LoveShack.org Community Forums

LoveShack.org Community Forums (https://www.loveshack.org/forums/)
-   LoveShack.org Questions and Comments (https://www.loveshack.org/forums/general/loveshack-org-questions-comments/)
-   -   Why are we not allowed to discuss our views on feminism? (https://www.loveshack.org/forums/general/loveshack-org-questions-comments/673162-why-we-not-allowed-discuss-our-views-feminism)

fromheart 31st December 2018 2:06 PM

Why are we not allowed to discuss our views on feminism?

So I'd like to hear from the people that feel we are not allowed to share what we think of feminism.

For example, discussions on feminism are usually closed quickly on this forum, and those that do not feel feminism is contributing to sexual equality, are given a warning.

Surely, isn't editing peoples right to debate and share insights a violation of free speech?

Garcon1986 31st December 2018 2:09 PM

To discuss that sort of thing you have to go to a forum where that debate is the primary topic of debate. The admins here feel certain social groups get picked on here - so they shut down these debates. I also learned that there is no free speech on an internet forum, only what the admins allow to be said.

fromheart 31st December 2018 2:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcon1986 (Post 7702657)
To discuss that sort of thing you have to go to a forum where that debate is the primary topic of debate. The admins here feel certain social groups get picked on here - so they shut down these debates. I also learned that there is no free speech on an internet forum, only what the admins allow to be said.

So though most people here are from the States, the laws of free speech become exempt because its an online discussion?

And if we were to have a discussion without picking on anyone, would you feel that discussing the pros and cons of feminism would be ok, or do you feel this isn't debatable?

Geraltt 31st December 2018 2:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcon1986 (Post 7702657)
there is no free speech on an internet forum, only what the admins allow to be said.

The owners and admins aren't bound by free speech provisions. That only applies to government's ability - or, rather, inability - to quash speech it doesn't like.

The owners of this site, and every other private site, are free to allow or disallow whatever they see fit.

Try going over to Brietbart and say something about trump not releasing his tax returns and watch how fast you get banned.

Garcon1986 31st December 2018 2:16 PM

Yep here the rules are the same as if you went into somebody's store - you abide by the rules of the owners of the store. You'll have to carry your debate on feminism elsewhere.

thefooloftheyear 31st December 2018 2:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fromheart (Post 7702655)
So I'd like to hear from the people that feel we are not allowed to share what we think of feminism.

For example, discussions on feminism are usually closed quickly on this forum, and those that do not feel feminism is contributing to sexual equality, are given a warning.

Surely, isn't editing peoples right to debate and share insights a violation of free speech?

It just turns into a shytshow of whining guys that think its the reason they cant get laid, and women disputing it...

Do you really need to see/read that??

TFY

fromheart 31st December 2018 2:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefooloftheyear (Post 7702666)
It just turns into a shytshow of whining guys that think its the reason they cant get laid, and women disputing it...

But surely, you saying this is picking on a social group of people? I thought that the reason we can't discuss feminism was picking on a social group of people.

Garcon1986 31st December 2018 2:19 PM

The owners have determined that feminism debates are considered singling out a certain population so that's why they are deleted. I found an interesting alternative - reading the questions and answers posted on Quora have satisfied my urge to debate Trump supporters. They are very educational and have given me insight into lots of psychology, for dirt cheap.

fromheart 31st December 2018 2:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcon1986 (Post 7702665)
Yep here the rules are the same as if you went into somebody's store - you abide by the rules of the owners of the store. You'll have to carry your debate on feminism elsewhere.

What if the store was based in the States, do you feel that the store is exempt from the laws of the States?

Wouldn't this be a form of dictatorship?

fromheart 31st December 2018 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcon1986 (Post 7702671)
The owners have determined that feminism debates are considered singling out a certain population so that's why they are deleted. I found an interesting alternative - reading the questions and answers posted on Quora have satisfied my urge to debate Trump supporters. They are very educational and have given me insight into lots of psychology, for dirt cheap.

But if you feel that certain groups shouldn't be picked on, why didn't you pick up on the comment on this thread that was indiscriminately discriminating men?

I haven't made any negative comments about any gender or social group on this thread. Yet within 15 minutes, my gender and views have been subjected to an insulting manner. Based on your earlier argument, do you think that this is ok?

Garcon1986 31st December 2018 2:28 PM

Well I think neither of us discriminated against each other.

However, these threads have a tendency to go that way - hence admins don't like it, hence admins close those threads. I've started reading elsewhere for my charged debates, and it's been very helpful. For example, Robert doesn't want me singling out Trump supporters here - so I went to Quora to read about the debate over there; it was very educational.

fromheart 31st December 2018 2:32 PM

I'm referring to the comment made by thefooloftheyear. This was discriminating against men. Im asking why you haven't picked up on it. Would you have picked up on it, if I as a man had said that about a woman?

And a note to the moderators, before you close the thread and give me another warning, I would like to enter into a respectful debate about the subject with you.

Kitty Tantrum 31st December 2018 2:42 PM

In a lot of ways, discussions about feminism are like a weird intersection of religious/political discussion and they don't seem to go over very well in the sense that they're not very constructive/productive. People on both sides end up trying to dominate the conversation and "smack down" the other.

I'm no fan of feminism, but I'm also not a fan of online discussions regarding such for this reason. Even folks who I can tell share (at least a lot of) my own views will end up arguing with me because they want to be "more right" than everyone else.

In addition to the whining others have mentioned, there's a lot of basically masturbatory arguing. I can't blame any moderator anywhere for not wanting to police those conversations.

Regarding free speech: freedom of speech simply means, basically, that you can't be arrested or fined for holding or expressing any particular views. It doesn't mean you can't be asked to leave private property, or banned from a forum.

You can pretty much say WHATever you want, but not necessarily WHEREver you want.

d0nnivain 31st December 2018 2:44 PM

This is a forum about love, relationships & broken hearts. If you reframe the Q to how feminism has impacted your dating life, maybe the thread will stay open. You have previously stated that you won't date a feminist. OK. Don't date one. What is there to debate? That is your choice but it doesn't invalidate my choice to be a feminist. It just means you & I should not date.

YMMV, but generally in my experience on this forum any topic not about direct human interaction -- things more of a philosophical general debate -- are monitored closely because they are outside the scope & purpose for which the board was created. This is somebody else's private sandbox, so they can regulate the content without violating your right to free speech. The site owner & the board mods are not the US government; even then content neutral time place & manner restrictions are allowed.

thefooloftheyear 31st December 2018 2:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fromheart (Post 7702685)
I'm referring to the comment made by thefooloftheyear. This was discriminating against men. Im asking why you haven't picked up on it. Would you have picked up on it, if I as a man had said that about a woman?

And a note to the moderators, before you close the thread and give me another warning, I would like to enter into a respectful debate about the subject with you.

Its not discriminating against men....Just a simple observation..

You asked a question, and I gave you an answer based on what I have seen during my time reading various threads...

Its just usually follows the same script...

TFY