Strength training at home

Hi All, I really would like to work on strength-training, but I am not comfortabe going to the gym. I would love to tone up. I have a pair of 3 lb weights at home. Could someone suggest a useful website, or even your own suggestions, of what exercises I can do at home, for the entire body, so I get to firm up and tone up each muscle group? Or even exercises that don't require weights, but are still useful in toning up. I am at a loss where to begin and how to go about in an organized way. Thought someone here might have an idea of what to start with. Thanks in advance.

You can do speed walking. It is very effective in toning up the entire body. I usually speed-walk in the park for 40 minutes 2-3 times per week, in addition to going to the gym. The results are noticeable in a very short time. Most parks have monkey bars for the upper body, otherwise, you can buy 5 lb weights. They should be more effective than the 3 lbs.

Push-ups. With the dumbells do squats and lunges, and overhead presses. As strength builds start to add other movements like dumbell curls and tricip extensions (sort of like the opposite of the curling motion). Raise your arms from the side and bent over raising the arms from hanging down to parallel with the ground.

Push-ups. With the dumbells do squats and lunges, and overhead presses. As strength builds start to add other movements like dumbell curls and tricip extensions (sort of like the opposite of the curling motion). Raise your arms from the side and bent over raising the arms from hanging down to parallel with the ground.

These are great basics to start with, although I agree with oasis that you should get some heavier weights. The 3 pound weights won't do much to actually build muscle if that's all you ever use - muscle grows when it is required to by pushing it to lift more than it currently can easily lift, and doing more reps with low weight won't help. Think of it this way, you can lift a pencil 100 times, but it's not going to help your muscle grow (tone/build). Certainly, start with 3 if you are new and learning the proper form, but plan to gradually increase to 5 pound dumbbells, then 8, then 10.

I'm assuming you're female since you talk about 'toning'...google "Krista and Women's Weight Training". Her site has all kinds of really good articles on women and weights (and they myths associated with them - you will not 'bulk up' by lifting heavier weights!), as well as pictures of proper form (very important to prevent injury and get the results you want), getting started with weights, and different suggestions for training routines.

Also, go to YouTube and search for '8 minute buns' and '8 minute abs'. The buns workout is killer, especially if you eventually start to do them with some ankle weights. The abs workout is good, too, although you don't need to go crazy and do it every day. Your focus should be on the basics taiko mentioned above, the exercises that use your whole body.

you could do push ups with your feet at the bottom of a stair case that way it wont be as heavy as regular push ups. You could do squats out of a chair, just stop right before sitting down and then stand up again. You could go to a parking garage or some other place with stair cases you could walk up and down. Power walks would be good. If your weights are to light you could curl books or cans or watter bottles. with the weights you can lay on ur back on a mat or a work out bench woud be much just do a google search for lying tricep extensions, wrist curls, dumbell fly, dumbell bench press, leg lifts, bicycle crunch, dumbell squats, dumbell lunges, and dumbell calf raises. doing a google search will help you see how these moves are done. Make sure you take walks, the most important thing is to be activly trying something instead of putting it off, so go for a walk that gets your heart rate up and ur sweat pumping try to make it atleast 20 minutes

If you want to lose weight and/or tone up its always good to have family/friends/work colleagues to help motivate you; especially if you're doing it at home and not going to the gym. They will nag you if you don't keep up with the diet and exercise. I just signed up for the Times Health Club online at http://www.timeshealth.co.uk and will ask my friends to keep an eye on my progress there.

I am a personal trainer in New York City. One of the misconceptions about working out at home on your own is the notion that since its at your home, you're more likely to do it. Don't get wrong! I think there are many actively healthy home work out junkies, but, most of my clients, inside and outside of the actual gym space, allow their weights to accumulate dust or use them as door stoppers. There are much nicer door stoppers out there. :) Let's use the weights as weights!

