LoveShack.org Community Forums

LoveShack.org Community Forums (https://www.loveshack.org/forums/)
-   LoveShack.org Questions and Comments (https://www.loveshack.org/forums/general/loveshack-org-questions-comments/)
-   -   The LoveShack "Like" feature - pros/cons and opinion (https://www.loveshack.org/forums/general/loveshack-org-questions-comments/658195-loveshack-like-feature-pros-cons-opinion)

William 11th June 2018 8:53 AM

The LoveShack "Like" feature - pros/cons and opinion

<Moderation note: Posts moved to specific discussion of LoveShack 'like' system>
<Poll closed>

<Link to 2019 Like System discussion/questions>

I was reading back to determine when the Like and Share features were added and I believe I found the inception date, sometime in February 2012. Here's a discussion which occurred then.

https://www.loveshack.org/forums/gen...7-new-features

They were added during a software upgrade which occurred after a period where Paul froze e-mail confirmations to stop the spammers and no one could register to join or update their e-mail or password. That was a really dark time just before Paul added myself and Stephanie as moderators.

From a revenue standpoint, my understanding is the more activity a discussion gets, with likes and shares as part of it, the more it gains points with the search engine robots and lifts its rankings in search hits. If true, then it would be in Paul's interest financially to continue the Like system. What's unknown to me is, even though we're not seeing a listing of who likes a post being rendered, is the act of doing so functioning in the same manner for purposes of the revenue/ranking aspect? They are being registered in each member's account. Has the change discouraged members from liking posts?

It appears, of all changes since the site outage, the Like system change is the most discussed so I'll continue to note that whenever in contact with Paul. He obviously knows the importance of the subscription system since that puts money in his pocket but we'll keep him informed on other aspects members are interested in.

See also this thread:
What Can Be Done To Bring Traffic Back To The Site?

littleblackheart 11th June 2018 9:39 AM

I may be reading this completely the wrong way but with the system as it is, the 'recognition' is not made public so those popular posts don't get the 'glory' of being visibly recognised so it's possible (in theory) that it would discourage posters.

I didn't realise the Like system was an important factor in terms of revenue or ranking so in that sense, I see why it exists. Would the choice be extended to a 'thank you' option with the software update? I could see myself using a 'thank you' feature more often than the current 'like' option.

William 11th June 2018 10:00 AM

I'd have to put the 'glory' part to the members. My alter has a really high post and like count and I rarely even notice it since I log into that account rarely. I personally post to offer opinion and to help people and reputation matters little to me. For others, it varies. If the dominant feeling is similar to the popularity across social media platforms, I'd opine my view to be in the minority. Popularity in the electron world appears to be important, even when money isn't involved.

Paul added certain features at the same time many years ago (2012 most recently) ostensibly from his writings to facilitate greater interaction and member convenience. It follows that the more people like the site, the more they will visit and share it and those hundreds of 'visitors' members see if looking at our front page, many of them robots, disseminate the site far and wide and add to his revenues, even though he's stated that ad revenues have been a shortfall lately and he's been adding hundreds of dollars a month to keep the site going, hence the site outage this thread resulted from when he could no longer do that. My opinion is the features, the Like system among them, add to site popularity and revenues for the site. If correct, and it appears that member feedback is supporting that, that's an impetus for Paul to bring the full Like system back.

Regarding the 'Thank you' system, I've seen that on other forums I participate in or moderate and how it renders is in a field at the bottom of the post box where it says 'The following xxx users say Thank You to member xxx for this post:xxxxxxx" with a compressed but complete list of members. It differs from Paul's rendering in that the list is full, not xxxx plus xxx others, rather has a full list of members with links to their profiles. On one forum, those lists can get into the dozens of members and the field grows to contain them, almost becoming another posting to scroll past. In our forum profile, the thank yous show as 'reputation'.

We don't yet know which software system Paul is selecting to replace vBulletin but we'll definitely be sure to reiterate the member preference for some sort of a visible Like or Thank You system.

littleblackheart 11th June 2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William (Post 7578866)
I'd have to put the 'glory' part to the members. My alter has a really high post and like count and I rarely even notice it since I log into that account rarely. I personally post to offer opinion and to help people and reputation matters little to me. For others, it varies. If the dominant feeling is similar to the popularity across social media platforms, I'd opine my view to be in the minority. Popularity in the electron world appears to be important, even when money isn't involved.

Paul added certain features at the same time many years ago (2012 most recently) ostensibly from his writings to facilitate greater interaction and member convenience. It follows that the more people like the site, the more they will visit and share it and those hundreds of 'visitors' members see if looking at our front page, many of them robots, disseminate the site far and wide and add to his revenues, even though he's stated that ad revenues have been a shortfall lately and he's been adding hundreds of dollars a month to keep the site going, hence the site outage this thread resulted from when he could no longer do that. My opinion is the features, the Like system among them, add to site popularity and revenues for the site. If correct, and it appears that member feedback is supporting that, that's an impetus for Paul to bring the full Like system back. <snip>

This is one instance when a 'thank you' option would have been handy!

