SINGLE recovering alcoholic success stories

I'd love to hear some stories from people who are SINGLE and have/are recovering from alcoholism. When I say single what I mean is that you are not married. I feel that married people have their spouse to be there with them thru it. I'd like to hear from SINGLE people please who went through this journey and consider themselves a successful story. At this point, and I admit, I don't know a lot of recovering alcoholics, I have not seen many single people get through this and come out okay on the other side. I am wondering if it's possible to do it by yourself (i.e. without a mate or without old friends who still drink) and stay sober. I think the loneliness may drive them to drink again.

If you are single and recovered, please state how long you have been sober.

Thank you!

Edited by Popsicle
Art_Critic

I'm not single today but was when I sobered up.. I have been sober 30 years this coming June 28th.

I used AA, my Sponsor and the people inside AA to help me. IMO, as an Alcoholic we need our fellowship not spouses to help keep us sober.

My family was also there, some were supportive and some were not but all that mattered to me was that day by day I didn't want to drink.

I did lose a GF (fiance) that I had lived with for almost 4 years in the process.

• Like 2
Art_Critic
I think the loneliness may drive them to drink again.

That is your Codependent side piping up, it isn't true...

An Alcoholic has roadblocks everywhere that may drive them to drink and those are the times they should call their Sponsor not spouse...

There is Alcohol on every street corner, in every bar we pass and every dinner we go to as well all of our friends normally drink some too... so trying to say that loneliness can cause you to drink again just doesn't hold water... if an alcoholic wants to drink they can...

An Alcoholic must take the first step and show the desire to want to quit, admit they are powerless over Alcohol and put effort into wanting to make their life better.

• Like 2
  • Author

I am no expert but I'm not sure I buy that. Alcoholism stems from emotional problems, not the alcohol. They drink to not "feel" anymore. To go numb for a the moment of bad feelings. They need therapy to fix or learn to cope with emotional problems. Loneliness may be one of those problems they don't know how to cope with or it may not. I forgot about the sponsor, which is a good idea, but what I said about married people having a spouse to be there with them thru it is still true. There are all sorts of emotional problems that can come up but I just brought up this one because it came up for me.

• Author

I did lose a GF (fiance) that I had lived with for almost 4 years in the process.

So you had someone part of the way and lost her during it. Did you get with someone else soon after you lost her? I'm guessing yes? I hear that recovering A's often get together with each other when they meet in rehab, AA, or classes. A bad idea of course but again I think that is due to loneliness. I think relationships end up being a source of stress for the A but they feel compelled towards them anyway. (

SaveYourHeart

Most of the alcoholics I've met and known had success through being alone or being left somewhere in the process.

• Like 1

Not a success story.

I drink too frequently. I don't get staggering drunk but after working hours I am usually lubricated to some extent. It all started as a way to relieve stress. I think now it's become a source of stress.

It's not a healthy thing. I'd like to cut back but don't know if I really can without completely giving it up and I'm not sure I want to completely get rid of my "crutch"

Sigh.

• Like 1
Dtrain2EtOWN

15 years. Exactly as you describe. My only hope is to meet 1 person but I don't. I can't drink either and I lost my guts to end it. Working on guts and guy. I am f*cked.

I don't want this for me or you. I tell you for me this is as good as it gets. I was a blackout trouble maker. If I was not I would have probably gone back. My brother did. He's having a good old time and has long abandoned me.

I am Rapunzel and 45. My mother always said "you gotta make hay while the shines." I sure did try. I am sorry for my input but I am real and it is one story. There are others. I hope you find peace.:bunny:

• Like 1

Interesting. Would you define yourself as a high-functioning alcoholic? In what sense is this becoming a source of stress? Is it affecting your life in any way negatively? I used to have a colleague who was a high-functioning alcoholic. He had to get himself very drunk regularly. But he was able to hold a very "prestigious" job pretty well, though I wasn't sure how much his personal life was impacted.

Not a success story.