I highly suggest that you do a thorough search for a personal trainer that is insured and have them come over to your place to do an assessment of your body type, any injuries, any discomforts, any imbalances or instability, your diet (although not all are nutritionists), your body fat, your physical fitness history, etc. Its not as easy as taking a few bits of advice here and there and trying to perform them by yourself. In fact, sometimes it can lead to injury or even MORE imbalance, instability, or the worst of them all (!!!), no results. Even if its just a one time deal, make the investment for your health and get personalized and accurate knowledge about what will work for you and what won't. Often times, you already have everything you need for a kick ass workout in your very home. Think soup cans, towels, chairs, stairs, carpet, etc. Find one that specializes in home training and you'll see how much more knowledge you can glean that is specific to YOU and your goals! Happy sweating!

Namaste

A personal trainer in the begining may be good idea, if you dont have the money maybe your lucky enough to know some old retired person or something that has the time to personaly train you abit. Its true that some people can't work out at home. I personaly can't work at home, so I go to the office, kind of the same concept. not that I get much work done at the ofice hehehe

StartingOver07

I'm assuming you're female since you talk about 'toning'...google "Krista and Women's Weight Training". Her site has all kinds of really good articles on women and weights (and they myths associated with them - you will not 'bulk up' by lifting heavier weights!), as well as pictures of proper form (very important to prevent injury and get the results you want), getting started with weights, and different suggestions for training routines.

This site is excellent. It dispels many of the myths surrounding weight training and provides several workouts you can do at home. Here is the link: http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

Another excellent resource is: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html This site lists exercises by muscle group and includes free weight movements you can do at home.

Tanbark's suggestion of www.bodybuilding.com is also good, although not nearly as focused at Krista's site.

p.s. There is no such thing as "tone." The visual effect that you are likely applying this label to comes from having a foundation of muscle and low enough bodyfat (not to be confused with weight) to reveal it.

p.s. There is no such thing as "tone." The visual effect that you are likely applying this label to comes from having a foundation of muscle and low enough bodyfat (not to be confused with weight) to reveal it.

good point alot of people think things like if they do situps there stomach will tone up... but theres no such thing as u said... only muscle to weight ratio

Hi All, I really would like to work on strength-training, but I am not comfortabe going to the gym. I would love to tone up. I have a pair of 3 lb weights at home. Could someone suggest a useful website, or even your own suggestions, of what exercises I can do at home, for the entire body, so I get to firm up and tone up each muscle group? Or even exercises that don't require weights, but are still useful in toning up. I am at a loss where to begin and how to go about in an organized way. Thought someone here might have an idea of what to start with. Thanks in advance.

Get a Bowflex. I have worn out 2 of them. It is a fabulous home gym and it works. If you look around, you can get a cheap used one. Good luck.

I am a personal trainer in New York City. One of the misconceptions about working out at home on your own is the notion that since its at your home, you're more likely to do it. Don't get wrong! I think there are many actively healthy home work out junkies, but, most of my clients, inside and outside of the actual gym space, allow their weights to accumulate dust or use them as door stoppers.

And we are one of them.

I would ask why do you not feel comfortable going to a gym?

Years ago, I got my wife a membership and she felt the same way. After I went with her a couple of times and she began attending, she loved it. Then when we had young children, it did not fit either of our schedules. We bought a treadmill (which is for sale) and a nice set of weights (which I will keep for my kids). She used them somewhat, I never did. This past year we again joined the gym. Both of us work out much more than we ever did at home. While some do work out at home, most are better motivated at a gym.

Personally, I would say find a gym and take a tour. If you do not like a co-ed gym, then consider a all women's gym in your area. Around here, there is a place called Curves. I went there as a possible place for my wife, but she decided to join through her work. However, I noticed that it was ordinary women doing a normal routine. Here is their website.

http://www.curves.com/

Before staying at home, consider investing in a gym membership. Our experience has been that we have both been much more motivated when surrounded by others who are exercising with us.

• 2 weeks later...