difference between rape and sexual abuse??

lettym

ok when i was a little girl my cousin abused me sexually. I don't want to get 2 graphic but he stuck his fingers inside of me and other stuff but it never went farther than sticking his finger inside me. I remember when he did this it hurt. Anyways isnt actual rape when the man actually forces his penis inside you? Was I raped or sexually abused?

I would say you were raped.

I have been raped three times and sexually abused countless times. For me, the sexual abuse was being held down and fondled or grabbed without being held down, but once something was put inside me against my will, than it became rape.

ScarLettIsle

law defines it as something being placed into the vaginal or anal cavity against the recipients will plus the level of violence that is perpetrated on the victim... sexual abuse is a lessor charge men cop to - to avoid being raped in prison!! just my thoughts

Rape is a word used far to much by far to many people. There are different legal definitions depending on your jurisdiction. I'm not a doctor or even knowledgeable on the subject but in my opinion your just retraumatizing yourself by trying to label it rape on your own when thinking about it. If its upsetting you then you should talk to some one in person who you think can help you out and not feel you have to keep it to yourself. To sum up my thoughts the difference between rape and abuse are purily semantic and societal in my opinion and if its a legal definition you want then a lawyer should be able to give you a simple enough definition like the difference between libel and slander

• 1 month later...

Rape, incest, sexual abuse. All the same action. So therefore- same definition. Inter-changeable words/deeds.

Its a violation of ones personal boundary on a very deep level. ANd its the physical violation.

ok when i was a little girl my cousin abused me sexually. I don't want to get 2 graphic but he stuck his fingers inside of me and other stuff but it never went farther than sticking his finger inside me. I remember when he did this it hurt. Anyways isnt actual rape when the man actually forces his penis inside you? Was I raped or sexually abused?

Legally it may be sexual abuse, but not rape. I say "may" because you have to take other factors into account. For instance, how much older than you your cousin was, and whether he forced you into this situation or whether it was childish experimentation.

For instance, I can remember a few of incidents when I was a child where I got involved in "touching" games with a boy. I was aware that it would be something adults would strongly disapprove of/might be horrendously embarrassed about, and so from that perspective it felt "naughty" and somewhat embarrassing... but it didn't seem like a bad thing to do, and it was something I was giggly rather than upset about. That put it it firmly into the category of "a game" for me. At that age, everything involving other children was either a game with someone I liked, or it was a hostile act of bullying from someone I was afraid of/disliked.

But your situation could be something entirely different from that. Only you know whether what happened with your cousin was a game, or whether he was bullying you into something you didn't want to do/didn't agree to. Do you still have contact with your cousin? How much older than you is he?