Can you press charges against someone who molested you as a child..

hoping2heal

hoping2heal

Now that you're an adult? I was molested by a cousin as a young child, and would like to press charges against him as an adult. I'm not looking to sue or get any money. I just want him to have to register as a sex offender, so others will know what he's capable of before he hurts anyone else. It's taken me a long time to have the courage to come forward about this.

Maybe a support agency can help you with this process? It would be good to get appropriate support that can carry you through the whole process. Years ago I did a bit of voluntary work for 'Victims Support'. Essentially, in the UK a worker will usually call and offer support once a crime has been reported. I am sure that something of simular quality will be available to you where you live.

Very brave thing to consider. It would be good to get this person off the streets.

Take care,

Eve xx

There is usually a time frame that you have to report it.

You can always consult with a lawyer or call a police station and ask if it is doable.

Good luck!

Not sure about the time frame issue. People have been convicted of sexual crimes after many years have elapsed. Yeah, a Legal professional would know the more indepth stuff.

Take care,

Eve xx

Many hundreds of adult men have sued the Catholic Church and won millions of dollars in damages for sexual indiscretions of priests when they were young. This has happened in many jurisdictions. I don't recall any of the priests actually going to jail but very often the hurt is greater in the pocketbook. See an attorney. These scum should not get away with stuff like this.

• Author
hoping2heal
Many hundreds of adult men have sued the Catholic Church and won millions of dollars in damages for sexual indiscretions of priests when they were young. This has happened in many jurisdictions. I don't recall any of the priests actually going to jail but very often the hurt is greater in the pocketbook. See an attorney. These scum should not get away with stuff like this.

Ok, I'm not really looking to sue though. I want him to have to register as a sex offender, but I'm not really trying to sue anyone for damages. I guess I'll have to look for the appropriate means of reporting the charges.

amaysngrace

Speak with a prosecutor. From what I understand you can press charges due to the fact that many people forget these things even happened to them at a young age.

If there is a time limitation maybe it would start from the time you recovered your memory? That would make sense to me.

Was your cousin an adult? Because if he was a child too the whole thing will be looked at differently.

Speak to someone who can give you answers.

If you're in Canada.. there is no time frame.. you can press charges even 30 years later.. the only thing though.. he had to be an adult at the time of the sexual abuse.. if he was a minor.. then it wouldn't count..

So I presume this man is much older now.. but yes, you can still press charges.. just go to the police...

• Author
hoping2heal
Speak with a prosecutor. From what I understand you can press charges due to the fact that many people forget these things even happened to them at a young age.

If there is a time limitation maybe it would start from the time you recovered your memory? That would make sense to me.

Was your cousin an adult? Because if he was a child too the whole thing will be looked at differently.

Speak to someone who can give you answers.

He was a minor at the time, but much older. Um I'm gonna say I was 5/6ish him being 12/13ish.

amaysngrace

I'm not sure what the laws are on that. Chances are someone acted inappropriately with him too. That's where a boy his age gets the knowledge. From others.

Being molested is a hard thing to handle. Is this the only way in which you were hoping to get better...by pressing charges?

He was a minor at the time, but much older. Um I'm gonna say I was 5/6ish him being 12/13ish.

Have you seen this person recently?

Take care,

Eve xx

You'reasian
Now that you're an adult? I was molested by a cousin as a young child, and would like to press charges against him as an adult. I'm not looking to sue or get any money. I just want him to have to register as a sex offender, so others will know what he's capable of before he hurts anyone else. It's taken me a long time to have the courage to come forward about this.

You should def. confront him about it now that you are older.

As far as pressing charges, it would depend on how much time has lapsed since the event - check with your lawyer.

PS - In your previous posts, you suggest you are a compulsive liar....

its not going to work in your favor.

He was a minor too.. so there is no way you can press charges.. it won't stand in court... you were both children..