Most compelling anti-substance abuse photo I have ever seen

I thought that was Keenly at first! :eek: Thankfully, no.

Reading a comment at the bottom of the article helped clarify the possible intent of the picture to me: after hundreds of family photos (happy, smiling family) the widow shows another "happy, smiling family" picture...but with the tragic reality that life will go on without dad...all thanks to addiction. :( I think what she did was very brave (especially having her kids smile there in such a sad moment).

Thanks for posting, OP. Drug abuse is so criminalized and addicts can become lepers in today's society. But addicts can be our neighbors, co-workers, sons, parents, etc. Addiction is EVERYWHERE. But why might it be on the rise? Is it a sign that we're fundamentally unsatisfied? Are we looking for an antidote to our emotional pain and feelings of emptiness? If so, how can we stop it before it starts?

If not, what other factors are contributing to rampant drug abuse? Not all cultures are affected by drugs in the same way. What causes that? Wealth (access to the drugs), Religion (religious beliefs are on the decline), Isolation (we are a very isolated group of people, imo)?

I don't know. It's complex. And very sad.

• Author

OMG, it did look like Keenly! But no, family situation is quite different.

Thanks for replying....I'm so amazed people can just click on by that photo. I've never seen anything like it.

• Like 1

Totally dysfunctional and cruel for this woman to make her kids stand and smile in front of their father's open casket. Dad's dead and the kids will be scarred for life, mission accomplished?

Totally dysfunctional and cruel for this woman to make her kids stand and smile in front of their father's open casket. Dad's dead and the kids will be scarred for life, mission accomplished?

I get what you seem to be saying.

But, the kids will probably carry a burden forever, picture or no picture. They most likely just don't quite understand it yet. I think I read somewhere that, until about age 9, children have a hard time fully grasping death. So, while they may understand that "dad's gone", they don't get the full ramifications, by any means. I don't think one picture will really be responsible for the trauma they're experiencing.

But, it does look kinda creepy, at least at first.

Ha! No way. That guy is way better looking ;)

Um, no! :)

Anyway, no matter how good looking someone is, death by overdose (especially with young children) is NEVER attractive. It's tragic.

I'm sure the kids are traumatized already. Living with an addict is usually traumatizing.

If this photo reaches one addict and he/she is transformed because of this, then it is worth it and will be a 'mission accomplished'.

OP, thank you for posting this...

• Like 2