LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Addiction & Recovery

Addiction to cigarettes

Addiction & Recovery Recognizing, conquering, and coping with addictions, substance abuse & dependence.

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th December 2017, 9:49 PM   #31
Established Member

I thought drinking and not smoking would be my biggest hurdle, but once I quit, I quickly became one of those annoying people who can't tolerate smoke around them. Honestly, smoke (and coffee smell) always turned my stomach in the morning and made me feel ill. Once I quit, it made me feel ill and smelled nasty all the time. It can happen that fast.
Old 28th December 2017, 10:19 PM   #32
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preraph View Post
I thought drinking and not smoking would be my biggest hurdle, but once I quit, I quickly became one of those annoying people who can't tolerate smoke around them. Honestly, smoke (and coffee smell) always turned my stomach in the morning and made me feel ill. Once I quit, it made me feel ill and smelled nasty all the time. It can happen that fast.
I quit smoking 3 years ago. Now my nose is hyper-sensitive to tobacco, I can smell it a mile away. It makes me sick.
Old 29th December 2017, 4:09 PM   #33
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carhill View Post
Since CA is about to start legal sales of marijuana in a few days, I have a question which may or may not have impacted anyone....

If one has managed to quit smoking tobacco, has occasional use of marijuana (smoking it) created temptation to return to the tobacco? Or are they two completely discrete .
I'm about to find it out first hand. I smoke weed, I forget about cigs for 3 hrs or so. Don't have desire to smoke cigs.

It definitely makes you look way older. Take a look at Jeremy clarkson huge smoker for years and he looks terribly old for his age..
Old 29th December 2017, 5:54 PM   #34
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I quit smoking 3 years ago. Now my nose is hyper-sensitive to tobacco, I can smell it a mile away. It makes me sick.
Isn't it funny how that happens. I bought a car after I quit smoking and it had never been smoked in. Once while driving a friend somewhere he just suddenly lit up a smoke in my car! I didn't see him do it because I had stepped out to go into a store. When I got back I just told him to open a window and let him smoke instead of telling him to put it out. That smoke bothered me so much. My eyes started to water and I felt like I wasn't getting enough air. For the rest of the day my car stunk of stale tobacco smoke and I was so mad about it. The next time I picked up that same friend I laid out the NO SMOKING in my car rule.

But it was funny because when I was smoker I thought people who made a big deal about the smell of smoke were being over dramatic just to be judgmental. I really did! To me the smell of cigarette smoke was barely noticeable and not offensive at all..LOL
anika99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 5:58 PM   #35
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carhill View Post
Since CA is about to start legal sales of marijuana in a few days, I have a question which may or may not have impacted anyone....

If one has managed to quit smoking tobacco, has occasional use of marijuana (smoking it) created temptation to return to the tobacco? Or are they two completely discrete processes? Was total cessation of smoking of any kind the key or OK on the MJ by itself? When I'm talking MJ I mean the traditional THC stuff, not the new designer stuff.
<snip>
That's a good question. I know my youngest son used to smoke weed on a daily basis. When he quit smoking cigarettes he said he started smoking more weed than usual for a few weeks. Then a couple of years later he quit smoking week and suddenly started to crave tobacco again. So it does seem that smoking one can help ease cravings for the other.

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 29th December 2017 at 6:14 PM.. Reason: Truncate quote
anika99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 6:35 PM   #36
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anika99 View Post
Isn't it funny how that happens. I bought a car after I quit smoking and it had never been smoked in. Once while driving a friend somewhere he just suddenly lit up a smoke in my car! I didn't see him do it because I had stepped out to go into a store. When I got back I just told him to open a window and let him smoke instead of telling him to put it out. That smoke bothered me so much. My eyes started to water and I felt like I wasn't getting enough air. For the rest of the day my car stunk of stale tobacco smoke and I was so mad about it. The next time I picked up that same friend I laid out the NO SMOKING in my car rule.

But it was funny because when I was smoker I thought people who made a big deal about the smell of smoke were being over dramatic just to be judgmental. I really did! To me the smell of cigarette smoke was barely noticeable and not offensive at all..LOL
also, after I quit I had a noticeable increase in my sense of smell and taste, it was great...
alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 6:49 PM   #37
Established Member

I quit using the patch and carrying a water bottle with me for whenever I had the urge to put something to my mouth.

I used the patch for a very long time though...maybe close to nine months and had to wean off...but I've been smoke free for two and a half years now.

