Is it consent if I dont fight back?

Lotus_Luna

Last night I had too much to drink at a social gathering. My husband decided to take advantage of the situation and I recall saying ‘no I dont consent. I do not want this’ but he kept going...

In hindsight I feel like I failed by not forcing him off... on the other hand, I ahouldnt have to.

Edited by Lotus_Luna

At face value this is rape. But I find it odd that you used the words 'no, I don't consent' with your husband as this isn't everyday language. "Go away, I'm tired" would have been a much more common statement of refusal. My thoughts on this are that you're offering a hypothetical situation.

Edited by basil67
  • Like 5

As long as you say "no" it's technically rape & there is a thing called marital rape. Since this is your husband try talking to him before you call the police.

I agree that "no, I don't consent. I do not want this" sounds like very unusual language to use with one's spouse. Especially when you are drunk. It sound like something a person would say if they are testifying in court. It almost sounds like laying the groundwork. On the other hand, no matter how someone says no, no means no. So if this happened then yes I would consider it rape.

• Author
At face value this is rape. But I find it odd that you used the words 'no, I don't consent' with your husband as this isn't everyday language. "Go away, I'm tired" would have been a much more common statement of refusal. My thoughts on this are that you're offering a hypothetical situation.

Not hypothetical, used those words to make it clear I did not agree or want sex.

CautiouslyOptimistic
It just doesn't ring true. Why such formal language, especially when you're drunk? Where did that come from?

Maybe she's accustomed to being raped by her husband so she's decided to get more "official" with her language?

• Like 1

Yes CO, I'm also now wondering if this is a habitual thing and her wording has been rehearsed for the next time it happens.

• Like 1
Not hypothetical, used those words to make it clear I did not agree or want sex.

Well then, I struggle to understand the problem. You had been drinking (which put you in a vulnerable state, and that was not respected by your husband) and you clearly said no. That’s sexual assault in my book.

Yes CO, I'm also now wondering if this is a habitual thing and her wording has been rehearsed for the next time it happens.

This is a woman who has been planning to leave her husband for a long time. More recently, she ended a relationship with her affair partner.

LL, what does he have to do for you to actually find the courage to leave the marriage? Are you hoping to use this experience as the push to leave the relationship? Or, planning to use the authorities to make the decision for you?

• Like 2
  • Author

The formal language was because this isnt the first time. We had a whole intervention a few months ago about sexual abuse and boundaries.

Clearly the therapist, church and information I gave him had limited impact.

I just feel frustrated at myself for not being more assertive.

I am not contacting authorities or making a big fuss. I just need to continue my plan to get away from all of this and funnel my energy into being independent of him.

^ That's it. That's what you need to do. He has no love for you or respect. So you need to put all your energy into getting away from him. Good luck.

Wallysbears

No means no.

You don't have to say "no, I do not consent" You don't have to fight back. You say NO and that means no.

I'm so sorry.

HOw long until you can get away from him?

The formal language was because this isnt the first time. We had a whole intervention a few months ago about sexual abuse and boundaries.

Clearly the therapist, church and information I gave him had limited impact.

I just feel frustrated at myself for not being more assertive.

I am not contacting authorities or making a big fuss. I just need to continue my plan to get away from all of this and funnel my energy into being independent of him.

Clearly. It’s not your responsibility to be more assertive. Nothing that you did, or did not do, should make it acceptable for him to sexually assault you.

Staying however, in a situation that you know is unsafe, is entirely your responsibility. How much longer until you will be able to leave? What is it that you need to make it possible for you to leave?

bathtub-row

I agree with the others that it wasn’t consensual. I also have to wonder why you would put yourself in a such a vulnerable position while being around a man you already know you can’t trust. While your husband is culpable, you need to stop making yourself a victim. I’m not blaming you, just saying you need to be smarter in your actions.

• Author
Clearly. It’s not your responsibility to be more assertive. Nothing that you did, or did not do, should make it acceptable for him to sexually assault you.

Staying however, in a situation that you know is unsafe, is entirely your responsibility. How much longer until you will be able to leave? What is it that you need to make it possible for you to leave?

I need to have a reliable income. Thusfar I had a setback and its delayed my timeline.

That is my biggest concern. I dont want to go into details but I cannot rely on him to willingly pay childsupport or anything.

• Author
I agree with the others that it wasn’t consensual. I also have to wonder why you would put yourself in a such a vulnerable position while being around a man you already know you can’t trust. While your husband is culpable, you need to stop making yourself a victim. I’m not blaming you, just saying you need to be smarter in your actions.

We had company over and I drank with my friends. I didnt expect it to hit me so hard. I also thought he was going to pass out since it was so late.

We’ve discussed this subject several times and he was attempting to reapect boundaries. Obviously he decided to disregard the advice given to him.

bathtub-row
We had company over and I drank with my friends. I didnt expect it to hit me so hard. I also thought he was going to pass out since it was so late.

We’ve discussed this subject several times and he was attempting to reapect boundaries. Obviously he decided to disregard the advice given to him.

Yeah, I can see how that could happen. Well, I’m thinking that any guy who has sex with a woman who tells him no, doesn’t really grasp the concept of boundaries. All the discussion about respecting boundaries is just a bunch of hot air from him. I hope you lose this guy fast.

I need to have a reliable income. Thusfar I had a setback and its delayed my timeline.

That is my biggest concern. I dont want to go into details but I cannot rely on him to willingly pay childsupport or anything.

I wish you well. I hope things come together for you and you don’t wait too long...