LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Addiction & Recovery

Addiction to cigarettes


Addiction & Recovery Recognizing, conquering, and coping with addictions, substance abuse & dependence.

Like Tree54Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:58 PM   #1
Established Member
 
Buriall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 228
Addiction to cigarettes

How does one quit smoking? I've tried once and failed miserably I dont want to do this anymore..what are some tools i can use to quit smoking other than patches or nicotine gums?
__________________
Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone.
Buriall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2017, 1:56 PM   #2
Established Member
 
CautiouslyOptimistic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 4,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buriall View Post
How does one quit smoking? I've tried once and failed miserably I dont want to do this anymore..what are some tools i can use to quit smoking other than patches or nicotine gums?
I have a friend who swears by "art." She decided many months ago (maybe it was a New Year's resolution?) to stop and decided to take up painting in its place. Now she's pretty addicted to painting (and she's quite good), which is a lot healthier than cigarettes .

Good luck! I've never smoked a cigarette in my life, but I've heard it's just about the hardest thing to quit .
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2017, 8:41 PM   #3
Established Member
 
Buriall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiouslyOptimistic View Post
I have a friend who swears by "art." She decided many months ago (maybe it was a New Year's resolution?) to stop and decided to take up painting in its place. Now she's pretty addicted to painting (and she's quite good), which is a lot healthier than cigarettes .

Good luck! I've never smoked a cigarette in my life, but I've heard it's just about the hardest thing to quit .
it is one of the hardest things to quit....
Buriall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:09 PM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 4
Do you have an addictive personality? Or is it particular to ciggies??
pebbles15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:44 PM   #5
Established Member
 
Buriall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 228
just smokes
Buriall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2017, 7:56 AM   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 3
To entirely quit smoking is tough especially to some that are addicted to cigarettes. I think, it takes time and self discipline to do it. Maybe, one needs to stay away from what triggers him to smoke.
homesickclutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2017, 12:03 PM   #7
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,430
It's hell. I used vaping to quit smoking (been two years) and now I'm quitting that too. Much easier to put down the vape because I've cut the nicotine down to nothing so now I'm just dealing with the psychological addiction rather than a nicotine addiction. So I'm not vaping much these days but I still crave cigarettes. Not every minute of every day. Not even every day, but at least two or three times a week I get an overwhelming urge to smoke. i get through it by vaping a little and getting busy doing something else. It is getting easier.

It takes practice. Just try to quit. If you fail then try again. Every time you attempt to quit you will get stronger and better at it. Again fight cravings by staying busy and letting your mind wander elsewhere. Just posting in this thread is making me feel like I want a smoke because now m thinking about it. When I first quit I had to stop watching that show "Mad Men" because almost every character smoked and it drove me nuts. Lol. So stay away from smokers or situations that trigger cravings in the beginning. At least nowadays that easier to do because of the restrictions placed on smoking indoors and in public places. I don't know how people quit 20 or 30 yrs ago when smoking was literally everwhere. I'm so grateful that none of my family or my friends smoke.
anika99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2017, 12:41 PM   #8
Established Member
 
alphamale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Detroit, MI :lmao:
Posts: 33,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buriall View Post
How does one quit smoking? I've tried once and failed miserably I dont want to do this anymore..what are some tools i can use to quit smoking other than patches or nicotine gums?
I went cold turkey 3 years ago. It was pretty bad for about a week but then got easier. You must quit, your life depends on it.
__________________
Indeed
alphamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2017, 12:42 PM   #9
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 927
I quit cold turkey the second I learned I was pregnant with my first child. That honestly was going to be the only way for me to quit at that point. I didn't smoke 1 cigarette for 7 years. For 4 years now I've been going back and forth; I go months without smoking then I'll have a few when I go out or when I'm particularly stressed out and go back to months without touching a cigarette.

I'm not sure I'll never say I'm fully non-smoker and I often see myself smoke in my dreams, but I'm trying. My kids have never seen me smoke, and that's a great incentive.

But it is hard. You need will power and for your mind to be kept busy. Like the previous poster, if you try and fail, try again. Ultimately, smoking really is bad for your health with very little actual benefit.

Good luck!
littleblackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2017, 12:42 PM   #10
Established Member
 
jay1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bayou City
Posts: 3,532
Vape.........
jay1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2017, 1:04 PM   #11
Member
 
Art Vandelay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I went cold turkey 3 years ago. It was pretty bad for about a week but then got easier. You must quit, your life depends on it.
I went cold turkey too. It's a difficult thing to do and I'll tell you a few things I always tell my students who are smokers:

  • Don't quit quitting. It must have taken me over a dozen tries but eventually it worked.
  • It will be the best thing you've ever done for yourself, health wise at least. There are tons of studies detailing the physical benefits of being a non-smoker - I'm sure you've heard them all. You will also gain a big boost in confidence.
  • I don't know why you don't want to use the gum - it worked for me. It really helped with that empty mouth feeling that's so prevalent in the first few weeks, and I didn't get addicted to it.
  • Don't think long term (I need to get through a week, or a month). I always told myself I just need to make it to bedtime, another day under my belt.
Come on Buriall, you can do it. You will never regret quitting and it will always be a major event in your life you can look back on for a boost of confidence and as evidence that you have the will to accomplish something difficult when you have to.

