LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Addiction & Recovery

Can someone be addicted to weed??

Addiction & Recovery Recognizing, conquering, and coping with addictions, substance abuse & dependence.

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2015, 7:50 AM   #16
Established Member

Cannabis (Marijuana) Withdrawal | Psych Central

Quote:
Cannabis withdrawal involves experiencing at least two psychological and one physiological symptom (at least three symptoms total) after stopping heavy and prolonged marijuana use (e.g., daily or almost daily use for the past several months).

Some psychological symptoms a person may experience following cannabis abstinence include:
Irritability
Anxiety
Depressed mood
Restlessness
Changes in sleeping (e.g., insomnia, fatigue)
Changes in eating (e.g., reduced appetite/weight loss).
Physical symptoms include
Abdominal pain
Sweatiness
Shakiness
Fever
Chills
Headache

Cannabis withdrawal has been documented among adolescents and adults. Withdrawal tends to be more common and severe among adults, most likely related to the more persistent and greater frequency and quantity of use among adults.
elaine567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2015, 8:11 AM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine567 View Post

Wow!

Literally every one of those psychological symptoms was there when she ran out or didn't have enough of it.

Great information.

Makes me wonder if she was on her Setraline mostly due to weed issues.

She also had that weird, translucent, pasty looking skin serious stoners have. Ever noticed that?
loveweary11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2015, 5:45 AM   #18
Established Member

Yes....my bf is.

It's a huge issue because I'm not into drugs at all and I'd already fallen for him by the time I found out.

IMO, they won't stop unless they want to.

I've told my bf I don't like it and he does limit his use but I doubt he would stop for me. I'm under no illusions. I hope that 1 day he will stop for himself.

IMO marajuana is often talked up as being so wonderful. For addicts it just makes them lazy, passive, boring, spaced out, unmotivated and in my bfs case, really grumpy after his high wears off. I can't even smoke it casually by seeing how it effects him...it's really turned me off to the drug.

He also gets EVERY item on that list...always has a headache, shivers, a stomach cramp...I tell him it's probably the weed and he can't make the connection at all. True addict.

Last edited by Nikki Sahagin; 14th March 2015 at 5:47 AM..
Nikki Sahagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2015, 5:56 AM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Can someone be addicted to weed??
Yes.
Arieswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2015, 12:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
besides the fact that one blunt = 20+ cigarettes
LoL, I remember sitting through those D.A.R.E. indoctrination sessions as well.
NGC1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2015, 1:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Sahagin View Post
He also gets EVERY item on that list...always has a headache, shivers, a stomach cramp...I tell him it's probably the weed and he can't make the connection at all. True addict.
Psychological distress is well-documented to often manifest itself as physical symptoms. This should not be confused with actual chemical dependence, such as with alcohol.

Caffeine is another drug known to be physically addictive, so we should not correlate the potential for physical addiction with danger.

I'm sorry but any "study" showing marijuana to be chemically/physically addictive is dubious at best. I get the drug is illegal, and thus frowned upon, but even if it WAS physically addictive, that wouldn't mean it's any more dangerous than many perfectly legal drugs.
NGC1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 9:59 AM   #22
Established Member

<Moderation pulled a more general discussion regarding marijuana out of a relationship topic and moved it here to our Addiction and Recovery forum to be continued as members see fit>

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendahke View Post
If her being lethargic is the issue, then perhaps she should get the kind of pot that makes one industrious as opposed to lethargic.
That's it! Sativa strains only.

Household indica ban.

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 21st January 2016 at 3:57 PM..
loveweary11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 10:40 AM   #23
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodaloo View Post
and this is why I do not date people who do drugs...

Spent far too many nights at college bored out of my skull because everyone else was sat around making unintelligible noises and not doing anything...

Sorry FF... As Queen sang... dum dum dum another one bites the dust...

So so so very important to be singing from the same song sheet with stuff like this. Its not worth bothering at all if you are not.
You guys do know that alcohol is a drug, right?
Httm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 10:56 AM   #24
Established Member

I'm aware that not every pot/alcohol user turns into an addict, but a NEED to use it as a frequent source of recreation (3-4 x a week) and source to calm down (before sleep) - this suggests dependence/addiction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Httm View Post
As someone that does neither, I do not believe either to be addictive in and of themselves. They have potential to be, but differ based on the person.
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 10:56 AM   #25
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Httm View Post
You guys do know that alcohol is a drug, right?
You do know I don't date drunkards either right? Or people on steroids... or people who have any kind of habitual drug addiction that is out of control...

If someone asked me not to smoke for a couple of hours I see no problem with that. This girl however kicked off about it.

Same principles apply anyway.

If you both have different attitudes about something so fundamental it will never work out.

I have friends who smoke pot. Doesn't mean I want them in my bed or that I want to start it up myself does it...
Toodaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 11:02 AM   #26
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeta View Post
Does that sound normal to you? Not to me.

Would someone coming out of a movie would say: Man I need a drink that movie was intense!

Pot 3-4 times a week with friends
Pot to whine down before bed
Pot to relax from an intense movie
What else? She likes her pot before sex too?

It's not recreational anymore it's an addiction.

Do you want everyone of your memories together tinted with pot?

This is us in Italy (she's on pot), this is us at xmas (she's on pot), the best sex she was on pot.

Meh....
How do you know if it's an addiction?? Maybe she loves smoking pot that much.

I smoke 2-3 times a day. Once before I workout in the morning. Once when I get home and usually once before bed. I do it because I enjoy it.

I can go days without it, I can go weeks, I've gone months! You can not agree with it but maybe she wants the answer to this question, "Do you want everyone of your memories together tinted with pot?" to be "Yes".

If you don't like it you should probably get out of the relationship.
Letmeknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 11:05 AM   #27
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letmeknow View Post
How do you know if it's an addiction?? Maybe she loves smoking pot that much.
It's an addiction because she NEEDS it contrary to your example where you do it because you LIKE IT.

FF has asked her to tone it down, she can't do it. When you cannot put pot aside for 1 day, I'd say it's an addiction. When you NEED it to calm down it's an addiction the same way I would see someone needing alcohol to calm down as an addiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letmeknow View Post
If you don't like it you should probably get out of the relationship.
I agree with that.
Old 21st January 2016, 11:09 AM   #28
Established Member

She uses it 3-4 times a week with friends. On top of that you have to add those times she uses it to relax and the times she needs after movies, and what else? after dentist? after getting her garage bill? What is the total now? 7-8 times a week?

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 21st January 2016 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: off-topic content redacted ~6
Gaeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 11:14 AM   #29
Established Member

Quote:
FF has asked her to tone it down, she can't do it. When you cannot put pot aside for 1 day, I'd say it's an addiction.
I disagree. When you cannot put pot aside for yourself for 1 day, probably a dependence issue. When you don't put it aside for someone else that wants to change you into someone they might prefer, I'd say it's a case of having healthy boundaries.
Old 21st January 2016, 11:19 AM   #30
Established Member

Quote:
She uses it 3-4 times a week with friends. On top of that you have to add those times she uses it to relax and the times she needs after movies, and what else? after dentist? after getting her garage bill? What is the total now? 7-8 times a week?

Just out of curiosity. How much all this pot cost?
As a pothead, I don't believe she "needs it" even though that is what she is saying.

3-4 times a week on occasion prolly puts you at an eighth every 2-3 weeks probably. It depends how much you buy at a time for cost..an eighth is usually around $45.
Letmeknow is offline   Reply With Quote