I'm not sure if there are many people here that ride bicycles, but this weekend I'm going to do a 34 mile (round trip) ride on my bike. The elevation is 687 feet in 17 miles then I'll turn around & come back down.

I ride a hybrid bike so it is slower then the road bikes, but I feel for what I do it works better then a road bike.

Just wondering if this is a good size ride for an old man (mid 40's) & riding a hybrid type bike?????

I plan on taking some zone bars & a couple of water bottles.....

I have riden 25 miles from work to home 3 times in the last month, but even though there are lots of hills I have to ride up the elevation is 448' higher at my work then it is at home. :(

I figure if I get tired I can always just turn around & go home downhill......;):)

Citizen Erased

I don't have a clue about what you are asking, but now I have the Queen song in my head "Bicycle bicycle bicycle

I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle

I want to ride my bicycle

I want to ride my bike

I want to ride my bicycle

I want to ride it where I like"

:lmao:

Depends on if you have been training for some time and what the weather is like. A 34 mile trip is not a big deal if you are ready for it but with only a couple of water bottles it may be a real chore. You need to drink a bottle of water every 5 to 10 miles if it is hot other wise you will get dehydrated. If you get thirsty it is to late so you need to drink all the time your riding.

I understand what it takes to do a ride like that. In many years of racing I rode that distance at various fitness levels in just about every weather condition. So here's my take on it:

Go for it. I'm guessing you'll go about 15-16 miles/hour. So that's just over 2 hours. 687 feet is not that bad. You'll feel proud of yourself when you're done.

And like you said, if it turns out to be difficult, you can always turn back.

If I remember correctly, you're in Colorado. If you want to say where you'll be riding, that would make it easier to judge. You can PM it to me if you want.

• Author
I understand what it takes to do a ride like that. In many years of racing I rode that distance at various fitness levels in just about every weather condition. So here's my take on it:

Go for it. I'm guessing you'll go about 15-16 miles/hour. So that's just over 2 hours. 687 feet is not that bad. You'll feel proud of yourself when you're done.

I won't be going that fast at least up hill. When I ride home from work I only average 13-14 MPH....

If I remember correctly, you're in Colorado. If you want to say where you'll be riding, that would make it easier to judge. You can PM it to me if you want.

I'll be riding up the Big Thompson Canyon if you know where that is.

As for water when I ride home the 25 miles I usually just use one water bottle & that seemed to be enough, but maybe I need to carry my 3L Camel back?

I figure a couple power bars & a couple banana's for food....

Today I'm going to ride home from work & I'll drink more water & see if that makes a difference. Only thing I know when I do get home I am usually starved so I've been eating a power bar before I leave work & that seems to help a lot....

As for training me & the wife carpool to her work, then I ride the 7 miles to my work & then once in a while I'll ride home instead of meeting her after work, but that is about it for training.

This weekends trip is half way to a trip I was hoping to do this year so if I can make this one then the next one is twice as far with even more mountains to climb. :eek:

• Author

I made it, I even did better then what I was hoping for.....

Started out at 7:20 & made my destination by 9:05. There is a pretty good size hill climb that I was passed by a gal on a road bike & she made it look so easy.

When I got there I was talking to a gal that lives in the area & another guy that came from Ft. Collins & was headed farther then I was, so I figured I might as well go up to the next little town that is only 8 miles farther. Well those last 8 miles were steeper & it took me a while but I made it.

Coming down was a blast, I have a friend that wants to get a ride up & ride down so I called him today & we are going to have my W take us up & we will ride down together.

Once I got out of the canyon my legs felt like Jell-o but I still had another 10 miles to home, so I had to stop & rest for about 10 minutes to eat & drink some water. I thought of calling our son & have him come pick me up but I didn't & now that I am home I am glad I didn't.

So here are the specs: :D

Time: 7:20-12:00

Miles: 50 miles round trip

Elevation climb: over 2,000' (give or take because I can't find the exact elev.)

Average speed: 11.8

Max. speed: 35MPH

I took 3 water bottles & filled one up on the way & still ran out, plus I took a few power bars & ate those about every hour & I feel that really helped.

I was just wondering how much better a road bike is compared to my hybrid? Or should I say how much easier would that trip be on a road bike?

I am tempted to rent a road bike & do it again maybe next month.....

Well, I am in to road racing. I have a road bike and just did my 4th century yesterday. It was hot and windy!

I have two other centuries this season and just love this sport. Hvae you heard of LOTAJA? That is a goal of mine!

One thing you need to think of is before doing anything big is how you fuel up the day before a ride, even if it is a 30 some odd ride up the hills.

Nutrition is a big factor for the day of and for recovery.

One way to increase your base miles is for one ride you do, increase the milage by 10 per cent on the next one. And join a biking club! I am sure they have some in colorado!

Best

• Author

I have never heard of the LOTAJA. I don't know for me anything with the word century in it doesn't sound like fun....:D:D

I called my friend who has been wanting to have someone take us up the mountain & then we ride our bikes down & asked if he still was wanting to do it?

My wife would take us up & then we could ride back home, which he is still interested in doing so that is in our plans next month.

I would also like my son to go with but we need to get him a helmet so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what brand & type of helmet to get?

The one I use is a few years old & I'm thinking of getting a newer one specially since they have a better way of adjusting them on your head. The one I have could fall off the back of my head if I hit it hard enough & I was reading on line that they shouldn't move hardly at all.....

Seems like Bell & Giro are the two big name brands & I also heard the cheap ones work just as well as the expensive ones; you just don't look as cool..;):D

We have two bike shops that are having sells this weekend so we are going shopping.....