Am I slowly destroying someone I love?

greyskies

Sorry if this is like long but its a very serious situation. I have this friend whom is the most wonderful person I know. She is so good to all her friends and those she loves. I never seen this woman do anything bad to anyone. Yet she's always getting shafted by someone. This person isn't no angel by no means. The only thing I know that she does that is not right is use. And she is a daily user. The thing is the girl is afraid to leave her house. She never leaves the front of her computer and she sometimes even sleeps there in her chair.

Listen I know you are all thinking ( drug addict = loser) but listen I'm serious I have known lots of people whom use in my days, I am a recovering addict myself. But this women if she wasn't a user she would be almost the most perfect person I know. I feel bad for her she seems to be rottening there. And I've tried to talk to her but she is so stubborn. She's old and set in her ways I guess. But I love this friend of mine a lot and constantly worry about her. I guess my question is if you have had a friend like this in your life how would you handle it? I tried calling people for help and even asked my peers in recovery to help me help her. But they say she has to want the help before they could help her. Any suggestions? :(

Just as you can't make someone love you, you can't make an addict want help. You have done all you can - you have tried to speak to her and she would not listen. Now the best you can do is put it in God's hands.

I also have a friend like this. She is afraid of having anything real with any man or to trust people and never leaves her house but for work. My friend was severely sexually abused by her father for the first decade of her life, you think of it and she has been there. And she uses drugs too she says for her back but she takes them when she gets upset or angry so I know that is not true. I work with her and have looked past all the eccentricities because I know who she is.

It is true she won't go anywhere unless she wants to. But you can also help her out by just suggesting maybe a support group, inviting her out without the drugs or just let them know you are worried and love them as a person. Sometimes my friend takes a leap into something better with a push. Sometimes the person is just numbing pain and crying out for help hoping to be noticed.

Best of luck and keep us posted....