LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

Mid-post ads

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2019, 3:35 AM   #1
Established Member

Mid-post ads

I've started noticing these today. Previously ads were in between posts in a thread, which was fine. But today they started appearing in the middle of posts, between paragraphs. REALLY freaking annoying, and makes the posts very hard to read! can this be un-done since it quite definitely detracts from the forum's usability?
Old 22nd January 2019, 9:20 AM   #2
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

I have been using AdBlock Plus for over a year with great results and no issues on LS, which we all know can be buggy on it's own.

With the removal of the subscription system this is the only option currently available for ad removal.
Tristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 9:34 AM   #3
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristian View Post
I have been using AdBlock Plus for over a year with great results and no issues on LS, which we all know can be buggy on it's own.

With the removal of the subscription system this is the only option currently available for ad removal.
Ditto! No ads with AdBlock Plus.
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 1:45 PM   #4
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

I just checked the ad matrix logged out with no ad blocker and they appear to be well-behaved though, yeah, a bit intrusive.

Since Paul shut off the subscription/donation system, the ads are the only revenue source to keep the forum going. Moving to Google cut costs a bit but still it's a tough slog to keep the forum in the black.

I'd prefer that members had a choice other than running ad blocking software but it is what it is. Ad Blocker+ has consistently worked well with the browsers that I use so I'll join that recommendation. Paul evidently hasn't gone to ad-blocker detection software like some other sites have. I hope that remains so members can have a clean and unencumbered by ads forum experience if they so choose.

Please report any ad problems you may encounter. We've had those in the past. Thanks!
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2019, 1:00 PM   #5
Established Member

Thanks for the tips. I prefer not to run ad-blocking software since as you say, ads are the forum's only revenue stream, and also I generally prefer to see web sites without some other software mucking around with them. I'm not at all bothered by ads at the top, bottom, side, or in between posts.

Presumably the ad placement changed to make more people click on them, but it's probably going to have the opposite effect. By placing ads mid-post I think many more people will install ad blockers, leading to fewer click-throughs.
PegNosePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2019, 1:20 PM   #6
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

One thing Paul brought up to us was concerning Google's TOS when he moved the forum to their host, with language and sexual content being at the forefront for moderation to monitor. However, I'll bet there are other aspects, with Google controlling ad placement and content among them. It's entirely possible (I never asked) that Google controls where the ads are placed and what content they include. If I had to put money on it, my bet is Google controls the whole thing as part of the deal on hosting pricing. The forum was stable on Softlayer so IMO the only reason to move it was money. Google was a better deal. The forum is back over a million unique visits a month now so ad money no doubt is helping out and keeping the resource free for users.
William is offline   Reply With Quote