Son bipolar using illegal drugs to cope

Lostgirl50

Hello

I need advise on my 22 year old son. He is bipolar. He has used pot for approximately 7 years. He has gone manic 2 times. He has decreased his pot use and has tried other hard drugs. He cut them cold turkey realizing they were not good. This was a few months ago . I believe he is back on them . He lives with my ex. He has started stealing money from him. He has maxed out his credit card and has stopped paying his cell phone - I have taken over the cell phone bill as I need contact with him. I am at a loss on what to do. I hate these drugs. I have never used drugs so I don't understand why he is hurting himself like this. He has bad anxiety when he wakes up in the morning . I believe it is from the drugs. He won't listen. He lies and stole money from my ex. He is seeing his doctor monthly . He has seen a wonderful counselor. He does not work. Again I don't know what to do . It saddens me greatly as he was a smar caring man who loved us and cared deeply. Now he doesn't seem to . Insight anyone ? I am hurting a lot because of this and not handling it well at all. Thank you.

monnieloves

I know the pain of seeing my family helplessly witness a beloved family member struggle with addiction. I was the family member addicted. Like your son, I went cold turkey off drugs after being sick and tired of being sick and tired. Other people couldn't do it for me. I had to want to. Well, I've been drug free for over 10 years now. All is not lost with your son. It may be a good idea to enroll him into a spiritually based treatment center. Sometimes ultimatums can be a wake up call: (1) Stealing equals No home; (2) Job - Mandatory; (3) Pay Rent. I hope this helps you.

amaysngrace

Does his doctor prescribe any medication for BPD? Maybe he needs to start.

In the meantime maybe you can call the doctor and let them know about the undesirable behavior your son is exhibiting. Don't expect the doctor to provide you with any insight into your son's condition though because there are laws prohibiting him from doing so.

I'm sorry that you're going through this. It must be frustrating as well as heartbreaking.

• Author
Lostgirl50

Thank you for answering! I 100% agree with you - it has to be him that realizes that the drugs have to go. I just pray he does at this point. He is the one that can change this. I so wish I could do it for him but I can't. I am able to talk to his counselor who works with his doctor. I can tell her what he is doing and hope she can talk to him. At this point I am not sure that he is seeing her. He is taking lithium and anti depressant . He doesn't like this pills at all and the illegal drugs offer him relief he says. I believe they are he cause of anxiety. Thank you for offering me hope - I pray he will figure this out soon . It hurts so very much...

LastAcorn99

I’m sorry about this, friend. I can understand how painful and overwhelming this must be for you. I’d strongly suggest that you seek the help of a counselor to guide and assist you in dealing with your son. Sending you hugs and prayers. Take care!

• Author
Lostgirl50
I’m sorry about this, friend. I can understand how painful and overwhelming this must be for you. I’d strongly suggest that you seek the help of a counselor to guide and assist you in dealing with your son. Sending you hugs and prayers. Take care!

You are correct ! And thank you - I appreciate it !

• 4 weeks later...

I hope he's being honest with the counselor because if he's not, how can the counselor help him? He may need drugs to help with his bipolar and probably does, but he's self-medicating and instead he needs to be prescribed drugs to level him out. The problem is bipolar people miss their manic high. Bipolar is a huge range of scale of how high and low and how often the highs and lows are so each case is totally different. For some the biggest problem is the lows are suicidal. For others, the manic episodes get them in the most trouble by seeking sex or stealing even or taking drugs or whatever.

If he keeps stealing, call the police on him, like any other criminal. He may be bipolar, but he's not above the law. He needs to learn there's consequences. Your ex should take everything away from him, tell him to get a job and pay rent if he wants to stay there.

• Author
Lostgirl50

He does pay rent. I don't know about calling the police. If he gets a record he will never get a job . He would be a criminal . I don't believe he would survive that. I can't lose him - the thought of him hurting himself is too much. But I am at a loss on how to make him see he has to stop . I just don't know what to do...for both of us...my heart is breaking ....

• Like 1

One way or another, he has to have consequences. You can't let him stay there if he's stealing from you. He wouldn't have money for drugs if you kicked him out.

• 2 weeks later...

Bipolar disorder is a physiological disease. Like diabetes or asthma. He needs real treatment. Diabetics don't smoke sunflowers for insulin and people with cancer don't just eat right if they really want to get well. He needs actualy medicine.

That being said, there are MANY different BP medications out there, and it takes time to find the right combination. Lithium has been around the longest, but it isn;t the best drug for everyone. He needs to work with his doctor patiently to find a combo that will help him stay in balance without making him feel like a zombie.