Is cocaine dangerous?

Hi

I have been doing some cocaine about every 4 months for about two years. I currently live in Switzerland where the stuff can be accessed easily.

I seriously don't feel addicted to the stuff and only take it when it's offered but would never actually "go look for it".

Does anybody have experience with this?

Am I being to "naive" about it?

Thanks

Yes is it dangerous as all drugs are (to different degrees) & anyone on this site with a bit of common sense would agree with me in that you should stay off the stuff!

cocaine, if you should be so reckless to do too much, can mess up your brain and you could lose heart and breathing functions. not to mention create holes in your face because you screwed up your nose.

some people would say this is an evil and bad drug and you should never do it. some people would say it's a good party drug because it makes you feel cool and powerful and spontaneous. well that is true, too, eh?! I cant say whether occasionally doing this drug could cyclone into a major problem for you. but it could.

I'm no drug expert, nor do I have personal experience with cocaine. I think there's considerable medical evidence about the potential damage that even casual use can cause to your brain.

But I'd like to point out that in my experience, people who use cocaine are often doing so to mask other problems. I went to college in Manhattan, and my friends and I loved to go out clubbing every weekend. There are lots of drugs in New York clubs, but there are also a lot of people who don't need drugs to really get down and lose themselves in dancing. We fell into the latter category (although we'd drink). We noticed that people who used drugs, in particular cocaine, were uptight about dancing unless they were high. They cut loose with cocaine -- deluded by the drug into thinking that they were witty, charming, good dancers. People high on cocaine usually come across as aggressive a##holes who manically talk about themselves.

So I guess what I'm getting at is: why use cocaine? Obviously I don't know what the experience is, but from my limited observations it seems to be used by people who are trying to unwind. They might feel good about themselves while on cocaine but they look like jerks to others. Confidence boosts that one must snort or inhale or otherwise ingest surely aren't the best way to get over insecurity or feeling uptight.

• Author

Hi Midori

You are probably right in certain ways about people who need the stuff to "relax" from whatever bothers them.

Im my case: I am 28 years old and have been brought up in a very strict catholic surrounding. I believed in being a good girl for ever. EG never ever smoked, never got drunk, never smoked Marjiuana etc. I had my first time when I was twenty (not because I'm ugly but just waited for the right guy) and all my relationships so far were just very "perfect" (in a very boring way)!

Then I met this guy 16 months ago and neither of us has ever been so crazy in love. We moved in together right away and just can't stay away from each other without suffering. It's great.

Those few times I did take the stuff was when I was with him and we were so happy already. It just makes things even crazier!

But I do agree, that there must be a certain danger to it and I've decided that it's better to stay off it!

I think you're probably wise in your decision to stay away from cocaine.

Another thing about cocaine is that it obviously creates an artificial manic high. Interesting that you describe your relationship as one of intense feelings, "crazy in love", "suffering" when apart. Is your bf someone who seeks out extremes? Does he need to go to excess in order to feel good? I mean, it's great to be passionately in love with someone, but if even temporary separations cause you pain, can you really say that it is healthy?

Life certainly has intense moments, it has highs and lows. But usually it's more placid -- mundane, if you will, but actually calm does not have to mean boring. People who are unable to maintain a balance are often diagnosed with affective disorders. I'm not saying that your boyfriend must have some kind of clinical problem, but you might want to take a good look at the dynamic between the two of you, the way your relationship is structured, and how cocaine factors into it -- periodically or on a regular basis.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a big believer that it's not the drug, but the PERSON that is to blame for anything negative that happens due to drug use. I enjoy using drugs on a recreational basis because I have more fun and it is a way to escape reality for awhile, just like drinking alcohol I guess. There is nothing wrong with doing it in moderation - IF you're willing to accept responsibility for it. Cocaine is not physically addictive, it is mentally addictive, so it is all a matter of choice. If you have the strength of will to know that it's just a mood enhancer and not the answer to your problems, I say go ahead and try it, you have nothing to lose.

Drugs...are actually kinda fun. But they are also very dangerous. If you are going to use an "illegal substance" make sure you know everything there is too know about it. Not just the side effects, and the usual stuff. But you need to know about what the drug was cut with and what chemicals are in it(check for allergic reactions and such). Also make sure you use it in moderation. :bunny:

• 1 year later...

Yes cocaine is very dangerouse.I did it a few times and I regret it now.It was less than a year ago that I did it last.It is very addicting to.The first time I did it I wanted more and more.I did an all nighter when I first did it.And I went out the very next nite and did it again.I just kept wanting it.Than after a few nights I went out and hunted the guy down that I did it with and we did it again.He always had it and I knew if I went to him he would just give it to me for no charge so it was easy for me to get.He was a friend.At least I thought he was than.I have not touched it in about 7 months or so.I do still think about it and somtimes I do crave for it but do not go out and do it or anything like that.The nights I have like that I just stay in the house and keep myself busey.If I do get around it I know I will end up doing it and I do not want to anymore.I do not want to do it ever again.So The only advice I can give you is,if it is that bad for you look into some kind of drug classes and see if that helps any.