I drink too frequently. I don't get staggering drunk but after working hours I am usually lubricated to some extent. It all started as a way to relieve stress. I think now it's become a source of stress.

It's not a healthy thing. I'd like to cut back but don't know if I really can without completely giving it up and I'm not sure I want to completely get rid of my "crutch"

Sigh.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thank you for sharing your inputs. I don't have a drinking problem myself but I have recently made friends with someone who has admitted to being a recovering alcoholic. (It hasn't been long) I wonder if they will last.

Dtrain2EtOWN
Thank you for sharing your inputs. I don't have a drinking problem myself but I have recently made friends with someone who has admitted to being a recovering alcoholic. (It hasn't been long) I wonder if they will last.

I am glad it's not you. :rolleyes: Most don't. If not roped in to social support or fearful and convinced like me it's a matter of time. Good luck and don't date him for at least 7 years clean :bunny:

• Like 2

It's hard to say because you can't classify all alcoholics as the same. I know that alcoholism runs in my family so I don't drink. Every once in a while I may have a sip of champagne on New Years Eve or at a wedding, but I generally avoid it.

The last woman I dated was an alcoholic. She pre-gamed before we would meet up and was in a full on blackout prior to ever going out. It took me a while to figure that out. Eventually, she got sober and the relationship got even worse, mostly because I didn't trust her anymore and she was just upset about her situation. However, she is still single now and doing well with her sobriety so I think it is totally possible. It really depends on the person, their willpower, and their support structure around them.

• Like 2
Interesting. Would you define yourself as a high-functioning alcoholic? In what sense is this becoming a source of stress? Is it affecting your life in any way negatively? I used to have a colleague who was a high-functioning alcoholic. He had to get himself very drunk regularly. But he was able to hold a very "prestigious" job pretty well, though I wasn't sure how much his personal life was impacted.

In my tinder profile the first time I was on I actually admitted to being a high functioning alcoholic. It didn't seem to keep me from getting matches. One professional woman I hooked up with a few times said she matched me because I admitted it. Said it was refreshing to see someone so honest and unpretentious. We saw each other for about two months but I stopped because all she ever wanted to do was get high and screw. I was looking for more. We actually work for the same company. Small world. After that experience I decided to remove the line from my profile.

I rarely become very drunk. I've only blacked out twice in my life. I also rarely go a week without having more than 20 drinks. If nothing else it is likely affecting my health negatively. My liver numbers on my last physical were not good.

My work history exemplifies stability (never unemployed and only 2 jobs over 30 years). Most people would call me successful (good income, nice title, respected by peers, recognized by management, and appreciated by my customers). I personally think I have underachieved significantly based on my natural abilities.

My personal life has generally been embarrassing to me. I don't think alcohol is directly to blame, though. I grew up with a lot of insecurities. Whenever I get close to someone those start rearing their ugly heads.

• Like 3

Very few people will admit openly to being alcoholic, but this is an Internet forum, with some anonymity.

I did have a bit of a drinking problem (insert ''Airplane'' meme here), in my twenties, there were times I was partying like almost everyone at some point but I realized that when I needed to have drinks by myself after work that I had some issues. Sometimes to the point of downing sixer of high ABV beers, or harder liquor.

Nowadays, a decade later, I'm still single, well at least never married. Once a month, I'll allow myself to have more than 3 beers in the evening to get buzzed a bit. Occasionally it's good for the soul and relieve stress, even alone.

When I am attending a party, most of the time I have to drive back home so rarely drink more than 2-3 while waiting to sober up a bit before hitting the road.

As for family lunch and dinner, champagne, some red wines and I'm done, I don't want to give a wrong impression to them, and they drink more than me anyway.

My own definition of an alcoholic would be someone who drink because sadness, loneliness, and or depression.

