LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

blocking people?

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th December 2018, 9:09 AM   #1
Established Member

blocking people?

not too many, but just one a month, say, when you know you cannot stand them... could this be allowed?
darkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 9:50 AM   #2
Established Member

Absolutely you can block.
stillafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 10:20 AM   #3
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Using the "Ignore List" aka blocking another member
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 10:22 AM   #4
Established Member

Yes, you can block someone, you shouldn't be expected to tolerate anything.
AmyHershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 10:33 AM   #5
Established Member

There are also browser hacks to globally block text chains in database fields which is what a forum is. It depends on the browser, forum and one's comfort with installing and using hacks. Think of it as an enhancement to an ignore list. One downside, or maybe not such a downside, is often other posts will be blocked as well if they quote the blocked textchain and it appears in the field. LoveShack's ignore list doesn't do that. Blocked member's posts will still be seen if quoted.
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 12:45 PM   #6
Established Member

The fatal flaw on this format to blocking people is that while you can't see those people's posts after blocking them, those people can still see and comment on yours, leaving you defenseless.
Old 5th December 2018, 12:55 PM   #7
Established Member

If one wants to see blocking at its pinnacle, join any echo chamber. It's easy to determine who's blocking who.

It bears repeating that blocking someone doesn't prevent them from forming public and private missives, but one won't ever see them. The private ones disappear into Paul's private entertainment locker
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 9:06 PM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preraph View Post
The fatal flaw on this format to blocking people is that while you can't see those people's posts after blocking them, those people can still see and comment on yours, leaving you defenseless.

Also OTHER people an be messy and copy and paste what the blocked person said . This was a HUGE issue when I was here before. These types often have minions who they send like mean girls at a school quite sad
siren8272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 9:33 PM   #9
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siren8272 View Post
Also OTHER people an be messy and copy and paste what the blocked person said . This was a HUGE issue when I was here before. These types often have minions who they send like mean girls at a school quite sad
Yes, that's the other problem. Oh, well.
preraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 9:41 PM   #10
Established Member

I really think for the most part, LS is a pleasant place. Thing is people come here for opinions and then some just don't like what they get.

I have only blocked maybe a handful of people on here, and none this year. I block mostly if they are frequent but boring or hard to read. The first one I blocked, it wasn't because of any disagreement, just the person was oppositional no matter what you wrote. But it didn't seem personal.

I block like crazy on Twitter. I get tired of political propaganda on both sides, so unless I just like someone for some other reason like pets or whatever, I'll block the ones that that's all they can talk about. Either side. But like I added a guy who opposes most of my views but talks intelligently about it and tries to have civilized debates with people, just to stay up on the opposing viewpoint.

It's funny. I had a person on there from a decade ago, one of my first people on there and she was just fine until the political climate changed. Then all of a sudden, it was just all bile. I hated to block her, but I did. Or maybe just unfollowed, can't remember.
preraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 3:32 AM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preraph View Post
Yes, that's the other problem. Oh, well.

There should be a rule....
siren8272 is offline   Reply With Quote