If it helps improve traffic, of course it makes sense to have the feature. From a seasonal poster's point of view, the number of 'likes' on a post doesn't personally influence or affect how I read or reply to a post but I guess it may give a better sense of community for those posters who post regularly.

CautiouslyOptimistic 11th June 2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleblackheart (Post 7578877)
This is one instance when a 'thank you' option would have been handy!

If it helps improve traffic, of course it makes sense to have the feature. From a seasonal poster's point of view, the number of 'likes' on a post doesn't personally influence or affect how I read or reply to a post but I guess it may give a better sense of community for those posters who post regularly.

With visible likes, I can determine whether or not I want to spend the time reading a long post sometimes. If I see that someone with whom I usually agree/relate well to has already "liked" it, I'd be more likely to not skip a very long post from someone whose name I don't recognize.

littleblackheart 11th June 2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CautiouslyOptimistic (Post 7578884)
With visible likes, I can determine whether or not I want to spend the time reading a long post sometimes. If I see that someone with whom I usually agree/relate well to has already "liked" it, I'd be more likely to not skip a very long post from someone whose name I don't recognize.

That makes sense. I personally tend to read posts rather than individual posters. I'm conscious that we here are not the sum of all our posts and I've made plenty of mistakes in real life assuming popularity also meant good judgement. I know better now!

William 11th June 2018 11:02 AM

If I remember the previous rendering, there were I believe four members named in order of liking the post (first timestamp listed first) and, if more likes than that, 'and xxx others' with a link to the entire list.

Prefer it with the truncated list or a complete published list for each post?

JuneL 11th June 2018 11:08 AM

Everyone knows getting more like’s means a post is more popular. It’s like when a teacher is getting a higher evaluation rating, a physician is higher a high review score, it doesn’t necessarily mean the quality is better; plus people have different preferences. If one genuinely wants to thank a teacher or a physician, s/he can easily write them a thank you note; by the same token, posters here have quoted helpful advice and given their heartfelt gratitude.

JuneL 11th June 2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William (Post 7578897)
If I remember the previous rendering, there were I believe four members named in order of liking the post (first timestamp listed first) and, if more likes than that, 'and xxx others' with a link to the entire list.

I prefer the whole list.

----------------

Ideally it would be even more interactive if there is a “dislike” button, though I understand why this can be very controversial.

<end of moved posts>

salparadise 11th June 2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William (Post 7578897)

I think the truncated list was fine. I'd often click to see the full list, but I don't think it needs to take up screen real estate to be effective. More often it's the number of likes that validate a post, and that was visible without clicking.

I think people are not "Liking" nearly often now because it's not visible. For me personally, it is motivational. Not that my world turns around likes, but it serves as a little pat on the back for a job well done, and affirms that the time and effort you're investing is appreciated, especially when likes are received from respected members. IOW, it's easy to think, eh, it's a small thing... but I actually think it's more valuable than we previously realized.

littleblackheart 11th June 2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuneL (Post 7578899)
Everyone knows getting more like’s means a post is more popular. It’s like when a teacher is getting a higher evaluation rating, a physician is higher a high review score, it doesn’t necessarily mean the quality is better; plus people have different preferences. If one genuinely wants to thank a teacher or a physician, s/he can easily write them a thank you note; by the same token, posters here have quoted helpful advice and given their heartfelt gratitude.

I get what you are saying except here we give personal opinions. By essence, they are subjective. A physicist or a teacher is not rated on their personal opinion!

Anyway, I can see that most people favour that system, and it brings traffic to the site which I guess is the main thing. Also, there's nothing wrong with wanting that sort of validation. It's not a bad thing at all.

Shanex 11th June 2018 11:50 AM

LS is a big, busy place and I cannot read every threads. Threads that appeal to me are 1. The title and 2. The poster who started it. If it’s a well known regular member I usually like, I will read it.

The poster who mentioned before that the most liked post in a thread are those I bother to read (meaning they are very long) is on the money.

I know it sounds a bit pretentious or narrow minded to only read the big and popular posts but it seems to be true and that doesn’t mean every rookie is uninteresting either. Human nature I guess.

So I voted keep the likes the way they were before the crash.

Art_Critic 11th June 2018 11:55 AM

While I liked the system before I think the likes now mean more...

Today, they liked it knowing it can't be readily seen on that post, to me that means more than quantity.

alphamale 11th June 2018 12:53 PM

The Like functionality is sort of lame in my opinion.

littleblackheart 11th June 2018 1:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art_Critic (Post 7578926)
Today, they liked it knowing it can't be readily seen on that post, to me that means more than quantity.

I'd personally prefer no like at all so all posts get received in a fairer way (and it is in keeping with the spirit of the site imo, which is that all experiences and opinions matter equally - at least that's how I've come to see the site) but I agree with this.