Coffee addiction?

Department of Dogma

Department of Dogma

Has anybody tried to quit coffee for good? What were the effects?

It is widely recognized that coffee is mildly addictive and produces withdrawal symptoms, but also plenty of studies suggest inportant health benefits. So that's the main reason (other than the powerful ritual), I drink it. I drink a lot of coffee, and I begin to suspect that it may be doing a lot more harm than good. Starting tomorrow morning I'll quit cold turkey, but I wonder if others can report on quitting and if it made a difference. I peraonslly feel fatigued and drained all the time - in spite of leading healthy life - and I am beginning to suspect that coffee is the reason.

Something for you to watch if you'd like:

At one point, when I was cutting down on coffee, I would make it from home and mix caffeinated with decaf to sort of "step down", if you will. I also added a lot less to the coffee maker. That being said, I do still drink coffee occasionally, I just drink it very weak, generally.

I know that some people get headaches and feel moody when they quit.

Best of luck to you! :)

It is widely recognized that coffee is mildly addictive and produces withdrawal symptoms, but also plenty of studies suggest inportant health benefits. So that's the main reason (other than the powerful ritual), I drink it. I drink a lot of coffee, and I begin to suspect that it may be doing a lot more harm than good. Starting tomorrow morning I'll quit cold turkey, but I wonder if others can report on quitting and if it made a difference. I peraonslly feel fatigued and drained all the time - in spite of leading healthy life - and I am beginning to suspect that coffee is the reason.

Hi DOD,

I was addicted to caffeine, and it is difficult to say what the withdrawl systems were, as I felt like crap most of the time anyway (it's why I turned to caffeine). It started in 2008, I began drinking tea and coffee all day long, till going to bed even. I became severely dehydrated, water retention with major swelling in my angles...see this just doesn't happen to "me".

I was a mess with continual kidney and bladder infections. shortly after giving up the caffeine (I still have one cup of tea in the morning) I got really sick, although it could have been from an infection...who the hell knows, I went to the doctor and he said to give up salt...I was feeling to bad to explain all of the symptoms.

I was going through some sort of detox though as it got worse the more water I drank...

I am getting better and stronger...coffee dehydrates...

Edited by pureinheart

I cut down from total binge drinking (leading to physical discomfort by about 3pm) to one and occasionally two cups a day. I have a huge cup of really strong, high quality espresso in the morning and I appreciate it so much more now that I don't drink three liters of coffee continuously throughout the day.

• Author
Department of Dogma
I cut down from total binge drinking (leading to physical discomfort by about 3pm) to one and occasionally two cups a day. I have a huge cup of really strong, high quality espresso in the morning and I appreciate it so much more now that I don't drink three liters of coffee continuously throughout the day.

Haha, that used to be my amount of consumption.

Anyway, I am now at day one - no coffee, just one cup of tea in the morning. Surprisingly, zero withdrawal symptoms for now - no headaches or sleepiness, just being pretty irritable.

Haha, that used to be my amount of consumption.

Anyway, I am now at day one - no coffee, just one cup of tea in the morning. Surprisingly, zero withdrawal symptoms for now - no headaches or sleepiness, just being pretty irritable.

Yes, I never had physical withdrawal symptoms either, only psychologically induced distraction and irritation... good luck :)

• 1 month later...
While many people minimize the affects of caffeine addictions, physicians are concerned about the health of their patients. It has been proven that large consumptions of caffeine can have ill effects. For the most part, caffeine has a hormonal affect on the body. Upon consumption of coffee or soda products, the body is filled with a sudden rush of adrenaline. This is classified by a burst of energy. Hence, addicts rely on caffeine in the mornings, or while studying late. Unfortunately, this euphoric high is temporary. On average, caffeine highs can last four to six hours. Once there is a balance of hormones, addicts experience a sudden drop in energy level. In turn, they become sluggish or drowsy. Of course, this problem is quickly alleviated with the consumption of more and more caffeine.

Additionally, excessive caffeine is attributed to an increase in the body's level of cortisol. Too much of this hormone can lead to various physical problems and health issues. Among the few include rapid weight gain, irritability, heart disease, and diabetes.

This is very interesting. Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
make me believe
On average, caffeine highs can last four to six hours.

Gosh, I wish my caffeine high lasted four to six hours! lol. I think a moderate amount of coffee is fine. A couple cups in the morning, maybe one in the afternoon? That's about what I drink on days that I have coffee, but whenever I notice that it's been a couple weeks since I had a day without it, I make myself skip a few days. I never experience withdrawal symptoms or anything like that, but at the same time I'd hate to give coffee up completely!!

