Can abuse rear its head a few years after recovery???

YssaBoo

If someone you care for has a past history of abuse to a family member when they were young,say from 10-15 years old and were in therapy for 10 years,can they fully recover. I recently found out something about someone I really care for and they would beat on their sis and mom because of problems they were experiencing at the time.

This person did well in therapy until they stopped,now it seems they are dealing with it,in the way of coming between a relationship. They are afraid they will abuse the person they are with if the anger flares again. The person was afraid to tell me and they found out that I might know and now they feel more comfortable around me,that I didn't leave them as a friend. I am so confused about this kind of thing happening to someone and how it can effect their relationships.

Help!!

The person in question should go back to a therapist and ask for a 'refresher'. A therapist will be better able to answer these questions if given more of the details of the instances of abuse and the current situation.