Self-harming

I recently met someone who self-harms. His arms were covered with self-inflicted scratches. I wondered how he could be so casual about them, since I've heard that self-hammers usually hide their wounds.

So my question is, why do people who self-harm sometimes reveal or expose their wounds?

• 1 month later...

Not quite true, sometimes we wear watches or bracelets.

• 2 weeks later...
Countryredneckbae
I recently met someone who self-harms. His arms were covered with self-inflicted scratches. I wondered how he could be so casual about them, since I've heard that self-hammers usually hide their wounds.

So my question is, why do people who self-harm sometimes reveal or expose their wounds?

Turthtripper Us who self harm do it to relive our pain and stress. After a while it does get addicting but many can stop after so long. I have been only able to go a month before i had started cutting again. There are all different reasons why people self harm themselfs. Mine is depression, stress, agarvation, and trying to cope with 5 different things at once

Michelle ma Belle

In my experience those who share their experience and reveal their scars are doing so as a way of crying out for help.

• Author
In my experience those who share their experience and reveal their scars are doing so as a way of crying out for help.

That's what I also thought, but apparently it's not, according to those who do self-harm. Since attempting to get answers on LS, I posed this question to a more specific forum. From the mouths of those who self-harm, they expose their wounds as a way of moving forward in their experience of living with the condition. Hiding their wounds is equated with feeling shameful, while exposing them is a sign of self-acceptance-and hopefully offers a transition to healing. Though, I received many angry responses from people who did not want to be perceived as emotionally suffering and in need of therapy/healing, it's simply another way of coping with life's stressors. But it only makes sense that they need to find healthy, alternative ways of doing so in replace of self-harming. I was rather concerned about the self-harming clique attitude on the forum.

• Like 1