Quitting smoking

crzyblndstar

I have decided I want to quit smoking cigarettes. Here lately, I really just don't like them anymore. I have noticed that after my first cigarette of the day, I start having troubles breathing. Another reason is because they make me lazy. I have a pretty good stamina from working out, but...I notice that when I am at home and my son is outside playing, all I want to do is sit and watch him, instead of getting up and playing.

I have quit before and did it cold turkey. But, it was easy for me because I was pregnant and IMO, it was something I HAD to do, not something I wanted to do.

Have people found it easier to quit cold turkey or slowly start smoking less and less. I am afraid if I don't do it cold turkey, I will never actually stop completely. I dunno, I really just need some advice or support or something. This is gonna be a tough one. I think everytime I think about smoking, I am just gonna go through the list of reasons I shouldn't. That seems to help me not want to. Again, and advice would help and be greatly appreciated.

Oh yea, I really don't want to gain any weight either. I have been working so hard on losing and keeping it off that this is one of my biggest fears. So, if anyone has any advice that would help with this, I would appreciate it as well.

And just for the progress count. I have had 2 today. But, I don't have anymore on me and I am at work all day. So, not planning on having any more.

I have decided I want to quit smoking cigarettes. Here lately, I really just don't like them anymore. I have noticed that after my first cigarette of the day, I start having troubles breathing. Another reason is because they make me lazy. I have a pretty good stamina from working out, but...I notice that when I am at home and my son is outside playing, all I want to do is sit and watch him, instead of getting up and playing.

I have quit before and did it cold turkey. But, it was easy for me because I was pregnant and IMO, it was something I HAD to do, not something I wanted to do.

Have people found it easier to quit cold turkey or slowly start smoking less and less. I am afraid if I don't do it cold turkey, I will never actually stop completely. I dunno, I really just need some advice or support or something. This is gonna be a tough one. I think everytime I think about smoking, I am just gonna go through the list of reasons I shouldn't. That seems to help me not want to. Again, and advice would help and be greatly appreciated.

Oh yea, I really don't want to gain any weight either. I have been working so hard on losing and keeping it off that this is one of my biggest fears. So, if anyone has any advice that would help with this, I would appreciate it as well.

And just for the progress count. I have had 2 today. But, I don't have anymore on me and I am at work all day. So, not planning on having any more.

I think you got to stop cold turkey...otherwise you just make the torture lasts longer.

You will gain some weight, this is normal...but you will eventually lose it quickly if you work out.

I quit August 31, 1993... I put my cigarette out and said to myself, that's it..no more. A few hours earlier I had no idea I would quit forever.

The next morning, with my coffee I really missed my cigarette... I even thought I wouldn't make it... Then I said to myself... I will try it for one day at a time and if gets too hard I'll start again... too bad... (I had tried sooo many times before with no success)...

Anyway, to be honest with you, this was the only craving I had and that was 14 years ago.

I gained about 16 pounds... I hated myself... but I didn't want to diet at the same time... so I started to walk... 3 hours a week at least...then watch my 'portions'... I lost 20 lbs in the next year...

But my whole life changed from then on... I was a rather 'petite' woman, small-medium breasts... when I gained my first 16 lbs, my breasts went from 34C to 38DD...

When I lost 20 lbs... my body lost the weight... but my breasts remained huge... so needless to say... men were looking at me like never before. My first ex became extremely jealous with all the attention I was getting.

From then on, my life has totally changed... for the best... even my hair, my skin tone... everything changed...

My hair got thicker and shinier... my skin tone (from 'gray-olive' to normal)... and healthier...

There are ONLY advantages to quit smoking... Trust me... everything is MUCH MUCH better after...

Plus, with all the campains against smoking... smokers have become a pet peeve for many non smoking people...

Being a health hazard... people look at smokers as if they were from another planet.

I would never ever date a smoker. It has become a pet peeve for me as well... I hate to see people outside in the cold and rain to suck on their cigarette butt... it looks so stupid... anyway...

You can do this... trust me... If I can then anyone can.

Good luck!

• Author
crzyblndstar

Thanks for the advice Lizzie. I really do appreciate it. I agree that I think quitting cold turkey is the best way. I just decided friday that I will finish what I have but I was not going to buy them again.

I need to jsut replace the smoking with something other than food. Which is going to be really really hard, b/c I reallly really like food. :o Anybody have any ideas on that?

Another thing that is going to be super hard, is that my boyfriend smokes. and it is a habit to go outside together to have a cigarette. I guess that is a good thing tho that we dont smoke in the house.

I think I am going to make a list of the reasons I want to quit and look at it everytime I want a cigarette.

curiousnycgirl

I am so with you on this! I just quit and it's hard, but we CAN do it. I did not do it cold turkey, I used Chantix, which is a presription medication. I think it helped a lot - but who knows.

I'm not 10 days completely smoke free, and to tell the truth, it's a struggle. The past 8 days were easy - I was on vacation with my non smoking BF, but now that I am working again, and stressed out - it is HARD.