I had a co-worker who drank a pot of coffee every morning before work and then a pot throughout the morning & early afternoon at work. I thought that was an INSANE amount of coffee!

I had a co-worker who drank a pot of coffee every morning before work and then a pot throughout the morning & early afternoon at work. I thought that was an INSANE amount of coffee!

Yeah, I used to do that for several years... :o

eerie_reverie

Y'all are helping me feel better about my caffeine problem!

I drink 2 big cups every morning. I absolutely cannot think without it.

If I am at all sleep-deficient and I don't have any that day, I develop a killer headache by mid-afternoon.

I don't drink it past the morning, though. Maybe I'll drink some tea, but most of the tea I drink nowadays is decaf.

florence of suburbia

I quit coffee during my first pregnancy years ago and I thought my IQ dropped 40 points. I couldn't wait to get back on it. I most definitely self-medicate with coffee and I'm addicted to it.

The worst side effects are that it makes me deydrated and somewhat "acidic", but other than that it isn't such a bad vice.

• 4 weeks later...

I have tired to cut down on coffe, I went from like 4+ cups per day, down to about 2. I also used to drink Rockstar Energy drinks like they were freaking water. I weined myself down from 2 per day to about 3 a week. The biggest thing I notice is a headache in the morning if I didn't drink a lot of coffee/caffeine drinks the day before. I also yawn like crazy once the caffeine starts to wear off. People look at me like I'm nuts! The withdrawal symptoms have decreased, but quitting cold turkey is very hard. I think weining yourself down is better.

• 3 weeks later...
philhatesyourlove

oh man oh man. I never try to speak of this....

BUT

I was addicted to coffee and.....**** went downhill man. Downhill quick.

I used to bum quarters form people who were leaving starbucks for my next cup.

They tried calling the cops, THE COPS, on me.

oof

FreeheartLover

I forget sometimes that I'm addicted to coffee, caffeine. I don't drink it at home, but I drink every morning at work - 2 cups at least 5 days a week. On my days off, when I don't normally drink coffee, especially in the mornings, I get headaches and irritable by early afternoon, around 2pm.

Once I have big, strong cup of coffee, I feel so much better, almost euphoric.

I can't quit coffee!

LeaningIntoTheMuse

I am definitely addicted to coffee. I need my cup of coffee in the morning, otherwise I can't function. I get headaches and muscle aches.

I find that alternating coffee days with tea days (1/1 or 1/2) keeps me from getting the "caffeine crash" but also keeps me from getting withdrawal symptoms.

LeaningIntoTheMuse

Once again, I've tried to quit coffee, and once again I was unsuccessful. I suppose I should just give in, and realize that I am addicted to the stuff.

I am NOT a morning person, but unfortunately the world is run by cheery morning larks:sick:! Without coffee to get me going, I end up putting clothes in the garbage, not the laundry hamper, leave home w/two different colored socks, forget my lunch,,etc...hate having to get up at 5:30!! Later, I can think clearly, but without coffee in the am, forgetaboutit.. as addictions go, it is a minor one:laugh:

I am definitely addicted to coffee. I need my cup of coffee in the morning, otherwise I can't function. I get headaches and muscle aches.

I'm the same way,morning after I brush my teeth,I have have have to have my black coffee. Its unheard for me of to start the day w/put a cup of java

LeaningIntoTheMuse
I'm the same way,morning after I brush my teeth,I have have have to have my black coffee. Its unheard for me of to start the day w/put a cup of java

But that's not so bad. If you drink it black, you're actually adding benefits to your health, rather than subtracting them.

Now if you added a bunch of cream and sugar to your coffee, you're basically erasing all those benefits.

Just drink plenty of water, and you'll make up all the water that was lost from coffee. Plus you'll have the added benefits. Just don't drink too much coffee (or water!)

• 2 weeks later...

I drink two or three cups of coffee a day. I don't consider it an addiction. It's good for your heart. And your brain too. Prevents dementia.

• 1 month later...
LakesideDream

I quit drinking coffee the same day I quit smoking, 19 months ago. Looking back I think the coffee was harder for me than the cig's.

The trick for me was to count my investment. Everyday without cigs or coffee was another day in the bank. If I went back I'd be wasting all the effort it took to quit.