Side effects on prescription drugs: Was I high?

First and foremost, I must say that I am on medication. I have been on medication for many years and it's ADHD medication. For a while, I had been taking the right amount of the dosage that my doctor prescribed to me, which is twice a day. However, because I was on vacation a week ago, I took it less than prescribed, which happens sometimes. I do try take it twice a day, or once, because I have done that and nothing bad happens.

However, today, I felt side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness and also a bit of a chill in some areas. Not to mention that I found myself going to the bathroom multiple times. I even had class today and I had to ask my teacher to have me present something after someone. I needed to clear my head a bit in some way. I don't know if it was because the side effects are a common thing, or because I was stressed out about something and the effects can sort of feed off of that. I almost felt like I was high on my own prescription today. It does not happen often, by the way.

What do you think was the deal?

Most prescription meds for ADHD cause frequent urination, vasoconstriction (can make you feel cold, especially hands and feet) and drowsiness for sure.

After a weeks vacation on lower dosages, your tolerance may have dropped a teeny bit. It will go back up quickly, though. Within days.

To be on the safe side, it's always best to call up your prescribing doc and let them know what's going on to get their opinion.

It's obviously a medication that alters.

Keep a journal to see what may be affecting you differently. What did you eat? Did you have any drinks?

Have you ever tried weaning off of your medicine? Is that even an option for you?

I forgot! Your original question was asking if you were high. No, not high. Being that you have ADHD, drowsiness can be a dramatic side effect of a high dose of stimulant drugs. You didn't have a high dose but, as I said, your tolerance to your usual prescription probably dropped a smidgen on vacation so you felt like you took quite a dose going back to school just from returning to your regular dose again. Stimulant drugs for ADHD can also awaken the bowels quite a bit, similar to a strong cup of coffee until you adjust to it.

• Author

I have felt some side effects from my meds, like having to go to bathroom, whether it's urination or defecation. Not to mention that I have felt horny when I am on it. I am aware of those effects. I think that yesterday was a moment when I felt it for really good amount of time because I had taken it twice, but it had not been happening as often as I would like to.