Lsd - acid use

goodbyebluesky

This may be a bit long but I really need other people's thoughts on this... About a month ago my boyfriend of 6 months told me he's going to take acid, but just hasn't decided when yet... But basically he made up his mind and it's going to happen.

I told him that I don't really approve of this, but he's telling me not to worry and that I need to be more open minded and that acid isn't addictive and it could be really good for him to take once to help with his depression.. My boyfriend is a recovering drug addict. His drug of choice was heroin. He's been sober for 2 years... He had one relapse with cocaine after he got in a bad car accident and was sitting around at home and pretty bad off mentally and physically... He had this relapse in the very start of our relationship but I stayed because I know he's a good guy and I know he can stay sober and I saw how much he deeply regretted it and still regrets that relapse to this day. I gave him a chance...

After he told me about wanting to take acid I haven't really brought it up since because thinking about it just upsets me.. Then this past weekend I was over his house and he told me he bought the acid and has it but is just waiting for the right time to take it... I told him again that I don't like this at all but he just keeps saying it's not as bad as I think it is and that he's not doing this out of spite of me and he told me he's only done acid a couple times in his life and will do it this time and probably not do it again for years or if ever at all.. He's telling me there's been research on acid that it can help depression and has mental benifits...

He's telling me not to think he's going to do this and want to do other drugs because he never wants to be the way he was and completely regrets how bad off he was on drugs and regrets the relapse he had with cocaine... Acid is different he's telling me... Now I don't know how to really feel about this all... I've never done anything more than having a few drinks.. I don't approve of drug use, maybe smoking weed every now and then is fine, but acid? That just seems too far.. But could I be wrong??? I don't know. Thinking about it really upsets me but I've been trying to push it on the back of my mind..

He knows I don't approve of it, but basically he's doing it anyway. He doesn't want me to be upset, but it does make me upset. I'm just afraid that when the day comes I'm going to get so pissed and send him into a bad trip.. I don't want to do that either... Ugh.. Sorry this is so long... Any thoughts on this subject??? Thank you for reading!

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Paragraphs
  • Like 1

Please don't start an argument after he takes the acid. It will send him on a bad trip that can last up to 8 hours. If he has made up his mind he will drop acid you should leave during his trip. When I was young I was in an abusive relationship that I didn't have the confidence to leave. A friend and I dropped acid and it turned my mind inside out for 8 hours. As soon as the trip was over I had the confidence of a Navy Seal, packed my sh-t, and left. I've never looked back.

OP, you've been dating him six months. Has he complained of depression the entire time?

If he's been chronically depressed over a long period, all this street drug use is likely him casting around for self-medication fixes for his brain chemistry. That's OK, but lacks any sort of plan, rather is just throwing darts at a dartboard with one's life in the balance.

Nothing wrong with one good trip as an experiment, in a vacuum. However, for a heroin addict in recovery and evidently one who's fallen off the wagon with other drugs, I share your concern. That said, if he's going to do it anyway, OK, his decision, approach it neutral and take the totality of the relationship in and decide if this relationship is healthy for you.

• Like 3
  • Author
goodbyebluesky

He has complained about it the whole time.. He was diagnosed with depression and borderline personality disorder.

• Like 1

If he was professionally diagnosed, generally that comes with a prospective treatment plan, either medication or talk therapy or both. Patients of course are not required to follow a treatment plan and some don't. What's his experience?

Since he's got the acid in hand, IMO get it done. Either it works or it doesn't. If anything goes sideways, you know who to call. See what his reaction is to that plan. In the meantime, read up more on BPD for help with the nuances. Go through it, then reassess.

I've been through this, as a caregiver, except with an arsenal of very potent anti-psychotics, and, well, won't be doing it again. Dealing with the nuances of a tipped-over brain on a day to day basis is not my cuppa. It may be no problem for you. Hope it works out.

• Like 1

I liked what carhill said about it being an attempt to self medicate.

I've only done acid once and although it wasn't bad I didn't esp. enjoy it either. Now mushrooms, that's another story. LOL I've tripped on salvia a lot which is much shorter but more extreme hallucinations so that's where I get the advice I'm going to give you about preparation and location.

