hi, i'm alphamale & i'm an alcoholic...

my drinking got out of control. just spent 40 days in rehab. i quit smoking too. and i am off benzos also. have to start AA meetings soon.

anyone have any comments or advice?

• Like 11
my drinking got out of control. just spent 40 days in rehab. i quit smoking too. and i am off benzos also. have to start AA meetings soon.

Congrats alpha!

Welcome! Get to a meeting today! (It's all about today) - and ask someone in your meeting to sponsor you. Someone who has been doing the steps.

Share today with the group and tell them you need a sponsor now - to take you through your step work.

Are you doing counseling?

• Like 3
evanescentworld

Congratulations, and very well done by admitting this and bringing it into the open.

I have great admiration for you and wish you every success in your resolve to live life differently.

You are, and always will be, an alcoholic.

But with your will, and much support, you will be an alcoholic who doesn't drink.

Never say "I quit drinking/smoking."

Say "I DON'T drink/I DON'T smoke."

That reinforces your resolve and states it like it is.

Never be afraid to admit if you slip up.

it happens.

but we're rooting for you.

• Like 4

Congrats buddy. Any life improvements that benefits your health is a good thing. Can imagine how hard it's been for you..

I need to quit smoking too, so you're inspiring me.

Find yourself a good sponsor, my best friend has been sober 20+ years now, still goes to AA meeting and still speaks to her sponsor too.

• Like 4

Well done and good luck with your recovery.

How are you feeling after rehab?

• Like 1

Just some (((hugs))) to you and congratulations, keep up the good work- as I'm sure you already know it's hard and it's very easy to go back- keep your guard up.

• Like 2
Congrats buddy. Any life improvements that benefits your health is a good thing. Can imagine how hard it's been for you..

Find yourself a good sponsor, my best friend has been sober 20+ years now, still goes to AA meeting and still speaks to her sponsor too.

Maybe we should check in too (for smoking) ...not sure about you, but I am a B when quitting smoking (have been though this several times before) and it would save my family a lot of heartache:eek::o

Hi I'm Art_Critic and I'm an alcoholic, I have been sober since June 28th 1987.

No comments or advice, just hugs Alpha and congrats on wanting to quit.

• Like 10

Hi Alphamale.

The first step of getting past a problem is admitting that there is one. They are some big brave moves you've taken and you should be very proud of yourself.

I'm proud of you. XO

• Like 4

Comments: Sorry to hear things got out of hand for you, Alpha. I hope it didn't end up costing you more than maybe some embarrassment and disruption. But glad to know you're making the changes you need to make.

Advice: I don't have much advice to offer, except maybe to make your relationships with friends and family one of your highest priorities. They will support you, and you'll be more likely to resist temptation knowing they care for you and rely on you.

• Like 3
Michelle ma Belle

Congratulations!

My only "advice" is stick to your program. You can't do this alone. Take it one day at a time and never be afraid to ask for the help.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi Alpha!

Remember that alcohol never solves any problems. In most cases it creates even more of them. Find someone who you can rely on to be there to talk when you need an ear. Don't try to do it on your own. It's not weakness to ask for help.

You've taken the first step and admitted you are an alcoholic!

Attend your AA meetings and find a good friend to help you in the rough times. There are many here on LS that will listen to you.

Good to hear from you, Alpha!

Not many left from the old timers.

Hang in there and be kind to yourself!

Yamaha

• Like 1
  • Author

i don't even miss cigarets anymore

One day at a time.

indeed

Just some (((hugs))) to you and congratulations, keep up the good work- as I'm sure you already know it's hard and it's very easy to go back- keep your guard up.

thanx

Hi I'm Art_Critic and I'm an alcoholic, I have been sober since June 28th 1987.

No comments or advice, just hugs Alpha and congrats on wanting to quit.

thanx

Hi Alphamale.

The first step of getting past a problem is admitting that there is one. They are some big brave moves you've taken and you should be very proud of yourself.

I'm proud of you. XO

thanks

Comments: Sorry to hear things got out of hand for you, Alpha. I hope it didn't end up costing you more than maybe some embarrassment and disruption. But glad to know you're making the changes you need to make.

Advice: I don't have much advice to offer, except maybe to make your relationships with friends and family one of your highest priorities. They will support you, and you'll be more likely to resist temptation knowing they care for you and rely on you.

yeah family comes 1st

Hi Alpha!

Remember that alcohol never solves any problems. In most cases it creates even more of them. Find someone who you can rely on to be there to talk when you need an ear. Don't try to do it on your own. It's not weakness to ask for help.

You've taken the first step and admitted you are an alcoholic!

Attend your AA meetings and find a good friend to help you in the rough times. There are many here on LS that will listen to you.

Good to hear from you, Alpha!

Not many left from the old timers.

Hang in there and be kind to yourself!

Yamaha

you are right yammie

• Like 2
  • Author
How are you doing thus far? How does it feel to have a clear head?

doing fine. i feel great :laugh:

• Like 8

Alpha - are continuing counseling now that you're home; to recognize what the cause is of why you drank? Are you addressing your fears and anger?

Good for you Alpha.

Sometimes it is hard to change your life for the better but you are doing it. You should be proud.

hi alpha!

Congrats on your sobriety! Celebrate your success each day.

Normally once getting out of rehab, they advise you to do 90 meetings in 90 days. Is that doable for you? Have you found a sponsor yet? Do you have a good support network? Are you working the steps?

My advice - find a 'home group' (AA meeting you really feel supported in). Embrace the program, remove all non-supportive and/or drinking friends from your phone/social media/social life. You don't need the temptation or the hassle of them.

Have a list of people you can reach out to if you are feeling tempted or triggering. Use that network. That is what they are there for.

Feeling down? Go to a meeting. Feeling anxious? Go to a meeting. Feeling awesome? Go to a meeting. Don't just attend meetings - immerse yourself in them - open up, share your story. Listen to others there; be a support to a newbie. Do you have any 'unity' clubs there? Those are places that have meetings 24/7 - they also have special events for sober people to attend; especially on the holidays, the superbowl, etc.

I wish you much success! You can conquer this demon and have an amazing life. One step at a time.

Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;

enjoying one moment at a time;

accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;

taking, as He did, this sinful world

as it is, not as I would have it;

trusting that He will make all things right

if I surrender to His Will;

that I may be reasonably happy in this life

and supremely happy with Him

forever in the next.

Amen.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Congratulation! Keep it up. How does your experience in rehab? I have an alcoholic friend, we've been persuading him to quit for a long time, but accepting help is hard for him. His life is really a mess now. I'm also worried to his wife and children that lives in Nevada. Lately, I've been looking into some addiction resources online and I realize that finding a treatment program is not an easy task. I'm still confused if alcohol intervention services can really convince my friend to seek treatment. What methods have worked with you?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Remove commercial link
  • 1 year later...
  • Author
Alpha - are continuing counseling now that you're home; to recognize what the cause is of why you drank? Are you addressing your fears and anger?

I drank because i'm bipolar. But i've been alcohol free for 2 years...

• Like 7