Facebook & Mobile phone

Hi Everyone.

Im sure im not alone with this but 2015 is the year I want to try and kick this habit of spending too much time on social media and my mobile phone.

I dread to think the amount of time I spend wasting my day away (even if in work) on these things.

Even when I dont have a text or phone call im on my phone checking facebook or whatsapp, and checking up on my girlfriend (this is being discussed in another thread). My little brother has even noticed and commented how im always on my phone.

Unfortunately the job im in involves using facebook at times so I cant delete it and tbh I dotn want to delete it because its handy for keeping in touch with friends or organising events.

is there anyone out there with tips of how to cut down on usage?

Thank you

• Like 1
  • Author
You'll get tired of it when you start to notice how redundant everything on FB is. Same Newsfeed, different day.

I know, its a whole lot of rubbish, BUT that isnt stopping me at all.

I know, its a whole lot of rubbish, BUT that isnt stopping me at all.

Perhaps you can challenge yourself - and give yourself like 5-10 minutes every hour, and slowly cut it over time?

I used to be pretty obsessed with FB myself. The best way I cut my obsession (to the point where I can go days without checking it now) was by deactivating it for months on end. To reactivate, I would give myself a condition that must be followed. "I need to finish reading a novel" or "I need to get a job before, I can activate my Facebook" was the best one at the time. I stayed off for like 3 months. :)

• Like 1
  • Author
Perhaps you can challenge yourself - and give yourself like 5-10 minutes every hour, and slowly cut it over time?

I used to be pretty obsessed with FB myself. The best way I cut my obsession (to the point where I can go days without checking it now) was by deactivating it for months on end. To reactivate, I would give myself a condition that must be followed. "I need to finish reading a novel" or "I need to get a job before, I can activate my Facebook" was the best one at the time. I stayed off for like 3 months. :)

I think that's a good idea however because of my work I cant delete it.

5-10 mins every hour sounds like a good starting point though.

How about mobile phone usage, texts etc? is that a similar method. I feel on edge if I dont have my phone by me.

I think that's a good idea however because of my work I cant delete it.

5-10 mins every hour sounds like a good starting point though.

How about mobile phone usage, texts etc? is that a similar method. I feel on edge if I dont have my phone by me.

I think you can apply the same method to texts and phone usage. Give yourself that 10 mins - and if you need to go on FB, make a call, write a text, respond back (about unimportant things) then do it within that 10 mins. After that, unless it is an emergency - you cannot touch the phone.

If you're feeling on edge, then it is clearly a sign to disconnect as much as you can - since you should not be relying on a device. I'm sure you realize this. It will suck at first, but it gets easier day by day.

Also, if you're out at an event, with family and friends - or basically just spending time with others - put the phone away. It's extremely rude, and on the plus side, you're cutting back in more ways than one.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
CrystalShine2011

Plan out your day. I've found that writing down what I want to get done (and perhaps silly) but how much time I want to spend on social media makes me actually recognize how much time I am wasting on there.

Usually I am on fb and other sites due to boredom. SO. I keep myself busy and try to have more things to do throughout the day.

• 3 weeks later...
melodicintention

Easy answer. Delete all your apps. Stop logging in. Use email to communicate with people. Read and actual book. Take up a hobby. Excercise. Go for a walk, go to the mall. Replace the habit with a positive one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rko28,

FB used to consume all of my time. I still think I spend too much time on it - not as much as I did before though. I can't quit it either, since it's my main way of keeping in contact with people I'm not so close with. Plus, I also need to run events.

What helped me cut down was to unfollow all of my friends (by putting them into the "acquaintances" list, as well as unfollowing all the news websites I had "liked". I'm more of a PC person, and I find the phone version of FB less convenient to use. I do get the majority of my work done in front of a PC, hence by leaving my phone as the only way to check on things, I keep it from interfering. Once your news feed becomes a bunch of random posts from different bands you like, it becomes more monotonous and much less distracting.

I don't have that many friends with whom I am regularly in contact. So I don't know how to best deal with the need to stay in contact. Generally, however, I follow a policy of not using my phone for anything but work while I'm at work. I deal with the replies later at once. If someone really needs to contact you for genuinely serious purposes at that time, get a work number and keep it separate from your private one. Same for emails.

Once you get the barriers set up at work, you may find it easier to follow the rules outside of it, such as in your private life.