Good luck with it.
__________________
Working on mysteries without any clues.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2017, 8:27 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Into the great wide open
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buriall View Post
How does one quit smoking? I've tried once and failed miserably I dont want to do this anymore..what are some tools i can use to quit smoking other than patches or nicotine gums?
Just keep trying. Sooner or later it will work.

Here's my story. I smoked for about 15 years a pack a day. I decided to quit. I probably kept trying for a about 5 to 7 years. I think I tried 10 times and finally made it. But believe me, it is doable. Its just a habit you developed. You were not born with it. You developed it. If you can develop it, you can also undo and undevelop it.

Also learn to spot triggers and avoid them. My triggers were going out to bars and drinking with friends who smoked. It would quit for 4 or 6 month, and then spring comes, and I go out to a bar, drink and smoke and I was back to a pack a day again the next week.

good luck shmo!!

p.s. I used nicorettes. this is not an ad for them. it doesnt work for everybody. it worked for me though.
jjgitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2017, 9:12 PM   #13
Established Member
 
Buriall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by anika99 View Post
It's hell. I used vaping to quit smoking (been two years) and now I'm quitting that too. Much easier to put down the vape because I've cut the nicotine down to nothing so now I'm just dealing with the psychological addiction rather than a nicotine addiction. So I'm not vaping much these days but I still crave cigarettes. Not every minute of every day. Not even every day, but at least two or three times a week I get an overwhelming urge to smoke. i get through it by vaping a little and getting busy doing something else. It is getting easier.

It takes practice. Just try to quit. If you fail then try again. Every time you attempt to quit you will get stronger and better at it. Again fight cravings by staying busy and letting your mind wander elsewhere. Just posting in this thread is making me feel like I want a smoke because now m thinking about it. When I first quit I had to stop watching that show "Mad Men" because almost every character smoked and it drove me nuts. Lol. So stay away from smokers or situations that trigger cravings in the beginning. At least nowadays that easier to do because of the restrictions placed on smoking indoors and in public places. I don't know how people quit 20 or 30 yrs ago when smoking was literally everwhere. I'm so grateful that none of my family or my friends smoke.
Thats the thing im always around smokers, friends,family and even at work..Most of the movies i watch involves cigs too lol

I must have more self discipline and will power..Thank you guys, my quit date is next month end. I will use this thread for progress purposes as well. I CAN DO IT!!
Buriall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2017, 9:16 PM   #14
Established Member
 
Buriall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
I went cold turkey too. It's a difficult thing to do and I'll tell you a few things I always tell my students who are smokers:

  • Don't quit quitting. It must have taken me over a dozen tries but eventually it worked.
  • It will be the best thing you've ever done for yourself, health wise at least. There are tons of studies detailing the physical benefits of being a non-smoker - I'm sure you've heard them all. You will also gain a big boost in confidence.
  • I don't know why you don't want to use the gum - it worked for me. It really helped with that empty mouth feeling that's so prevalent in the first few weeks, and I didn't get addicted to it.
  • Don't think long term (I need to get through a week, or a month). I always told myself I just need to make it to bedtime, another day under my belt.
Come on Buriall, you can do it. You will never regret quitting and it will always be a major event in your life you can look back on for a boost of confidence and as evidence that you have the will to accomplish something difficult when you have to.

Good luck with it.
Funny thing the warning label has the same motto, NEVER STOP TRYING TO QUIT. HEHEH thank you for the encouragement means alot
Buriall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2017, 9:20 PM   #15
Established Member
 
CautiouslyOptimistic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 4,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buriall View Post
Thats the thing im always around smokers, friends,family and even at work..Most of the movies i watch involves cigs too lol

I must have more self discipline and will power..Thank you guys, my quit date is next month end. I will use this thread for progress purposes as well. I CAN DO IT!!
Yes, you CAN do it!! Give yourself weekly rewards.
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E Cigarettes vs Tobacco Cigarettes OldRover Addiction & Recovery 14 20th November 2015 8:15 PM
Cigarettes grazer Marriage & Life Partnerships 12 16th March 2010 8:02 PM
Cigarettes blind_otter Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being 23 30th July 2007 5:03 PM
Cigarettes mrs.sarah Addiction & Recovery 3 7th October 2005 12:56 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 7:42 PM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2018 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.