Not losing weight!! Don't know why?

Confused5433

It's been a month since I joined the gym and got a personal trainer. I try to go to the gym 6 days a week, PT twice a week and starter to have my 3 meals with snacks a day. The problem..I've gained 2 pounds. I don't get it. Im working hard, eating better. The only things I need to work on is drinking my 90oz of water and eat less at night. But still shouldn't I have lost at least 1 pound by now. My job is very sedentary, and before I used to just have two big health meals (lunch and dinner). Now Im trying to eat more, healthy and drink my water but nothing. I even do weight training and everything.

My body fat is still at 35%, which is really bad and as far as cardio I do 30-45 min of Heart rate over 130 bpm. What's going on?

Has anybody gone through this same problem when they first hit the gym? Am I asking for too much since it's only been a month?

Help! I have a wedding to go in June and need to loose 30 lbs.

What do your snacks consist of?

What is your goal weight and how much do you want to loose? are your goals healthy and realistig?

You have consulted a pt for your workouts ,how about a nutionist for your diet?

Typically people will eat six small meals a day. High in protien low fat. Carbs should be also kept in check. I try and limit them to workout days. I know I know they are all around us and hard to avoid but just be concious of them.

Sugars should also be watched. When cosumed they tend to spike insulin and as a result of this the body will tend to store more fat.

Im no expert so like I said maybe consult a nutrionist and keep working out.

Edited by frd150
It's been a month since I joined the gym and got a personal trainer. I try to go to the gym 6 days a week, PT twice a week and starter to have my 3 meals with snacks a day. The problem..I've gained 2 pounds. I don't get it. Im working hard, eating better. The only things I need to work on is drinking my 90oz of water and eat less at night. But still shouldn't I have lost at least 1 pound by now. My job is very sedentary, and before I used to just have two big health meals (lunch and dinner). Now Im trying to eat more, healthy and drink my water but nothing. I even do weight training and everything.

My body fat is still at 35%, which is really bad and as far as cardio I do 30-45 min of Heart rate over 130 bpm. What's going on?

Has anybody gone through this same problem when they first hit the gym? Am I asking for too much since it's only been a month?

Help! I have a wedding to go in June and need to loose 30 lbs.

Two things come to mind reading your post. A) you're over-exaggerating how much you work-out and/or your new diet. B) You've gained muscle (replacing the fat lost) and are stuck in the stone age looking at the scale. In a month of exercising 6 days a week with a trainer, means that your trainer sucks or you're not really going 6 days a week (or are eating more, off-setting the caloric deficit you gain from exercising). Or some strange medical condition. It's pretty much impossible, barring those reasons.

Geishawhelk
Two things come to mind reading your post. A) you're over-exaggerating how much you work-out and/or your new diet. B) You've gained muscle (replacing the fat lost) and are stuck in the stone age looking at the scale.

Yup. Muscle weighs more than fat.

I knew a lady whose 12-year-old son weighed more than his father, because he was training to be a gymnast. Not by much, but definitely a few lbs more....

Keep an accurate diary of everything that goes into your mouth...

And maybe you're doing the wrong execises for what you want to achieve....

start eating 5-6 small meals a day,keeps metabo burning,breakfast is still the king.i'm inclined to agree w/ other poster. either your pt stinks or there's cheating on your part.if everything you say is correct,then going to a dr. should be next. full blood work including thyroid.

• Author
Confused5433

Thanks for your replies. I haven't been consistent maybe for the 2nd week because I was sick. But overall I would say I have kept up about 90% of the time. Right now Im at 186 with 35% body fat, my goal is to go to 18-20% body fat and a weight of 140lbs which is ideal. I dont' care how long it takes, but I just want to start seeing results and so far nothing.

Like I said the water intake I need to increase, and I will keep your suggestions in mind. I started a food log and counting calories to see what's going on. As far as my PT, she's great. Makes me work hard for those 30min twice a week and I feel good with her.

I will keep improving and just paying closer attention to my diet. She did say part of losing weight is 70% diet and 30% exercise.

Thank you all for your comments and Ill see what progress I make in the next 4 weeks.

By the way, I really hope I get to tone up by June. I will be a bridesmaid and we will have a family reuinion then...Ahhh!!! :)

Time to work hard!!

I find a tape measure is a much better indicator than either bodyfat % or the scales.

Take your hips, waist, bust and thigh measurements every two weeks- if you are exercising as much as you say you are you should notice a difference.

