LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Addiction & Recovery

Can someone be addicted to weed??

Addiction & Recovery Recognizing, conquering, and coping with addictions, substance abuse & dependence.

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2016, 11:27 AM   #31
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeta View Post
She uses it 3-4 times a week with friends. On top of that you have to add those times she uses it to relax and the times she needs after movies, and what else? after dentist? after getting her garage bill? What is the total now? 7-8 times a week?

Just out of curiosity. How much all this pot cost?
I think another telling sign of addiction, or close to, is when he asked her to not smoke it for ONE NIGHT ...and her response to was to get angry and start an argument.

I think that right there shows this is a significant issue for her....I mean it was one night!

Unless she's rebelling against her perception that he's attempting to control and dominate her ....which given his own admission that he tends to be dominant in relationships, is definitely something to consider too.

I think there is more to this story than she smokes pot ...

If she's starting arguments and shyt, she may be on her way out .....

JMO
katiegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 11:33 AM   #32
Established Member

Replying as an avid smoker.

If you don't smoke regularly you won't understand. Smoking to some is a necessity not because of addition but because of the positive effects it has on our life. For me it helps regulate my moods. I was an emotional mess and flying off the walls, until I returned to smoking daily.

Weed is very taboo - this is clearly changing now thank God.

I'm 32, successful in my career, run a horse farm also by myself on top of working full time, have great relationships with friends etc. Weed is not a negative thing. The way people perceive it what is negative.

If you are truly against cannabis use then I say break it off. My advice however is to accept it, and maybe learn more about it so you understand the benefits it can bring to some people's lives.
VeveCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 11:36 AM   #33
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveweary11 View Post
That's it! Sativa strains only.

Household indica ban.
This was my thought too - I like the Kush as it makes me super motivated to clean house lol
Old 21st January 2016, 11:37 AM   #34
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letmeknow View Post
As a pothead, I don't believe she "needs it" even though that is what she is saying.
Even though she says herself she needs it you don't believe she does? You mean you know better than her? When someone tell you they need something usually it's because they do. In the morning when I say I need my coffee, believe me, it's cause I need it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letmeknow View Post
3-4 times a week on occasion prolly puts you at an eighth every 2-3 weeks probably. It depends how much you buy at a time for cost..an eighth is usually around $45.
No, read again.

3-4 times a week means 3-4 times a week. Not every other week.

So 4 X $45 = $180 a week for smoking with friends.
If we add the whining down, the calming down, and what's not lets add another 3X$45 = $135

Total: $315 a WEEK. Lets round it up to $280. Lets be conservative. That is $1,120 a month budget on pot.
Old 21st January 2016, 11:40 AM   #35
Established Member

I smoke daily and several times a day on the weekend, I used to spend about $60 for a month and a half so not sure where you are getting those numbers.

Who cares if she needs it? It's a natural plant with many benefits. Many people NEED their anti depressants and viagara but we don't call them addicts. Cannabis is not a drug, it's a plant. Get educated!
Old 21st January 2016, 11:51 AM   #36
Established Member

Quote:
No, read again.

3-4 times a week means 3-4 times a week. Not every other week.

So 4 X $45 = $180 a week for smoking with friends.
If we add the whining down, the calming down, and what's not lets add another 3X$45 = $135

Total: $315 a WEEK. Lets round it up to $280. Lets be conservative. That is $1,120 a month budget on pot.
No, Gaeta, the math was right. If she smokes 3-4 times a week, then she is using an 8th of weed every 2-3 weeks. "An 8th of weed" is equal to 3.5 grams, which is what costs $45.
losangelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 11:55 AM   #37
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveCakes View Post
Replying as an avid smoker.

If you don't smoke regularly you won't understand. Smoking to some is a necessity not because of addition but because of the positive effects it has on our life. For me it helps regulate my moods. I was an emotional mess and flying off the walls, until I returned to smoking daily.

Weed is very taboo - this is clearly changing now thank God.

I'm 32, successful in my career, run a horse farm also by myself on top of working full time, have great relationships with friends etc. Weed is not a negative thing. The way people perceive it what is negative.

If you are truly against cannabis use then I say break it off. My advice however is to accept it, and maybe learn more about it so you understand the benefits it can bring to some people's lives.
Well being how he said in his OP how funny, engaging, social and full of energy she is when she DOESN'T smoke, obviously she doesn't need it to regulate moods or enhance her life.
katiegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 11:57 AM   #38
Established Member

Quote:

Who cares if she needs it? It's a natural plant with many benefits. Many people NEED their anti depressants and viagara but we don't call them addicts. Cannabis is not a drug, it's a plant. Get educated!
I think you are the one who should get educated. A lot of our medications, dangerous medications that can kill or damage us come from plants. It's not because it's a plant that it's inoffensive.