• Like 1
Art_Critic
I am no expert but I'm not sure I buy that. Alcoholism stems from emotional problems, not the alcohol. They drink to not "feel" anymore. To go numb for a the moment of bad feelings. They need therapy to fix or learn to cope with emotional problems. Loneliness may be one of those problems they don't know how to cope with or it may not. I forgot about the sponsor, which is a good idea, but what I said about married people having a spouse to be there with them thru it is still true. There are all sorts of emotional problems that can come up but I just brought up this one because it came up for me.

We all have a reason we drink to excess and after that happens the addiction kicks in, it can also be genetic...

My Dad was a Dry Alcoholic, not a Sober one.

Many people have emotional problems and aren't Drunks....

• Like 3
Art_Critic
So you had someone part of the way and lost her during it. Did you get with someone else soon after you lost her? I'm guessing yes? I hear that recovering A's often get together with each other when they meet in rehab, AA, or classes. A bad idea of course but again I think that is due to loneliness. I think relationships end up being a source of stress for the A but they feel compelled towards them anyway. (

I did but she was too Codependent on me for it to last, she didn't go to Alanon and her own behavior wasn't good for my sobriety.

• Like 1
Art_Critic
Very few people will admit openly to being alcoholic, but this is an Internet forum, with some anonymity.

There isn't a person I dated who didn't know either on Date 1,2 or before the Date.. and I dated a lot.

There also isn't very many people who I meet that as soon as they get close to me learn that I'm an Alcoholic...

I have never hidden it and certainly am not embarrassed about it, if anything I'm somewhat proud of my accomplishment and also proud of who I have become being sober.

IMO, if an Alcoholic wants to drink they might hide who they are, part of the denial process.

• Like 5
BikerAccnt

Single, coming up on 5 years sober. I'm 56.

I do have a GF, but she wasn't at the time I decided to sober up. I was single and not dating anyone at that time.

I did it on my own, no AA, no sponsor, no nothing. But after an accident that luckily hurt no-one, and a suspended license for a while, I realized I was on a dangerous road I no longer wanted to be on.

Can't say I've ever made a better decision in my life.

• Like 3
BikerAccnt

No, I don't think that's always the case, if anything I drank to feel more. I really never drank when I was upset or something was bothering me. I drank when I was in a good mood, and wanted even more.

• Like 1
BikerAccnt
Not a success story.

Sigh.

Careful, thats's how I was. It was especially easy for me because I used to brew my own beer! That really started my downfall. Eventually, I realized I had to give it up, cutting down wasn't working. It doesn't for most people who've grown accustomed to being lubricated. I wasn't a falling down alcoholic either, but now, sober, looking back at it, I was definitely an alcoholic. Back then I used to not think so, after all, I went to work, earned a good salary, owned a house. So what if I'd wake up passed out on the couch at 3am...I wasn't hurting anyone :(

• Like 1
  • Author

Wow, very interested replies to this thread. I have so many thoughts I don't even know where to begin, but I will just respond to this first as I digest...

Many people have emotional problems and aren't Drunks....

Yes, but they have poor coping mechanisms for emotional problems. Namely, drinking. Lots of people have poor coping mechanisms. Alcohol is just an example of one poor coping mechanism.

When you learn how to cope with life's problems in healthy ways, and identify even when you are experiencing a stressful and triggering time, then you can switch gears to healthy coping mechanisms.

On another note, I also think some people drink out of boredom. But then again, that's just a poor way to deal with boredom.

• Like 3
  • Author
I did but she was too Codependent on me for it to last, she didn't go to Alanon and her own behavior wasn't good for my sobriety.

Oh this sounds juicy. Please do tell what she did and how it wasn't good for you.

Any more single people?

I've only been drunk once in my life. Trouble was that one time began '74 and didn't end until '86.

There's been times when it's been pretty lonely being me. But being lonely being sober isn't the same kind of lonely as being lonely and being drunk.

In 1986, it dawned upon me that there's no problem, no feeling, no situation, that can't be made worse by taking that first drink.

• Like 4

It's apparent pretty quickly to anyone interested enough to notice that I don't drink. That's fine by me. No one's time gets wasted.

• Like 1