Watch your snacks and meals- portion sizes count for ALOT. counting calories is tedious, but it does work.

Thanks for your replies. I haven't been consistent maybe for the 2nd week because I was sick. But overall I would say I have kept up about 90% of the time. Right now Im at 186 with 35% body fat, my goal is to go to 18-20% body fat and a weight of 140lbs which is ideal. I dont' care how long it takes, but I just want to start seeing results and so far nothing.

Like I said the water intake I need to increase, and I will keep your suggestions in mind. I started a food log and counting calories to see what's going on. As far as my PT, she's great. Makes me work hard for those 30min twice a week and I feel good with her.

I will keep improving and just paying closer attention to my diet. She did say part of losing weight is 70% diet and 30% exercise.

Thank you all for your comments and Ill see what progress I make in the next 4 weeks.

By the way, I really hope I get to tone up by June. I will be a bridesmaid and we will have a family reuinion then...Ahhh!!! :)

Time to work hard!!

Losing weight is unimportant, having a proper body composition is. I also disagree with her statement. Losing weight is all about creating a caloric deficit (expending more calories than you consume). This can be accomplished by either method alone, but generally works best when both avenues are used (and used for life). Also, exercising will vastly increase one's metabolic rate, leading to greater results in the long run. There's only so many calories in a day you can limit yourself, that is without causing chemical reactions in the body that are actually counter-productive to weight loss and/or harmful.

If you're serious about changing your body in such a short time-frame, I'd suggest getting a full check-up first. Once you know how healthy (or unhealthy) you actually are, this will give you a guideline on how hard you can push yourself and also how aggressive you can be when trying supplements. Supplements will help you push limits through chemical enhancement, but can be dangerous for people that are unhealthy (even some that are healthy), especially if used incorrectly. The main thing to remember is that extreme effort = extreme results... with extreme effort comes increased risks though. Most people fail to get desired results because they aim too high and don't match the effort required to achieve those results.

We all have lapses in motivation. Ultimately we only have one person to blame, ourselves. Check out the link for some motivation.

xpaperxcutx

What does your meals consist of? Are they high in protein, carbs, or fats? Normally for you to lose weight, you have to burn more calories then you consume.

Drink lots of water. It's the most effective thing next to antioxidants of flushing out the toxins from your body. And you mustn't drink soda or anything carbonic. All they do is make you bloated. Always have a water bottle with you at all times.

In order to lose weight, you must maintain a combination of weight and cardio exercises. Try to do some circuit training where you mix up your routines so your body doesn't become to accustomed to the workout and built up a tolerance.

RecordProducer
What's going on?

1. You won't lose any weight until you start feeling hungry. Go to bed hungry. Eating at night is bad.

2. Weight lifting doesn't help you lose weight. Do some fast walking and a little bit of jogging.

3. Try to eat ONLY healthy food. Don't put anything unhealthy in your mouth. Eat only chicken breast, fish, eggs, fresh/boiled/baked veggies, fresh fruits, low-fat milk, cereal (half a cup), a couple of slices of whole-grain bread.. you get the picture. Don't putdressing on your salad, forget all the spreads, beef, pork, dairy (except low-fat farmer's cheese).

4. Start counting calories. Statistics show that most people who can't lose weight are totally unaware of their daily calorie intake. They believe they eat less than they do, smaller quantities, and healthier food than it actually is.

Diets always work for me. It's hard for me to stick to them because they are not fun, but when I do, I always lose weight quickly. Just stop fooling yourself that you're doing everything right. If you feel full, you're NOT on a diet.

The diet that my personal trainer recommended and really works well is as follows:

One yolk and three whites,a slice of bread OR a glass of non-fat milk.

A glass of milk with whey protein powder (this really helps build muscle).

Tuna fish with veggies for lunch and a slice of bread.

One chicken breast with a cup of veggies or rice for dinner, no later than 6 PM.

That's all. It's a very difficult diet, but you can lose 1 lb per day if you exercise on top of that. I weighed about 135 lbs at the time. if you weigh much more than that, you will have to consume more calories. It's best if someone writes down a diet plan for you, because then you know exactly what to eat.

An easier way of dieting for me is to simply stick to small portions of healthy food, go to bed hungry and walk every day. If you choose food high in protein and avoid fats, you will build muscles quickly and lose fat.

1. You won't lose any weight until you start feeling hungry. Go to bed hungry. Eating at night is bad.

2. Weight lifting doesn't help you lose weight. Do some fast walking and a little bit of jogging.

3. Try to eat ONLY healthy food. Don't put anything unhealthy in your mouth. Eat only chicken breast, fish, eggs, fresh/boiled/baked veggies, fresh fruits, low-fat milk, cereal (half a cup), a couple of slices of whole-grain bread.. you get the picture. Don't putdressing on your salad, forget all the spreads, beef, pork, dairy (except low-fat farmer's cheese).

4. Start counting calories. Statistics show that most people who can't lose weight are totally unaware of their daily calorie intake. They believe they eat less than they do, smaller quantities, and healthier food than it actually is.

Diets always work for me. It's hard for me to stick to them because they are not fun, but when I do, I always lose weight quickly. Just stop fooling yourself that you're doing everything right. If you feel full, you're NOT on a diet.

The diet that my personal trainer recommended and really works well is as follows:

One yolk and three whites,a slice of bread OR a glass of non-fat milk.

A glass of milk with whey protein powder (this really helps build muscle).

Tuna fish with veggies for lunch and a slice of bread.

One chicken breast with a cup of veggies or rice for dinner, no later than 6 PM.

That's all. It's a very difficult diet, but you can lose 1 lb per day if you exercise on top of that. I weighed about 135 lbs at the time. if you weigh much more than that, you will have to consume more calories. It's best if someone writes down a diet plan for you, because then you know exactly what to eat.

An easier way of dieting for me is to simply stick to small portions of healthy food, go to bed hungry and walk every day. If you choose food high in protein and avoid fats, you will build muscles quickly and lose fat.

What?

Weight-lifting is a big component in losing fat. Who the hell told you that it doesn't help? Weight-lifting increases muscle mass (hopefully lean), which in turns increases the amount of calories you need to consume (meaning that you don't have to starve yourself to keep up a caloric deficit). Not to mention the exertion of energy (calories) to perform the training... it's not like doing cardio, but it is quite helpful. Also weight-lifting helps you shape your body, prevent injury, increase stamina and become stronger.

P.S. You don't have to feel hungry to have effective weight loss. Eat more often, but less per serving, it should remove much of the hunger pangs. Nor is eating at night bad in all situations. Not eating for periods of time longer than 6 hours can send your body into a type of shock. This shock, signals the body to start cannibalizing muscle. So if you're trying to gain mass, it's actually good to eat before bed (not a full meal or anything, but a little something).

What?

Weight-lifting is a big component in losing fat. Who the hell told you that it doesn't help? Weight-lifting increases muscle mass (hopefully lean), which in turns increases the amount of calories you need to consume (meaning that you don't have to starve yourself to keep up a caloric deficit). Not to mention the exertion of energy (calories) to perform the training... it's not like doing cardio, but it is quite helpful. Also weight-lifting helps you shape your body, prevent injury, increase stamina and become stronger.

P.S. You don't have to feel hungry to have effective weight loss. Eat more often, but less per serving, it should remove much of the hunger pangs. Nor is eating at night bad in all situations. Not eating for periods of time longer than 6 hours can send your body into a type of shock. This shock, signals the body to start cannibalizing muscle. So if you're trying to gain mass, it's actually good to eat before bed (not a full meal or anything, but a little something).

Absolutley!

When I satared I had already lost some wieght due to my break up but I still had a tire around my mid section. I eat as I said about six times a day my last meal is at about 9 and it consists of cottage cheese (low fat),natural peanut butter and half a banna,or a whey shake.

Eating the small meals along with exercise will help your metabolism.

I actually weigh a little more now but I can see my abs and my chest arms and back are bigger. Ok for a guy and I know your goals are not the same but do not rule out the wieghts. Low wieght for you with more reps.

Remember Muscel burns fat and never ever starv yourself!!!

StartingOver07

Not only does muscle have a higher metabolic rate than fat, which helps you to lose weight, but muscle is denser than fat, which means that 140 at 18% bodyfat will likely look tight/slim whereas 140 at 25% bodyfat will likely look jiggly/fat.

To gain muscle, you have to lift weights whcih are heavy for you, preferably in the 8-12 rep range. Do this 3x/week and focus n compound movements.

Use www.fitday.com to track your calories and macros. Use it religiously for 1-2 weeks until you understand exactly what you are eating. Eat as close to nature as possible.

SpanksTheMonkey
The only things I need to work on is drinking my 90oz of water and eat less at night..

That may well be your prob right there anything you eat after a cirtin hour just lays there and turns into fat as you sleep. I don't eat anything after 8pm anymore even thats prob pushing it.