Stay away dude, coke is fun as hell, but stopping hurts like nothing else and it can destroy your life.

I used coke 4 times about 5-6 years ago, and I still can't go a day without thinking about it.

As far as health problems go: heart attacks, brain damage, depression, overdose(this'll kill ya), plus it'll f^ck up your nose.

RecordProducer

The use of drugs can trigger mental illness to develop. In other words someting that wouldn't have developed ever but was a potential danger might be triggered by substances that affect your brain cells.

there is always an inherent risk that your body will not tolerate the substance

the real danger lies with the dependancy issue

many people naively toy with the drug initially, and then something in life changes and it can quickly become a way of life with no way out

it's best to stay away, I wish I had

some things are best never tried

your only doing it every four months? nah, i think youll be ok. i mean, u shouldnt do it just 'cause (drugs will send your life spinning outta control before u even notice) but every four months wont affect u. i mean i know people that shoot up heroin, smoke crack till they throw up and then stay up for weeks doing meth, and these people are old, they've been doing it all all of their lives and i dont see ne signs of ne of them dying ne time soon. unless youre one of those people that just has **** ass luck or your one in a miliion, youll be ok

Oh ya, i forgot to mention that coke was used in almost every drug in the united states for decades, it was put in our most famous soft-drink, and is used in many prescription drugs today.

logan_michelle

i personally don't have any pacience with drugs,

*true stories*

when i was 14 i was at my friends house and he was throwing a party (he was 19, and so were most of the guys there). to make a long and painfull story short he overdosed on more than one type of drug.(but cocaine being one of them) when the cops came to the house to bust the party he tryed to run, causeing him to have a heart attack and die. one of the guys at the party also ran, but got away. the second guy was best friends with the first(one of those all-most-like-brothers things).

three days later,he hung himself in the bathroom of the house he and i were staying in because of our friends death, and guess who found him... me. i lost two best friends within one week due to drugs.

as you can see i don't have very much tolerance with drugs.

about the loosing your nose thing, that is true too... my sister was an advid user of cocaine for about 7 mo.s it was an everyday thing and soon enough she would have constant nosebleeds, runny nose, ext. i went over to her house one afternoon when she was sick and she called me into the bathroom. she had just blown her nose into a tissue and felt a rip. when she looked into the tissue there was more than blood there were chunks of skin. sounds gross huh? she decided to quit, but everytime she would blow her nose, she would get chunks of her nostralls in the tissue. and every morning she would wake up with a bloody nose. both of those going on everyday for 3 mo.s how would you like that..

i'm not saying any of this WILL happen to you, but i'm saying it CAN. i have no tolerance with drugs and everytime i see someone talking about drugs, or doing them, whatever, i try to preach as much as possible.it's a sore spot for me to say the least.

*think about this*

think about loosing your new found lover to an over-dose, or the inside of your nose, to where you wake up every morning with a bloody nose, for 3 mo. the next time you decide to use again.

• 4 weeks later...

Cocaine is wonderful. The best high a chemical has to offer, and then it's countered with it's low and need for more ad infinitum. For years I've absorbed coke to no end, a few grams worth this weekend alone with nothing to show but a lighter wallet.

It is highly addictive not as bad as heroine or nicotine but still it will distroy your life with a blink of an eye. I guess any drug would not be too bad if it wasn't so addictive, the addiction is what kills.

• 4 weeks later...

my personal opinion of cocaine, and most other drugs, is that, like all things in life, it can be ok in moderation. this is obviously not true for all people, some can become more easily "addicted" than others. iv found that the point where you need to seek help is when you're thinking about the drug, or when you're eagerly looking forward to taking it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hugh - the bloody nose is minor. It will throw your heart into cardiac arrythmias, like SVT. If it happens long enough your blood pressure will shoot up and cause you to go into v tach which can cause you to flatline.

And you know the result of that

Ladywithafan

I've snorted it, smoked it and basically it almost ruined my life. It destroys relationships, families, finances and health.

If you happen to be of an addicted nature, this drug will drag you through it. I happen not to be the addict but my partner is. After being together for almost six years with two of those spent in a FL prison (him) on cocaine sales charges due to an undercover buy as well as a couple of paraphenailia charges...you would think I know better than to still be in this relationship. However, I keep hoping for a change and all I'm getting is smoke in my eyes.