LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

Why different Mod and User Names?

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2019, 6:39 PM   #1
Established Member

Why different Mod and User Names?

I don't do a lot of posting on other forums so maybe this is the norm and I'm simply unaware.

But William/Carhill's announcement got me thinking - why do Mods post under a different Username? Why not the same name and known identity for both?

Not trying to peek behind the curtain and if the answer to this is somehow proprietary feel free to delete. Thanks...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 6:42 PM   #2
Established Member

Related question: Are moderator-poster dual individuals disciplined, when their own posts violate certain guidelines?

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 29th January 2019 at 7:22 PM.. Reason: Redact quote of prior post
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 7:20 PM   #3
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Can't speak for the other moderators but my member account has 16 14 infractions (a few by myself and one by Victoria, the rest by Tony) and was moderated (posting privileges curtailed) at least twice by Tony and once by myself. Paul decided that moderators would have separate accounts from their member accounts. Next time he's around ask him why. I have no idea.

We've had this discussion a number of times over the decades and I recall getting it from Tony when mentioning his Tony_T account (his alter) back when I first joined. The custom was to keep moderation and member accounts discrete and separate.

I'm the last of the real name moderators and will be out of here at the end of the month and the majority here are completely anonymous AFAIK. Given what I've dealt with regarding doxxing I'd say that's a good thing. It's an evil world out there.

I wouldn't expect any answers from the other moderators but perhaps I'll be surprised. Thanks for the questions!

Last edited by William; 29th January 2019 at 7:31 PM.. Reason: Reviewed account
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 7:36 PM   #4
Established Member

William: I was trying to reply to your message when you gave me the most recent infraction, but you no longer accepted reply message?
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 7:39 PM   #5
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

I shut off my PM's in advance of leaving. About all I'm doing now is spam and helping with the quoting reports. The other moderators are now your point of contact for member relations and policy discussions/comments/questions. Robert is the oldest. Feel free to PM them or use the 'alert us' link on this or any post/PM. Thanks!
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 8:24 PM   #6
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

I know in my case my alter was around about 8 years before I started moderating, they should be separate as they have different uses on LoveShack and are not to be considered the same.

While William has been doxxed I have been stalked and contacted on FB; a personal account by a poster or 2 from here and asked to do forum business and they were promptly shut down and blocked as my moderation here has nothing to do with my life at home with my family and are not interchangeable.

I do have a handful of friends made on LoveShack that I am friends with IRL and on FB so I have commingled on occasion but those instances the people were basically vetted first before adding them to FB.

I think all the mods here do a fine job of keeping their alters separate from their mod accounts.

You know the rule, you can't please all the people so there will always be people who don't like the setup here, oh well...
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 9:10 PM   #7
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneL View Post
Related question: Are moderator-poster dual individuals disciplined, when their own posts violate certain guidelines?
Yes, I have handled a number of alerts on posts made by mods using their alternate accounts and they are handled the same as any other alert. We're also pretty good about soliciting a second opinion if we feel we may have overstepped. In effect alerting on ourselves.

All the mods originally found LS just like most of you did, when they were looking for advice on some situation in their lives.

In addition to protecting our anonymity, I would guess that Paul decided the usernames would be separate so that mods would still have the ability to use Loveshack for it's intended purpose yet maintain their privacy as a moderator. That way any advice given to them or any they handed out would not be at risk of being biased in some form or another.
Tristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 11:29 PM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristian View Post
In addition to protecting our anonymity, I would guess that Paul decided the usernames would be separate so that mods would still have the ability to use Loveshack for it's intended purpose yet maintain their privacy as a moderator. That way any advice given to them or any they handed out would not be at risk of being biased in some form or another.
Understood, makes sense. Thanks for the info and explanation...

Mr. Lucky
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote