so, i just became a member at a local gym, and have been working out for an hour just about everyday. my routine consists of cardio (running/stair-climbing), stretching, and weight training (i'm trying to tone my arms, back, butt and thighs).

i'm also planning on attending a pilates fitness class that is offered there once a week.

my question is, based on this routine i have going, does anyone know about how long it will take until i start seeing some results? i'm not necessarily trying to lose weight, but just trying to get in shape and have a more 'fit', toned looking body. (hopefully by spring break so i can bust out my bikini!)

also, any tips for ways i could be doing things differently?

I'd say you should be able to notice fitness changes within 3 or 4 sessions. You should be able to see physical changes in your body in 2 weeks, roughly. How long it takes for you to get to a point where no more noticeable improvements can be made depends on 1) how far out of shape you were when you started, and 2) how consistent you are with your workouts. Assuming you were "average", I'd give you 10 - 12 weeks to complete your metamorphosis.

If you're very consistent and actually increase your workout as if training for sports, you would plateau and would find it very difficult to make further gains either in how you look or how fit you are in about 12 weeks. At that time you would want to back off for 2-4 weeks, maybe longer, before starting another program.

I've always noticed changes within about 2 weeks.

Lately though my "workouts" have included consumption of large amounts of alcohol, which has hindered my progress.

I find I notice my mood improves a bit after three sessions and then improves greatly after three weeks of regular exercise. Paying attention to how good you feel will most likely help you stay motivated.

I agree with the above posters.

If you're working out hard, then 2-3 weeks is a realistic timeframe to start seeing results.

I see a lot of people spend an hour at the gym doing pretty pathetic cardio/weights and will probably never see results though.

so, i just became a member at a local gym, and have been working out for an hour just about everyday. my routine consists of cardio (running/stair-climbing), stretching, and weight training (i'm trying to tone my arms, back, butt and thighs).

i'm also planning on attending a pilates fitness class that is offered there once a week.

my question is, based on this routine i have going, does anyone know about how long it will take until i start seeing some results? i'm not necessarily trying to lose weight, but just trying to get in shape and have a more 'fit', toned looking body. (hopefully by spring break so i can bust out my bikini!)

Exercise is important but even more so is your diet. You can lose weight without exercising if you simply take in less calories than you burn.

You need to cut out fatty foods, sugars and alcohol if you want to see the results as soon as possible.

If you're trying to burn fat then do the fat burning exercises on the machines. I would say 60 minutes a day is good. I would recommend exercising first thing in the morning before breakfast.

Eat 5 small meals a day to boost your metabolism.

Then lift light weights in the afternoon.

In 6 months you could lose a significant amount of weight. I went from 15% to 11% BF in about 3 months.

Now if I don't say so myself, I look pretty damn good. It took a lot of work (3 years worth) but I'm in bettter shape at 39 (waaay better) than I was at 20.

The thing is, don't give up easy or quit. You won't see results right away but after a few months you will notice it and it will motivate you to work harder :)

Spin classes > pilates

Dance classes > spinning

That's just my 2 cents...

Edited by CaliGuy

For me..I have noticed result's within a month! BTW.. Pilates is awesome. the result's are simply amazing! Have fun.

AP:)

Hi! Good for you for starting a workout program! Results depend on each individual but when you first start a program, you see change fairly quick because your body is "shocked". To keep from getting to the plateau (where it takes longer to see changes) you must keep "shocking" your body with different activities. Your body adapts quickly. I agree with doing cardio in the morning. Remember the more muscle mass you have, the faster your metabolism is so make sure you do your resistance training. The biggest mistake I see people make is thinking that more is better when they first start out. You only need an hour in the gym to increase weight loss and increase fitness level. Just challenge yourself with intervals and different activities. Diet is VERY important so keep your body fueled with good food and don't skip meals! Good luck to you!!

• 4 weeks later...
Quiksilver ca

Stay consistent and drink upwards of 4L of water per day. Also take 10g of fish oil(2 tbsp or 10 capsules) per day.