Trying to deal with addict boyfriend

Mag-Lone-Freak

I hate it. He wants to sober up but he's so attracted to junkie friends and media... He doesn't want therapy or rehab, so I'm trying to be there for him and help but it doesn't work. Now he's playing this video game all about the criminal lifestyle with drugs and sluts and he knows it bothers me and why but doesn't care. He would break up with me if I threw it out. He thinks it won't trigger his choice to use but I'm one that thinks music and movies with that theme defined can do the trick, especially in a video game where he's playing the role of a criminal junkie surrounded by dope and sluts... I don't know how to deal more n more... I'm starting to slip. Any opinions about this and what to do?

M

SincereOnlineGuy
I hate it. He wants to sober up but he's so attracted to junkie friends and media... He doesn't want therapy or rehab, so I'm trying to be there for him and help but it doesn't work. Now he's playing this video game all about the criminal lifestyle with drugs and sluts and he knows it bothers me and why but doesn't care. He would break up with me if I threw it out. He thinks it won't trigger his choice to use but I'm one that thinks music and movies with that theme defined can do the trick, especially in a video game where he's playing the role of a criminal junkie surrounded by dope and sluts... I don't know how to deal more n more... I'm starting to slip. Any opinions about this and what to do?

M

He couldn't care much less about anything other than his habit. The best move for you right now, is to issue an ultimatim:

"Either he enrolls in an inpatient drug treatment program, or you're leaving/breaking-up with him."

Then, if he doesn't comply, you turn on your heels and leave for good!!!

You get the best possible result on either path.

Feelin Frisky

This guy sounds like he's deeply consumed into the life-style of self-deceit, using other people to get whatever he wants and not even being capable of understanding what he's taking away from you in so many regards. I don't want to just say "leave him". I think you not only need to do that but take a serious look at what co-dependence means and how to recover from it. It can be a multi-headed monster having been in a relationship with an addict who either doesn't care or doesn't realize the damage it does to his S.O. Be well.