I've never heard that about acid and depression but it doesn't really surprise me. The BPD would kind of concern me and it might be worth a little research for that but it sounds like he's going to do it regardless.

The important thing is to prepare for it, no stressful situations, in a safe place, w/ friends who won't try to mess w/ his head.

No driving!

When I did it I got talked into driving a carload of friends who were also tripping in search of a cave out in the desert. We didn't find the cave and I barely was able to find my way home.

If he stays inside there won't be much chance of a confrontation with the law which is always good.

From all I've heard and read acid isn't addictive and is fairly harmless. I'm a little surprised it's still available I had heard there were no more labs in the US and very few elsewhere.

Although this probably won't apply since it sounds like a one time thing I have seen some odd thinking and behavior in the old hippie types who have done a lot of acid in their day. Not bad behavior, just noticeably different like they took a few more trips than they were designed to take.

So I would say don't worry too much about it, try to see that he's going to do it in a safe place, and, if you think you might not handle being around him very well then don't be, just see that he has a responsible friend or two with him when he does it.

• Like 3

Medically speaking, its doubtful to be a "Healthy" thing to experiment with since he is AN ADDICT.

He is just changing brands to sustain his lifestyle of fleeing reality. He is not ready for recovery. He is playing the shell game.

I dearly miss many former " treats" that took me away from the real world. Then I snap out of that desire by seeing how far I have come in recovery.

This Gent needs a thorough reality check. He may not like to see the price he'll pay for this "treat" from living life on life's terms.

So what if he bought it.... He still has the CHOICE to NOT take it.

• Like 3

He knows I don't approve of it, but basically he's doing it anyway. He doesn't want me to be upset, but it does make me upset. I'm just afraid that when the day comes I'm going to get so pissed and send him into a bad trip.. I don't want to do that either... Ugh.. Sorry this is so long... Any thoughts on this subject??? Thank you for reading!

My exH and I did acid sometimes when we went to Dead shows. I recommend that he not do it alone. I never would have done it alone. He should have caring people who know how to handle people on acid and safe environments available during his trip.

• Like 2
TheFinalWord
So are you saying acid is beneficial or no?

The problem is you don't know what you are getting with street drugs.

I never had any problems when I did acid in my party days; however, friend of mine took "mad hatter" and had a bad trip (hallucinations of demons, etc.) and swears he developed chronic anxiety as a result.

I see a lot of people posting about stuff they don't know. Acid isn't physically addictive, so the idea of him relapsing similar to cocaine is wrong. It might change this thought processes, he might reach some conclusions, he might have a bad experience - those are the realities of what could occur. These things might impact your relationship, but unless he comes to the conclusion that he should get back on cocaine, you don't have worry about that.

I'm not allowed to link to things here but if you want something to read there was a guardian article about psychedelics and depression not so long ago. I'm sure you could find it quickly and read it. Many scientists believe psychedelics could help treat depression. On the other hand, it is definitely not the treatment of choice right now.

Edited by DJOkawari
I see a lot of people posting about stuff they don't know. Acid isn't physically addictive, so the idea of him relapsing similar to cocaine is wrong. It might change this thought processes, he might reach some conclusions, he might have a bad experience - those are the realities of what could occur. These things might impact your relationship, but unless he comes to the conclusion that he should get back on cocaine, you don't have worry about that.

I'm not allowed to link to things here but if you want something to read there was a guardian article about psychedelics and depression not so long ago. I'm sure you could find it quickly and read it. Many scientists believe psychedelics could help treat depression. On the other hand, it is definitely not the treatment of choice right now.

Great ! we agree! Any substance that is mind altering to the point of hallucinations are of NO help to a RECOVERING person. THe OP did mention that her BF is known to relapse when switching out his "drug" of choice.

Or are you saying that LSD is not a drug?

All these people with experience are posting about how it isn't all that bad, and you should just let him try it.

And maybe it isn't. But they are missing one thing.

And that is that YOU have the right to create your own boundaries. If drug use is NOT OK to you, it doesn't matter how other people feel about it.

Your boyfriend is an addict.