But what in life that is worth having is easy? At least that's what I keep telling myself. I find myself puffing on my pen a lot - believe it or not, just the action helps.

Good luck to both of us!

• Author
crzyblndstar

Curious-it was probably so easy for you because you were out of your normal environment. Now that you are back at work you are back in a routine and smoking is such a habit and routine. That is the most difficult thing for me, is breaking the habit. I am getting ready to go to lunch and I always go outside and have a smoke and then go workout. Well, today I just have to go straight in and work out.

Did that medicine have any bad side affects on you? I wouldn't mind trying something like that, but I hate taking any sort of medication because of the side affects.

Its 5 hours and counting since I have had one. I know, not a lot of time, but it is more than I am used to, that is for sure. But, Man, I want one sooooo bad.

child_of_isis

Have a glass of water when you feel like having a cig. It will curb the appetite, leave a clean feeling in the mouth, and you will eliminate the nicotine that is in your system quicker. Plus you will develope a good habit to replace the old.

I tried Chantix too and it made me sick as a dog!

I finally quit using the commit lozenges. I sometimes smoked 2 packs a day and was totally addicted. With those lozenges it was no problem at all. I never even got cranky or hungry.

Good luck to you!

curiousnycgirl

Wow everyone is so different. Chantix does have documented possible side affects such as naseau - but I did not suffer from any of them.

The patches and lozenges however were another story. I was allergic to the glue on the patches and the lozenges and gum made me sick to my stomach.

I guess you just need to see what works for you.

5 hours is amazing - be very proud of yourself!!!!!

• Author
crzyblndstar

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I do see that everyone is different tho when they are trying to quit. I think I will try the water thing. I know I need something to take away the hand to mouth habit and I would rather do it with water than with a donut. I do not really want to try the patches b/c I too am allergic to glue like that. I forgot that there are lozenges tho. I thought about trying the gum.

The whole habit is the hardest to kick. I know that I can get over the nicotine fits. I have done it before, but it is the habit that is going to be hard. Knowing that I always go outside and smoke after I eat or after I put my son to bed. That kind of stuff is gonna be hard.

I never realized until lately how much I based my life around smoking. Like not going to a certain restaurant unless it has a smoking section, or doing my homework outside so I could smoke. It even got to the point when there were certain friends I wouldn't hang out with as much because they were not accomodating to my smoking. WTF? I am just over it all.

8 hours and counting. And, I am already having withdrawl symptoms. I don't remember having those before. Maybe it is all in my head. I dunno. All I know is my chest has felt pretty tight all day and the only time it didn't is while I was working out. hmm. Weird.

July 4th will be my one year without smoking. The only way to do it is cold turkey. Change your routine and go out of your way to not smoke. I used to smoke a lot at night, instead I took some tylenol pm to help me go to sleep earlier. The important thing is to break your routine of when you smoke and find new routines. Working out is the best thing you can do, drink lots of water and sweat a lot, it will help purge your body of the nicotine. Never feel bad for making mistakes and having a cigarette, always feel great for making it a day or more without.

Remeber, it only take 72 hours to get over the physical addiction to nicotine. After that it is all mental. You can do it, and once you do you will find lots of other things you can do. Quitting smoking is only the begining.

You can do whatever you put your mind to. I know you can quit, do it for your son and make yourself proud.:)

I tried the patch, but didn’t like the side effects. Like really vivid dreams at night.

So here's what I did... Just an idea that worked for me!!!

What I did was I would only buy cigarettes that I hated the taste of. Like, I love and always smoked light menthols, so I bought only non menthols full strength. After a few drags I would throw it out because it tasted so nasty and was so harsh. This made it easier to quit because when I got the urge to smoke and had those, I didn't enjoy smoking and eventually smoked less and less and was able to soon quit all together.

child_of_isis

Hey, I will tell you that ginko biloba is good for the brain fog if it sets in.

B complex is good for the central nervous system, plus smokers are usually lacking in B.

Valerian is also a good relaxant if you get uptight.

8 hours and counting. And, I am already having withdrawl symptoms. I don't remember having those before. Maybe it is all in my head. I dunno. All I know is my chest has felt pretty tight all day and the only time it didn't is while I was working out. hmm. Weird.

• Author
crzyblndstar

Thank you everyone for all your replies and advice. It has been 1 week today since I haven't touched a cigarette. I am actually doing pretty good. I am not having cravings for them anymore, but I do want one out of habit every once in a while. Like after a big meal. I passed the ultimate test the other day tho. Me and a friend went to a bar and had a couple of drinks and played some pool. Normally I would've smoked about a half a pack, but I didn't even touch one. I was so proud of myself.

I am in a much better mood now too. For about 4 days I was very grumpy and quite snappy too. My poor boyfriend got the blunt end of it all and had to deal with me. I felt kind of bad for him, but I couldn't help myself. It has been a rough week, but I am actually feeling surprisingly good. I thought for sure it would take me a lot longer than this.