I smoked my first joint this past weekend.

Now all of a sudden I want to smoke some more pot. Is this common? I have read that weed is not as bad of a drug as some of the more extreme stuff like cocaine or heroin, or even Ecstasy. How it came about was that this past weekend, me and a female friend, who is an admitted stoner, went to an album release party for a singing group that I did a story on. I was kind of nervous going to this for some reason, even though I was invited by the group's manager to go. So before my friend and I went into the venue where the party was, we went into a high floor of a parking garage where there was nobody and she started smoking a joint, and I had told her earlier in the night that I wanted to try it. I also thought it would help take some of the edge off, which it did, and my mouth also felt dry at some point. I only took three hits before going to the party.

I kind of want to smoke some more, but will it have any harmful effects in the long run? I don't know if I am addicted already.

• Like 3
Yes, marijuana can be addictive. Over time, overstimulation of the endocannabinoid system by marijuana use can cause changes in the brain that lead to addiction, a condition in which a person cannot stop using a drug even though it interferes with many aspects of his or her life. It is estimated that 9 percent of people who use marijuana will become dependent on it.10,11 The number goes up to about 17 percent in those who start using young (in their teens) and to 25 to 50 percent among daily users.12,13 According to the 2013 NSDUH, marijuana accounted for 4.2 million of the estimated 6.9 million Americans dependent on or abusing illicit drugs.3

Marijuana addiction is linked to a mild withdrawal syndrome. Frequent marijuana users often report irritability, mood and sleep difficulties, decreased appetite, cravings, restlessness, and/or various forms of physical discomfort that peak within the first week after quitting and last up to 2 weeks.14,15

Is marijuana addictive? | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)

It's not surprising that you want to smoke more. It's a popular drug for a reason: People like it.

Edited by Robert Z
  • Like 4

I wouldn't be too concerned.

I've gone through times of daily use for 3-4 weeks (holiday) and had no problems or withdrawals when going back to my fulltime job. Just abit tired the first "clean" day, but that might as well be due to the amount of food I ate and lack of exercise for several weeks. Some people can smoke daily for years and have no problem going clean afterwards, others get completely addicted.

I occasionally smoke in weekends and even some weekdays without problem. Other people might get addicted from that because people are different. Marijuana in itself, like everything else, is not harmful unless you abuse it, but some people are more prone to addiction or negative effects.

A guy I know smoked daily for a few years and developed mild permanent paranoia. He might have developed this without the marijuana, but I think it's important to quit smoking it if you have some sort of issues that get worse when you smoke. He ended up attempting suicide and luckily failed. That being said, it's not uncommon to get sudden paranoia attacks when you are high. This is not dangerous, just a bit scary when happening.

It's common to want more of something you liked. Marijuana can enhance a lot of things, e.g. the way food taste, the way sex feels, how much you enjoy movies/music, your thoughts/creativity, pain management etc. If you find that all aspects of life gets better with marijuana, it might be a good idea to ask yourself if you have some sort of addiction and try going clean. I know I'm not addicted because I have no problem going clean for months and I just smoke it occasionally. Kind of like sex, or alcohol.

Bottom line: Don't worry, but be careful.

• Like 1

Only you can know if you're feeling addiction.

If you have a few drinks, do you feel like having drinks again days later?

Yeah, you do. That's normal.

Weed is kind of fun here and there, but personally, I find it gives too small of a kick/high for all the lung damage and the high is pretty boring...

I only smoke socially with stoner friends like you did. Usually refusing. I've quit forever now, because it's just not very interesting to be high.

If you try it a couple more times you may also find the high to be boring.

No need to worry. You're not becoming addicted by trying it once...

• Like 2
  • Author

I don't feel addicted, otherwise I would be going through a withdrawal and I would also be jonesing for it. However, I am also wanting to smoke more in some ways. It almost feels like that was the highlight of my Saturday night this past weekend, and this only happened before and after the release party, which also included the group performing (It was a good performance and I had fun at the event). I was curious about trying it, and I also needed to take some edge off as I felt nervous before going to the event. Plus, I didn't really feel too high when I was at the event, except for a bit of dry mouth and some feeling in my eyes, but that was it.

I don't feel like I am craving it, but if I were near some, I would not pass smoking it.

• Like 1

I smoke about once a week or so. I think it's OK to enjoy in moderation, like alcohol. In my state it's decriminalized. So if I ever got caught, it's like getting a parking ticket. No worries about going to jail :).

I do believe you can get addicted. Never let yourself be a slave to a substance. My dad was an addict and I'll never let a drug own me. My kids deserve better.

• Like 1

mj can have medicinal relief.

Yet the reality is... its more of an escape tool , decompressing aide.

As a person with years of recovery... addictions are rarely on the first try. Yet try try try again... Then... yeah it will happen.

• Like 1
  • Author

In a lot of ways I want to smoke again, but from what was said here, it seems like pot can have negative effects if someone were to overdo it. It was only once that I did it, and that was last Saturday night.

A lot of what we do is unknowingly done to keep the brain happy.

The brain is only at its best within quite narrow tolerances.

Too hot? Brain not happy...

Too cold? Brain not happy...

Dehydrated? Brain not happy...

Drunk? Brain not happy...

Not enough sleep? Brain not happy...

Not eaten enough? Brain not happy...

Psychoactive drugs? Brain not happy...

High stress load? Brain not happy...

Etc...

