Another bad « Habbit » possibly less dangerous

Hey LS, I’m talking addiction to internet/social media’s and various phone apps. It’s all nice to own the fancy iPhone8 but incidentally I don’t even need a laptop or my tablet anymore. I spend quite some times on it in the evening and sometimes my GF tap me on the shoulder to make me understand to chat more with her rather than browse FB gossips and WhatsApp peers.

She has moved in with me for a few weeks now and I’m trying to take care of her more. Mind you, last summer here has been sunny and hot and we were out for tons of activities all the time

Now it’s cold and rainy and we mostly Netflix or listen to YT on the TV. Occasionally having a restaurant or a drink.

Do you also suffer from this strange « disease » that is being addicted to 21st century flat screen and how does your own couple manage to make it work without one complaining about this addiction?

Happy Lemming

Simple solution... downgrade your phone to a "dumb" phone.

I have an older style dumb phone, it texts and makes phone calls and that is about it. Which (in my opinion) is what a phone is supposed to do.

People are a lot more important than what is on that smart phone or social media. Pay attention to your new girlfriend, SHE is a lot more fun than that phone or what people are doing on social media.

For the record, I have no social media, whatsoever, and don't go on any of the sites.

If its cold, play Scrabble or cards or bake cookies together. All kinds of fun inside activities to do.

• Like 2
If its cold, play Scrabble or cards or bake cookies together. All kinds of fun inside activities to do.

You left out one additional fun one ;) .

Do you also suffer from this strange « disease » that is being addicted to 21st century flat screen and how does your own couple manage to make it work without one complaining about this addiction?

I'd simply ask yourself, when preoccupied with screens, are you better off than "before", those ancient pre-smartphone days? For me, the answer is "no" but I'm older than the target demographic. Were I you, rather be talking to the person in front of me that the person online. YMMV...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
You left out one additional fun one ;) .

I figured that "one" was a given and they be looking for other ideas!! :)

I spend too much time online in general, mostly here. And then I also waste a lot of time on my android, though am on Twitter a lot less now.

With the border conflict, I'm glued to news on it a lot more than I would normally be because it's important to me. Once that's over, I'll be back to normal and just searching crime news.

I don't have a smart tv, so I was on Netflix and horrified to discover they don't carry old movies. Do a search and it's like, Clint who? I wasn't prepared for that. I stayed glued to my little android screen through my favorite series, Longmire, which was worth it, and then I did Mindhunters, which is right up my alley and I already know everything about but it never gets old. I held on to Netflix until this past week and still no Mindhunters Season 2, so I disconnected. They surveyed why and I told them "Waiting for Mindhunters Season 2." They better have it in the can. John Douglas is old. As Janis Joplin wrote, "Get while you can."

So I started a book a year ago and finally picked it up and finished it today, the Wanda Jackson autobiography. I read/type every day so as much as I love reading, I'm already doing too much of it, so leisure reading is usually confined to nonfiction crime stuff.

I can still have lunch without whipping out my phone, but since I often dine alone, it is increasingly rare. I do get out nearly every day and go to a nice restaurant or whatever. Today while leaving the Italian restaurant, an 82 year young lady stopped me and told me I had pretty hair, and turned out we are both Cherokee and she knows the old ways a lot more than I do since my dad tried to "pass" in case they were discriminating. I wouldn't mind picking her brain, and it was still pretty good too. Never know who you'll talk to.

Shanex, glad to hear you're settled into domestic bliss. Nothing wrong with relaxing and watching TV. Always good to make yourself do a little of everything, though. Keep the juices flowing.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Thanks for the replies peers.

Honestly it’s not much a big deal I know when to tune out and take care of her...

I mean I already tapered of the vaping and drinking quite a lot, and haven’t touched a blunt in many years, guess there are worse addictions around.

Eternal Sunshine

I don't really get what the problem is. If browsing internet forums and watching Netflix marathons makes me happy, that's all that matters. I don't see it as waste of time. When I was doing OLD and going to meet-ups, I hated most of it and that truly was a waste of time. I don't enjoy socializing and look forward to any alone time I can get (the more, the better :) ).

• Like 1