeling full so you may actualy end up eating less then if you let yourself get real hungry and over indulge. Try to fill yourself with fruits, nuts, and vegatebles. avoid sugars like High Fructose corn syrup.

When you are trying to burn fat you need to pay attention to your heart rate. Go to this site (http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/bl_THR.htm) and enter your info to get your target heart rate. The lower half of that is what you should keep your heart rate at to burn fat.

Also have you ever done exercises with a medicine ball? Some of them are great for your hips and love handles.

Mine is between 122-157...I want to lose 10-15 lbs...what if my heart rate is closer to the 150's??? Am I still burning fat or do I have to slow it down?

Mine is between 122-157...I want to lose 10-15 lbs...what if my heart rate is closer to the 150's??? Am I still burning fat or do I have to slow it down?

You would still be burning fat but not as efficiently as if you were to keep your heart rate lower, 120-140 should be good. Yoga or Pilates would also help you lose fat and gain muscle if you do it consistently.

BlueEyedGirl

Try to dress to maximize your good features. Flattering pants are quite hard to find if you have stomach/hip/thigh area problem. Skirts are generally much more flattering. I have similar problem but have learned to play up my chest/long legs and arms by wearing empire waist dresses and short skirts with v-neck short sleeved tops. Depending on where you live, moderate amount of naturally looking fake tan is your friend.

Trialbyfire

Yoga or Pilates would also help you lose fat and gain muscle if you do it consistently.

This combination, is my poison of choice, that I do anywhere from 5 - 7 days a week, anywhere from 20 - 45 minutes per session. It will not bulk you up, which is the look I despise. In my opinion, ripped women look rude.

It's more for longer, leaner muscles, and a more toned look, if you're consistent. It's great for posture and core strengthening.