The fact that he is looking at other drugs to take which may not be as addicting shows you that he really ISN'T in recovery. Because in recovery, you learn other ways to medicate yourself which are healthy (meditation, exercise, dietary changes, therapy, prescription meds from a doctor he sees regularly to check effectiveness/dosage, etc.)

He's not looking at healthy options to better himself though.

He's looking backward, where he came from. Back to illegal drugs. He has learned nothing.

You are very wise to be concerned. If you aren't ready to walk away from the relationship, I would put a real big bookmark on this page and pay close attention in the future to any strange erratic behavior, further drug use, etc.

Be ready to leave him when this one-time trip turns into a habit or leads him to the next drug.

• Like 1

Oh and - that ICKY feeling you are getting about this... that anxiety and tightness you are getting when you are thinking about him taking his acid...

THAT feeling is your gut screaming at you that what you are accepting is against your core values and morals. Don't ignore it. Learn to listen to it.

That is your true self in there, and the earlier you learn to live aligned with it, the happier person you will be.

• Like 1
Great ! we agree! Any substance that is mind altering to the point of hallucinations are of NO help to a RECOVERING person.

I don't really see where I said that...so I'm not sure we agree. It has definitely helped a lot of people I know and it's definitely her BF's decision to determine how he treats himself. Finally, "NO help to a RECOVERING person" isn't really a discussion of harm is it? I feel a lot of things are of "no help". Is he only restricted to behavior meant to help his medical condition?

THe OP did mention that her BF is known to relapse when switching out his "drug" of choice.

Saying a person relapses when they take "drugs" is so vague - it shows a lack of understanding of the subjct. I guess this wasn't clear, but I was trying to differentiate between different types of drugs. It's just incorrect to group them in the manner people have been in this thread. Any person takes "drugs" aka chemical compounds all the time, the difference is in how they interact with your body. I imagine you aren't this upset when a person takes a prescription drug?

My point isn't that he should do acid it's that reading and understanding is the only solution in my mind. I didn't like the discussion because it was not based in facts. It seemed a lot of people were discussing based on things they had heard or general stereotypes with no specific knowledge.

All these people with experience are posting about how it isn't all that bad, and you should just let him try it.

And maybe it isn't. But they are missing one thing.

And that is that YOU have the right to create your own boundaries. If drug use is NOT OK to you, it doesn't matter how other people feel about it.

Here I think we agree. Her only choice is to determine if she wants to stay with him or not. Forcing his course of action, is not her "right". Right?

The rest of the post about core values and morality is just arbitrary. What's morally wrong with eating something that you've purchased yourself?

Edited by DJOkawari
  • Like 1
Great ! we agree! Any substance that is mind altering to the point of hallucinations are of NO help to a RECOVERING person. THe OP did mention that her BF is known to relapse when switching out his "drug" of choice.

Actually a lot of people claim that taking ayahuasca, a plant that is brewed into a tea and causes people to go on spiritual trips and mind awakening journeys helped them overcome their drug addictions and there is some research that suggests small doses of LSD can treat depression. If the OP's bf were able to get his depression under control that may make him less likely to relapse into heroin or cocaine use. LSD isn't addictive and I've never heard of anyone substituting LSD for heroin or cocaine. Taking LSD to treat depression wouldn't be my first course of action but I try to keep an open mind.

I do agree that if the OP feels like this is a deal breaker for her she should stay true to herself and consider ending the relationship. Having been with a person who had borderline personality disorder I would think the LSD is the least of her problems.

• Like 2
amaysngrace

I think it's a bad idea to take mind altering drugs when he already has a chemical imbalance.

If he cares so little about himself to get the help he needs what makes you think he's able to care about you the way that you deserve to be cared for?

Looks like the OP has departed but I did want to share that, having cared for someone with brain issues until they died of them, it's pretty much all about them and I'm getting a sense of that from the OP's postings. It's easy to empty one's love bank into the abyss of a sick or disordered loved one and fuggetabout that person filling it up. They're too busy with themselves or too out of it to realize what they're doing to those around them beyond the superficial.

Basically, yeah, love and care is nice but save yourself. Expect that no one cares more about your life and your health than you do.

• Like 2