This has been an informational message brought to you by your brain :eek:

Edited by Satu
  • Like 6
Now all of a sudden I want to smoke some more pot. Is this common? I have read that weed is not as bad of a drug as some of the more extreme stuff like cocaine or heroin, or even Ecstasy. How it came about was that this past weekend, me and a female friend, who is an admitted stoner, went to an album release party for a singing group that I did a story on. I was kind of nervous going to this for some reason, even though I was invited by the group's manager to go. So before my friend and I went into the venue where the party was, we went into a high floor of a parking garage where there was nobody and she started smoking a joint, and I had told her earlier in the night that I wanted to try it. I also thought it would help take some of the edge off, which it did, and my mouth also felt dry at some point. I only took three hits before going to the party.

I kind of want to smoke some more, but will it have any harmful effects in the long run? I don't know if I am addicted already.

If you have an addictive personality or anybody in your family (even grand parents, aunts and uncles) have an substance abuse problem then I suggest to take it easy with smoking dope and don't go doing it daily.

• Like 2
dreamingoftigers
In a lot of ways I want to smoke again, but from what was said here, it seems like pot can have negative effects if someone were to overdo it. It was only once that I did it, and that was last Saturday night.

I tried it maybe half a dozen times when I was 19.

I found that it didn't agree we me at all after a bit.

I hated truing to ask someone a question and forgetting what I was trying to say halfway through.

My last time, it must have been laced with something, I got very very dizzy and very sick, I was TERRIFIED, I thought I had permanently done damage to my brain. I was completely disoriented and stoned.

I ate everything I could find because I heard that helps to lessen the symptoms, but it didn't help, I ate so much I threw up a bunch.

It was one of the worst nights of my life. My friends were stoned too and they were really annoyed with me that I was wrecking their buzz.

I felt withdrawal symptoms for days. Never tried it again.

Anything that makes me feel a "pull" toward it concerns me. For instance, my husband just stopped energy drinks, he's been going through withdrawal symptoms all week (mostly extra sleep and headaches). I tried an EIGHTH of a Percocet last year (not recreationally) and it stayed on my mind for weeks. I craved it.

There's so much stuff in this world that can mess you up as it is, I prefer not to add one more thing.

I suggest that should be your last hit. I don't want you to regret after years because you can't quit on your own. Remember, regret always comes at last.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think marijuana can be addicting. I can go months without it and be perfectly fine. Now I only do it on my days off from work and school.

I think whether marijuana becomes addicting depends on the person and their mindset. Someone's who depressed are far more likely to smoke weed a lot as opposed to someone who's not. If you feel like it can become addicting to you then try and either abstain from it or do it rarely.

You don't get addicted to pot like you do with heroin. Heroin is a physical high too and pot is mental because there comes a point in life where you realize that it's better to be high.

But that doesn't mean you're addicted. Just realistic.

• Author

Well, this past weekend I got high again. I took a total of seven hits, four of which were through a bong, and the other three were through a blunt. I felt high after the first three and I even got the munchies a bit. My eyes were also glazed over. I don't feel hooked, but I do feel like there are times when I am like "I could really go for some weed right about now." It was more pot than I smoked last month on the night of that album release party, when I only took five hits, but I only puffed three times before entering the theater the event took place. The other two were after my friend and I left.

Michelle ma Belle

Up until I turned 40, I had never touched any drugs despite having been surrounded by it growing up. My best friend made some pot cookies for my 40th birthday and I got a little carried away to say the least and ended up high as a kite and sick as a dog. Lesson learned.

Since then I have smoked it on occasion with friends and enjoy it if/when it happens but definitely not something I feel I need or want constantly.

As long as it doesn't affect other aspects of your life then enjoy but tread carefully nonetheless.

• Like 1

You probably have a deficiency for THC and your body is thanking you for the smoke!

Enjoy the buzz :) I've been smoking since I was 16 and it has not hindered my

Life one bit but has actually enhanced it.

Well, this past weekend I got high again. I took a total of seven hits, four of which were through a bong, and the other three were through a blunt. I felt high after the first three and I even got the munchies a bit. My eyes were also glazed over. I don't feel hooked, but I do feel like there are times when I am like "I could really go for some weed right about now." It was more pot than I smoked last month on the night of that album release party, when I only took five hits, but I only puffed three times before entering the theater the event took place. The other two were after my friend and I left.

Just don't do drugs and drive your car. End results can be just like drinking and driving.

Ruby Slippers

You've asked a few times about the potential harmfulness of smoking marijuana. If you do a search, you'll find tons of pages of information about the pros and cons of marijuana. It has numerous medicinal uses, and I think there's the typical lung cancer-type risks that are associated with any sort of smoking.

I'm an occasional toker, and some good friends of mine just moved to Washington State, where they can buy many varieties of herb in the store, including edibles like cookies and cannabis-infused chocolates! I watched some videos on how high-end cooks/chefs are cooking with cannabis now. Weed is becoming very trendy!

I bet ingesting is the least risky or potentially harmful delivery method. You can also get a vaporizer, which allows partaking in a way that's probably less risky than smoking.

Or if you want to smoke, do it in moderation so as not to inhale too much smoke.

Archibald Salisbury

Well to me it happened like this. I also got addicted to it because I was enjoying the effects a lot. I would just take some bong hits and then sit and watch youtube. It was really fun but later on I started to get bored from that sort of entertainment. Now im not addicted anymore. I only smoke on occasion when a friend comes for visit and such. With time youll learn to control the addiction, not the other way around.