A girl the other day asked me what I do for motivation to keep working out, etc?

I told her I wasn't sure, just that I can do more things then I did before but yesterday I went 4-wheeling & had to walk back down the hill about 25-30 yards to help spot for some of the other vehicles & when I was done I jocked back up the hill to my vehicle.

There is no way I could have done that last year at this time, in fact I would have walked up the hill, stopped half way & catch my breath.

I look at those types of things & for me that is what is keeping me going now, knowing I am in better shape in my 40's then I was in my 20's.

So what do others use as motivation? I would like to hear ideas so I could share them with my co-worker.

She did bring in a pair of her old pants that she used to wear & it looks like she has lots a LOT of weight, but she is still pretty heavy I would like to keep at it to lose more....

She said she doesn't like to work out so that makes it a little harder as well.

I'm also in my 40s.

What motivates me is that it is hitting home that I'm no longer in my 20s, and that my physical shape WILL deteriorate if I don't take proactive steps to reverse it.

For the past year and a half, I've reversed the downhill trend and have gone uphill, which is the direction I'd like to 2keep as long as possible.

Also (and maybe a little less positive), my marriage is kind of shakey and I'm aware that I'll need to be in the best shape possible in case I become single again (but don't tell my wife that).

I suffer from depression that only gets worse when I don't exercise. Eating foods with refined sugar (which I LOVE) also can send me spinning into a depressive spiral--the more sugar I eat, the more I crave, the more weight I gain, and the more depressed I get. I cry, I can't get out of bed, I can't do my work, I don't see any point to anything.

Antidepressants did not work well for me, and the side effects were unacceptable.

I found that when I give up foods with refined sugar AND exercise vigorously for 45-60 minutes daily (breathing hard, pushing my limits), my depression lifts. It may not leave completely, but it lessens so that I can have energy, focus on my work, and even feel hopeful for a moment or two. On some days, I'm even somewhat happy.

My motivation to exercise is so that I can have those moments. When I want to have cake or cookies, I can resist them only by reminding myself that this moment's enjoyment of a sugary dessert will turn toxic very quickly.

Every morning, I have to remind myself that exercise is MY side-effect-free antidepressant pill and if I don't take it, things get bad very quickly. That's usually enough to get me going.