A friend's drinking pattern worries me...

sportygirl89

He's always been a big partier, especially if close friends are around. A few weekends ago he told me had 15 beers in one night. All I could think of is ouch when he said that. He had more beers on the day before (his state it's been a beer festival all month). I just worry about him. He says he has personal issues he has to work on. But I'm starting to wonder if it's the amount of alcohol he consumes. He has 20-40 bottles of wine at home at a given time and he lives by himself. Is 15 beers in one day normal for a man in his 30s?

Normal is one thing; healthy is completely different. Sure, I've known plenty of guys who can slam back a 12-pack after work, nearly daily. It's 'normal' for them. Is it 'healthy'? IDK. Some are working stiffs like me. Others are or have been very successful business owners and people responsible for the lives and fortunes of others.

If the beer count is daily and he drinks alone regularly, the propensity for the lifestyle to impact his life is strong. Scary version? Driving drunk or impaired. Similarly operating machinery (big problem in my industry).

Will he change? IMO, absent a life-altering event, probably not. IMO, as a friend, all one can do is attempt to provide a positive influence and be the DD whenever possible to keep everyone safe.

• Like 3
pureinheart
He's always been a big partier, especially if close friends are around. A few weekends ago he told me had 15 beers in one night. All I could think of is ouch when he said that. He had more beers on the day before (his state it's been a beer festival all month). I just worry about him. He says he has personal issues he has to work on. But I'm starting to wonder if it's the amount of alcohol he consumes. He has 20-40 bottles of wine at home at a given time and he lives by himself. Is 15 beers in one day normal for a man in his 30s?

Just out of curiosity, is there any other drugs involved to your knowledge? Prescriptions or street?

It could be a phase ... let's hope it is. I'm not much of a drinker, although back when going through some major life changes, I drank 5 beers every night for 2 or 3 weeks. I lived alone, stayed home and drank and had a good time by myself (normally I was a social drinker, drinking maybe 3 or 4 time per year)...got on the net, drunk called a few people leaving messages of encouragement ... I'm sure I had a good stash of alcohol on hand also.

Your friend says he has personal issues to work on... so he's probably stressed and that's why he's drinking. When you see an open door, encourage him. If he's feeling overwhelmed, getting on his case will only turn him away (I'm not saying you are on his case). Show him by example...

Clarence_Boddicker

Is he Irish?

Does "One beer" still equal a six pack?

15 beers in a day is definitely too much. The issue is the alcohol content. Some beers contain 2.8 and some over 10 oz of alcohol.

A lot of the common beers, Bud, Miller, etc contain 5 oz, so that's 75 oz of alcohol in the 15 beers... yea, over 5 times what is considered moderate drinking.

Lots of ways to reduce the alcohol content:

Have a glass of non alcohol before the first drink (water), and don't drink on an empty stomach. Have a glass of water between drinks. Switch to lower alcohol drinks, lite beer, etc. And set a limit that works and stick to it.

Also try to allow two days with no drinking per week.

Too often, in a social setting, that "one more" is always there, and then another and another..... set limits. If you still want to hang around the bar, switch to non alcohol drinks.

I've dated both alcoholics and heavy drinkers, and when limits are exceeded, it's not only unhealthy, but hurts relationships.

I'm a moderate lite beer drinker and set limits and have habits like above. If I need more liquid, I use water. I'll even dilute my beer 50/50 with water, as long as it's cold, it works fine. (I know a lot of people couldn't do that).

If one cannot control their drinking, they have a REAL problem.

• Like 1
pureinheart

I'm a moderate lite beer drinker and set limits and have habits like above. If I need more liquid, I use water. I'll even dilute my beer 50/50 with water, as long as it's cold, it works fine. (I know a lot of people couldn't do that).

Thought I was the only one that did that...

15 beers at night is way to much, chances are he is still lit when going to work and driving like that too.

Your body after the first 20 mins of consumption expels approx the equivalent of one beer per hour after they are drank..

I would also think that drinking that much would also mean he was having liquid lunch/dinner as well and replacing much needed good food with beer.

It sounds like to me he is on his way to having a decent drinking problem he will have to deal with in the future..

• Like 1

15 drinks/day is not normal for anyone. he is an alcoholic (trust me i know)

15 drinks/day is not normal for anyone. he is an alcoholic (trust me i know)

Well, he may or may not be an alcoholic...If he can control his drinking, he's probably not (but still could have problems). He may choose to have that much, not because he "just keeps drinking", and the next night he can not have any.

Still, too, much and he probably is.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming from a recovering alcoholic here, I can say with all honesty that's far to much. Id suspect he's numbing some sort of pain and it could be a ticket to

Bigger problems down the road. Keep in mind, he will only realize this when he's ready too. Addiction is addiction and we have to be fully ready to surrender in order to kick it. My best to you with this. Keep hope and keep it in the day.

Mea

Alcoholic, sorry to say it. I've seen only one person who could tolerate such an amount, and he was alcoholic from years (that's why such a high tolerance).

He needs to look for help.

GunslingerRoland

One thing to remember is even if he isn't technically an alcoholic, he is killing himself.

My Step Father probably didn't fit into most people's definition of an alcoholic. He never missed a day of work hungover, he never drank at work, he never drank and drove, never got in an argument drunk, didn't pass out drunk. But he worked on the rigs and when he was working he'd have 10 drinks after work because that's what you do out there. At home he didn't drink as much, but my Mom and him would still go out regularly and he'd have a number of drinks there too.

He died at 60 due to liver failure from it.