Seeing ppl drink and smoke on snapchat/real life triggers me

Anyone else feel like this?

I quit drinking 3 years ago. Had minor relapses. I have this person who posts videos of herself smoking ciggs, weed and drinking everyday looking cute and laughing. Most times she looks numb. My sister says shes in alot of pain.

Sometimes I feel like Im misding out. That my life is stressful and I have no fun escape anymore like I used to.

But I do. I do creative work, breathe, meditate, exercise.

Sometimes it bothers me seeing ppl drink. Like Im jealos and miss it.

But I know its bad long term.

I want to take care of myself and well.

Sometimes it bothers me seeing ppl drink. Like Im jealos and miss it.

You are BUD, Building Up to Drink.

First off, stop doing the things that trigger you.

If you are working a 12 step program then you need to call your sponsor as you do want to drink and only haven't yet.

Your sobriety legs are wobbly in times like this.

Being jealous and admitting to yourself that you miss it is just the disease telling you that it's okay to think those thoughts.. you are very close to drinking again.

If you are not working a 12 step program then talk these feelings out with someone close to you, get them off your chest and understand that day by day you don't need to take that drink, remember all the bad things about drinking that you went thru and why you quit and why you have lasted 3 years...

BTW, good for you on the 3 years.... keep on keeping on.

• Like 1
  • Author
You are BUD, Building Up to Drink.

First off, stop doing the things that trigger you.

If you are working a 12 step program then you need to call your sponsor as you do want to drink and only haven't yet.

Your sobriety legs are wobbly in times like this.

Being jealous and admitting to yourself that you miss it is just the disease telling you that it's okay to think those thoughts.. you are very close to drinking again.

If you are not working a 12 step program then talk these feelings out with someone close to you, get them off your chest and understand that day by day you don't need to take that drink, remember all the bad things about drinking that you went thru and why you quit and why you have lasted 3 years...

BTW, good for you on the 3 years.... keep on keeping on.

Art Critic - thank you so much for that! That's a great concept - "BUD". I haven't officially gone to AA but may do so. I hear after all is said and done it's one of the few things that works with abstaining from alcohol. Thanks again!

Go to AA. It will help. You will get support & a sponsor, a person you can lean on when you feel triggered.

Unfollow the trigger poster. You don't have to unfriend her but stop having her stuff punching you in the face every day.

A_C is far more knowledgeable on this than I however in dealing with such addictions personally with loved ones I found part of the success was changing one's social circle to move away from the addictions. I see this personally with a few ladies I know who have addictive personalities. When they're with like-minded people, they nearly always over-rev. The battle is not only with the bottle but with the people. Can't change people so gotta change oneself. Who we associate with is part of that change.

Good luck in your journey and there are a lot of caring and knowledgeable people out there who are willing to help. Let them.

• Like 1