How to go from video game addict to cool guy?

Hello. I'm 20 year old guy who study in college. I rarely left my room since i was 13 so I missed a lot of things in life already. I go to college come back home study and play video games. This is my normal day. A lot of people of my age is getting married and having families or already made a lot of good friends I have none of this. When I try to talk to girls I don't know what to say because I'm so disconnected. Also I have health issues. I'm very skinny and my bones are visible even when I eat a lot of food. Sometimes I try to get out and socialize with people but they tend to use me or ignore me. So basically I have no choice other than sit at home all day. I know I'm a big loser but don't know how to change.

La.Primavera

I know you feel like you have missed out on a lot of things so far but the great news is you’re only twenty so you haven’t missed much. Your twenties are when you really start to learn about yourself and experience life as an adult.

I’m sure after isolating yourself for so long it will be challenging to connect with people but with time it will become a lot easier. Perhaps you could start off small. You could get a part time job where you can meet people your age or maybe you could join a club or group that you think might be interesting and start getting to know a few people who share a common interest. I know plenty of people who are part of gaming groups. That could be a good option for you.

I also want to encourage you to embrace who you are and do what you enjoy. You will attract likeminded people to you that way. Don’t run yourself down or compare your experience to others. You don’t need to be settled down with a family yet, unless that is what you want. This is your life so do whatever makes you feel happy!

All the best.

Clarence_Boddicker

Great album. I love the vid for Enter Sandman.

I was a massive gammer back in the day. I mastered many Atari 2600 games, including the better Activision ones. I wore out joy sticks within a few months. I had a Celecovision, Intellivision and one I can't remember the name of because it was kind of obscure (it came with a special monitor screen that made perfectly straight lines, but not pixels. The Arcade games Battlezone & StarWars used that technology.), along with my original 2600 & it's replacement due to overheating. I also spent a lot of time & money at arcades playing real games. I eventually got over gaming. I moved onto working on cars. I got back into games when real home computers were somewhat affordable. Wolfenstein, LSL, Duke Nukem, ROTT, Myst, Tomb Raider, Doom, Quake, etc were fun, but not the same as doing real things like cruising around & hanging out with real people and girls.

Eventually real life stuff took priority over games. Dating, college, work, parties, cruising, traveling left little time for games. Beating a game is great, but in my experience doing something different is far more rewarding. Rebuilding your first engine, nailing a tricky corner at your limit of adhesion, not missing a shift or line on a tricky canyon or mountain road at double the posted limit, restoring your first old car on a tight budget. Taking a special girl to a less known place to watch the city lights, hiking to see waterfalls or old gold mines, taking day trips to Tahoe or Reno, camping out at night on BLM land to watch the Perseid meteor showers with coyotes howling in the distance. Going to a drive in movie party with your friends & girls till the last movie is over around 4am & then hanging out at Denny's. Camping out at the Bugorama & watching drunk people tripping over exhaust stinger pipes and cops chasing kids with beer. Beach camping at Pismo beach with friends & building bonfires. 4th of July illegal fireworks displays from boats on Folsom lake. New years street parties at SF or Reno. Clubbing in the gas light district. Walking Venice beach, etc etc

Find something you like to do besides gaming & if you put the effort into it, you'll probably draw like minded people to you. If people mistreat or use you, cut them out of your life.

Today's games are a million times better than what I started with. I have almost zero interest in playing them. It's kinda fun to watch friends play them for a bit, but it gets boring quick. I'd rather learn to repair an old bakelite vacuum tube radio, restore a VN era starlight scope or find something old and neat for cheap at the GW bargain barn.

• Author

Thank you guys for replies! Currently I'm studying electrical engineering and I'm planning to spend more time and energy on it. Maybe it will distract me from all negative thoughts. It was interesting to hear about your experiences Clarence_Boddicker!

Clarence_Boddicker

I'd just get outside as much as possible & talk to people. There's a lot you can learn from most people. Sure it's awkward at first, but you'll get the hang of it. Learn to listen & how to flirt. Try to find something to be happy about. Set up some routines. Hang out at certain places & become a regular. Get a part time job. Volunteer somewhere. Stuff like that.