There are 100s of studies now on damages caused by long term usage of pot. The pot you buy is not the pot they used in the 70s either. Your pot is cut with all types of sh$t.

SHORT-TERM EFFECTS

• Sensory distortion
  • Panic
  • Anxiety
  • Poor coordination of movement
  • Lowered reaction time
  • After an initial up, the user feels sleepy or depressed
  • Increased heartbeat (and risk of heart attack)
LONG-term effects of marijuana

• Reduced resistance to common illnesses (colds, bronchitis, etc.)
  • Suppression of the immune system
  • Growth disorders
  • Increase of abnormally structured cells in the body
  • Reduction of male sex hormones
  • Rapid destruction of lung fibers and lesions (injuries) to the brain could be permanent
  • Reduced sexual capacity
  • Study difficulties: reduced ability to learn and retain information
  • Apathy, drowsiness, lack of motivation
  • Personality and mood changes
  • Inability to understand things clearly
Gaeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 11:58 AM   #39
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodaloo View Post
Until you step up a gear and compete and get a random drugs test then its Hasta la vista baby and a heck of a lot of lost custom and shame...
The only time I was ever subjected to random drug tests was at a minimum wage job at a nursery. I spent a significant part of my career in Pharma working with schedule 1 narcotics and I was never tested, nor was I required to as a condition of employment. They had the rather ridiculous view that if it wasn't affecting your work it was none of their business.

You do realize of course that the only reason companies routinely check for pot is that detection is cheap and easy, and cannabinoids can remain detectable in your blood for up to 30 days. And it's a way for companies to pay lip service to a drug-free workplace while avoiding the expense of more thorough tests that can reveal historical use of far more problematic drugs.

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 21st January 2016 at 4:02 PM..
WaitingForBardot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 4:03 PM   #40
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

<< end of moved posts >>

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 11th February 2016 at 5:25 PM.. Reason: updated end of the moved posts ~6
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 1:53 AM   #41
Established Member

I was addicted to weed for ten years. When I didn't smoke, I became very agitated, angry and depressed. I quit for many reasons: I hated the smoker's cough I had, the extra weight from the munchies and the cost. I've almost reached 120 days without weed and I feel great.

We can become addicted to any substance or pattern of behavior.
BettyDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 3:18 PM   #42

A person can become addicted to anything. Drugs, food, gambling, shopping, etc.

Yes you can be addicted to marijuana. Marijuana Addiction Is Rare, But Very Real

Rare but it happens to people.
candycane82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 8:08 AM   #43

Quote:

It's as much, or little, a drug as alcohol is. It's harmful if used wrongly.

Talking about addictions, it's not ultimately about the substance, type of food etc. It's about your abnormal dopamine consumption. Anything can cause it: drugs, alcohol, chocolate, playing games, masturbation or playing basketball.
borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 2:27 AM   #44
Established Member

Quote:
I think you are the one who should get educated. A lot of our medications, dangerous medications that can kill or damage us come from plants. It's not because it's a plant that it's inoffensive.

There are 100s of studies now on damages caused by long term usage of pot. The pot you buy is not the pot they used in the 70s either. Your pot is cut with all types of sh$t.

SHORT-TERM EFFECTS

• Sensory distortion
  • Panic
  • Anxiety
  • Poor coordination of movement
  • Lowered reaction time
  • After an initial up, the user feels sleepy or depressed
  • Increased heartbeat (and risk of heart attack)
LONG-term effects of marijuana

• Reduced resistance to common illnesses (colds, bronchitis, etc.)
  • Suppression of the immune system
  • Growth disorders
  • Increase of abnormally structured cells in the body
  • Reduction of male sex hormones
  • Rapid destruction of lung fibers and lesions (injuries) to the brain could be permanent
  • Reduced sexual capacity
  • Study difficulties: reduced ability to learn and retain information
  • Apathy, drowsiness, lack of motivation
  • Personality and mood changes
  • Inability to understand things clearly
A lot of those studies, I've noticed, are if you do them too often (like every day), or if you start at a young age (in no way am I dismissing your findings)

Most of the anxiety, paranoia, and most of the short term effects highly depends on the strain and the type (i.e. sativa, indica). If not from a proper dispensiary or doctor you're more likely to come across hybrids which can greatly affect how you react as well.

Too much of anything is never a good thing and everyone reacts to think differenty (someone who's depressed are more likely to smoke a week than someone who isn't, etc.). If it interferes with your everyday life and functions then it's safe to say it's an addiction.
Sunberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 6:40 PM   #45
Established Member

A lot of people with ADHD (low and behold, it's a real condition, not a marketing scheme) self medicate with weed (or other drugs) as it helps settle their mind in much the same way.

As negatively as you talk about ADHD medications they are quite necessary for some people and a long with therapy can do a world of good. Maybe the first step for her, should be getting treatment for her condition so that she can function without being high.
GunslingerRoland is offline   Reply With Quote