Cigarettes

I am 4 days tabacco free. Smoking is a nasty habit. I have finally decided that it's time to quit. Anyone have advice for avoiding cravings? What helped you quit? What can I do to avoid starting up again in the future?

slubberdegullion

I'm doing the same (see http://www.loveshack.org/forums/t71784/). It's a struggle, but apparently nicotine goes out of your system relatively quickly, somewhere around 24 hours. But the withdrawal can go on for a couple of weeks.

The upside is that after 24 hours, most of the withdrawal issues are psychological and not physical. Now, that doesn't make them any less troubling, but if you can find a way to re-train your body and brain - for instance, have a glass of water every time you get a craving - you'll be well on your way to smoke-free.

There's more here: http://www.selfhelpmagazine.com/qa/qaatd/qaatd3.html

Good luck!

{By the way, I LOVE your signature line! Very cute!}

Congrats to you all for quitting. I'm a smoker and have been smoking since I was 17, now 35. I want so bad to quit but then again I don't. I keep telling myself its the healthy thing to do. I know I can do it and I don't need a patch, thearpy, gum, hypnosis etc to do so, I know I can do it, its just a matter of me really, really wanting too. Once again congrats for quitting!!:)

Jade

Throw away all tobacco, ashtrays,and lighters.

Keep very busy.

Go places you can't smoke or chew

Stay away from smokers

Clean your clothes to rid them of tobacco odor.

Handling Your Urges

Remember, urges only last 2 - 3 minutes.

Light an incense candle instead.

Exercise or go for a walk.

Keep your hands busy (do a puzzle, write a letter).

Take a shower.

Call a friend or family member for support.

Brush your teeth or use mouthwash after meals.

Avoid caffeine and alcohol

Write down your reasons for quitting smoking and remind yourself these benefits regularly

Delay the urge for a cigarette. Put something other than a cigarette in your mouth. e.g. sugarless gum

Delay (2-3 minutes)

Drink a glass of water

Deep breathing

Distraction

I want to quit!

I have not started yet!

"If I never met you, I wouldn't like you. If I didn't like you, I wouldn't love you. If I didn't love you, I wouldn't miss you. But I did, I do, and I will."

Anonymous quotes