Next I need to lose all this weight I gained
amaysngrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 6:49 PM   #38

I started smoking at 15 and quit at 22. It was very hard, but you got to keep trying, never stop quitting. The first 3 months will be hard, but when it's out of your system you're in the clear unless your dumb and smoke again, then you will be back at square 1.

Here is what helped me:

1) DO go for walks outside, chew gum. Sometimes we just need fresh air and chewing gum keeps the jitters busy.

2) DO NOT ask for drags or puffs. DO NOT buy cigarettes. DO NOT buy cigarellos or cigars. Stay the f away from all tobacco products. **** vaping.

3) DO stop hanging with your smoking friends until you are no longer addicted. Tell them, you love them, but you need some space for 3 months. If your friend offers you say no. If they do it again tell them to f off, tobacco addiction is serious and difficult and if they can't respect your wishes then you have to isolate yourself from them then.

4) Brainwash yourself. Instead of saying I can't I can't, or I'm addicted, say the opposite. I will and I have quit! If you think you are addicted you will be, so say loud and proud I am not addicted and I am no longer a smoker. Live the dilusion until it is real. If you think garbage you will be, so change your thought patterns a bit. Recognize that tobacco is the devil. You are not addicted, you have been poisoned and now it's time to reprogram your brain.

4) Remember, when stressed, tobacco/nicotine doesn't reduce stress. Exercising, walking, thinking properly and learning your triggers and eating healthy does. Remember, you used to be able to solve problems and handle stress as a child without problem long before tobacco ever exhisted, all of us are capable.

5) Avoid drinking and getting drunk. Ppl lose control when they drink and you might relapse. I've known far too many men who "only smoke when they drink" and yeah that doesn't last. ****ing idiot, tobacco is almost more addicting then heroin.

Good luck bro.

Last edited by cabbageman; 29th December 2017 at 7:03 PM..
cabbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 8:05 PM   #39
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaysngrace View Post
I quit using the patch and carrying a water bottle with me for whenever I had the urge to put something to my mouth.

I used the patch for a very long time though...maybe close to nine months and had to wean off...but I've been smoke free for two and a half years now.

Next I need to lose all this weight I gained
I actually lost about 10 lbs when I quit smoking
Old 29th December 2017, 8:06 PM   #40
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preraph View Post
Off the subject a little, I want to just warn the pot smokers about something. You get used to the smell of pot and can't tell that your whole house or car reeks of it. So even if you think you've aired it out, you haven't. People who don't smoke it can smell it clearly.
that's the truth man...it also applies to cigarettes
Old 29th December 2017, 8:12 PM   #41
Established Member

Quote:
I actually lost about 10 lbs when I quit smoking
How in the world did you do that??

I gained close to 40 and I'm short....5 foot 4 inches

I'm a big mush
Old 29th December 2017, 8:14 PM   #42
Established Member

I gave up for two years then took it up again. I'm about to quit again. I will do exactly what I did last time.

I went cold turkey, each pay day I would walk to the bank and withdraw the money I would have spent on cigarettes and then I would walk to another bank, where I opened an account to deposit my cigarette money. It was a great incentive to see my balance grow, I used that money to take my sons on a trip away.

I also joined the gym and went on lots of long walks to keep my mind off it, it also meant I didn't gain any weight, I actually lost some.
mrs rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 8:33 PM   #43
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaysngrace View Post
How in the world did you do that??
you know how alcohol and cigarettes go hand in hand? well I started drinking less after I quit smoking and I think that is what caused the weight loss.
Old 29th December 2017, 8:51 PM   #44
Established Member

Quote:
you know how alcohol and cigarettes go hand in hand? well I started drinking less after I quit smoking and I think that is what caused the weight loss.
That's a great way to lose weight!

Congration!
Old 29th December 2017, 9:10 PM   #45
Established Member

I'm sure some of my friends thought I was an alcoholic because I partied so much when I was young and drank like a lush, but I quit drinking for the most part after losing my career and being depressed. I was always able to quit for diets too. I'm lucky I am not a physical addict. Everyone is different though. Some people just go from one addiction to the next. With me I did everything in the world until I got bored with each thing and then just quit. Lucky. My dad was an alcoholic though, in his old age. The most reward I ever got from quitting something was caffeine. Now I do drink it occasionally, but I won't let myself drink it often. I got a lot of benefit from that. Was better able to sleep, no hangovers in the morning (it's just like speed - you crash and get sluggish). Less volatile.
preraph is offline   Reply With Quote