On my way to definitely quit smoking

I'll keep my history of smoking short:

Started like many kids in high-school. Of course I didn't start cold turkey. It was a smoke during the break, every other day.. then later when I reached adulthood and started going to college and parties I started to smoke really too much until a 'peak' at almost two packs a day in my mid to late 20s. I'm 32 year old now by the way.

And then in the 2010s, electronic cigarette was invented, their first incarnations were admittedly not that good, not about the price but the quality of these products.

So, being in my early 30s I thought it was about time to taper off, and I'm now convinced I have to quit smoking for good.

I've been 'vaping' (smoking the e cigarette) for six months now and except for a few cigs I bum during the rare parties I attend, I never bought a pack again.

Granted, I'm not exactly good on the technology and specificity of the e cigarettes and what they contains. But the consensus is that it's vastly better to vape than to smoke a pack a day.

I'm concerned about my health but also about my financial situation. I did the maths ; 1 pack a day cost me $8 whereas vaping everyday barely $2/3. No comparison possible. Better for your health, your lung and your wallet.

Smokers, chain smokers, if I did, you can too!

Wanted to share, thanks for reading!

Edited by Shanex
  • Like 4
  • Author
Yay! That's awesome, congratulations!

It will have a HUGE positive impact on your health for sure. :)

Thanks! Seriously though, how many people have died due to smoking for the last century all around the world? If I say dozen millions I'm probably way off mark. It's crazy.

Nicotine is one of the most addictive substance around. Getting off that with the e-cigarette is really the best thing, invention of the last years. And the technology of these will only improve.. their price will go down.

I predict a world post 2100 where there won't even be a smoker anymore.

• Like 1
Thanks! Seriously though, how many people have died due to smoking for the last century all around the world? If I say dozen millions I'm probably way off mark. It's crazy.

Nicotine is one of the most addictive substance around. Getting off that with the e-cigarette is really the best thing, invention of the last years. And the technology of these will only improve.. their price will go down.

I predict a world post 2100 where there won't even be a smoker anymore.

Yup, the damage caused by smoking isn't really caused by the nicotine, but rather by the other substances in a traditional cigar/cigarette. So being able to move to e-cigs is already a huge boost in health. To be fair, I'm not sure they should be sold to everyone like candy - I think they should only be sold to people who are trying to give up regular cigs - but they're an amazing invention for sure.

• Like 1

After several failed attempts at giving up smoking, I too switched to vaping. I'm not convinced that vaping is completely safe but it's definitely loads better than smoking. I don't get out of breath anymore and my voice doesn't become hoarse the way it used to. Also no smell and no disgusting ashtrays with butts. Here a pack of smokes cost $12 - $14 but a $20 bottle of juice will last me 2 weeks so the price difference is huge. I hope to quit vaping some day too. Slowly working on cutting down on the nicotine level.

• Like 1
  • Author
After several failed attempts at giving up smoking, I too switched to vaping. I'm not convinced that vaping is completely safe but it's definitely loads better than smoking. I don't get out of breath anymore and my voice doesn't become hoarse the way it used to. Also no smell and no disgusting ashtrays with butts. Here a pack of smokes cost $12 - $14 but a $20 bottle of juice will last me 2 weeks so the price difference is huge. I hope to quit vaping some day too. Slowly working on cutting down on the nicotine level.

Every smokers can relate. I quit a dozen times and got back to smoking again and again.

Vaping is far less expensive. We don't know for sure if it's really 100% safe right now. But yeah after a couple months I'm feeling already better.

I bought a lot of juice bottles to last as long as possible. And it's never more than $40/months. A months of smoking a pack a day now is ~$200.

And yes ultimately I want to quit nicotine at all and lay off even the e-cigarette after a while. It's a whole process.

• Like 2
I've been 'vaping' (smoking the e cigarette) for six months now and except for a few cigs I bum during the rare parties I attend.

I quit about 3 weeks ago. I went for a nicotine mist spray. I didn't want to 'vape' as I wanted to quit the habit.

For me switching to a vaping tool that behaves like a cigarette, hold it in your hand and take pulls at it, didn't make sense.

Nicotine depletes from the brain in a very short time after the cigarette is stumped out, but the lack of it is the little tingle that makes you light another.

Getting away from the nicotine lack is not so hard if you keep occupied, but the reaching for something when the phone goes or when something slightly stressful takes place is the habit I need to break.

So far so good, even went out to see a few bands on Saturday night, I was drinking but had no desire for a cigarette. I had a couple of squirts of nicotine through the evening but under four goes in the five hours I was out.

I paid £10.50 for two nicotine sprays and have maybe six squirts a day, still have a full one and most of the other one left after the three weeks so it's cost effective.

• Like 2

Shanex,

Know how you feel. I loved smoking.

Years ago, i just put it down. One day i just quit.

Just walked away, was not easy....

Good luck!

Yes i saved a fortune.

• Like 1