Mild Addiction.

Hi Everyone.

I have a certain mild addiction that I wish to eliminate from my life. I remember posting about a month ago about how I felt a lack of 'zing' in aspects of daily life including my sex life. While I feel I have resolved that problem for now I have realised it was related to a certain mild addiction I had/have.

It is mild because I have never stepped over the line and let it affect the quality of my life..although it has stalled progress in some aspects from time-to-time. Sadly however, I feel having it tends to make other more quality aspects of life shine with a lesser glow from time to time. It's something to do with it filling a part of me with an intensity that few other things do, so I appreciate other things less. It's almost like I have to forget the instant gratification it can give me before I start appreciating other things again. It's a matter of me going 'cold turkey' with this until the habit drifts away from the front of my mind so in future it takes some effort and personal sacrifice to go back there. Right now it just comes too easy for me, and I just snap and indulge. While I'm willing to accept it will always be there, I have to realise it's a luxury I just have to cut out of my life.

I'm not at a liberty to discuss what it is, because I am a private person who wants to keep it to himself, but I'm making the assumption that any addiction really involves the same patterns in the brain (or is it simply a habit?). I'd like some comments or advice from people who have gone through some form of mild addiction, and whether the way I approach it (as stated above) is the correct way. I know I can't shake it using guilt, reduction, self-talk, logic, or anything else. I feel I just have to accept it as a part of me (a part that comes with many positive parts) and make the decision to just never go back and focus on my positive traits. I just can't have everything.

Any comments?

Oliver

I remember posting about a month ago about how I felt a lack of 'zing' in aspects of daily life including my sex life. While I feel I have resolved that problem for now I have realised it was related to a certain mild addiction I had/have.

I can but only assume.

Your mild addiction is something you are ashamed of obviously. You wish to rid yourself of it. No matter what it is...

To stop an addiction, you need to find out why you need that certain thing. Usually substitution of a low level can bring about a change in an addiction. Slowly work out of the addiction by substiting more and more.

Addictions happen because you have access to that product of the addiction. If you were unable to have access to it, you would not have the addiction. Going "cold turkey" on an addiction is not the way to go. You first have to want to stop this addiction. Realizing it is a problem is the first step to ending the addiction.

Remember, you are "relatively" anonymous here. To the readers you are anonymous. To the administrators, they can only tell what part of a state you live in (Ip Address). No one can get your name, short of someone that works at an internet service provider. In all aspects, you are anonymous.

Addictions of any kind, mild or not, can grow into obsessions and compulsions if not treated or attended to properly.

I wouldn't worry so much about your problem since you have a pretty good head on your shoulders.

For now, go to http://www.google.com and enter the search term "overcoming addictions." Find the site that gives you the information that most applies to you...or enter the specific addiction...and I'm sure you will find a lot of information that will be of help.

Real addictions, and particularly obsessions, may sometimes require medical or psychological intervention. If you are not able to minimize this activity or keep it from getting worse, please seek help if it affects your life in an adverse way.

Good luck!!!