LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

The LoveShack "Like" feature - pros/cons and opinion

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the LoveShack "Like" sytem?
Keep it as it was before, fully visible showing truncated list of members liking posts 62 72.09%
It's fine as it is now, with only private notifications and thread like totals 11 12.79%
I'd like the system showing a visible list of all members liking a post 7 8.14%
Do away with the like system. We don't need it here. 5 5.81%
Other/Add to comments 1 1.16%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th January 2019, 1:27 PM   #106
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Thank you for the report. We've noted a number of problems for our mobile users and unfortunately until Paul returns and gets the new software up we're going to have to live with them.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 2:44 PM   #107
Established Member

Quit hiding the "likes"

Why are "likes" now hidden from public view? I think it's a mistake that they did that for a multitude of reasons, but here's one reason why: When I "like" somebody's post, it changes to "unlike" which is the only way I can remember if I gave that person a "like."

However, if I post in that thread, for some glitchy reason the "unlike" changes back to "like." I then think to myself, "self, I thought you "liked" that post from that person already." Then I get deeper... "self, you're becoming very forgetful in your middle aged, uggghh, what is happening to my brain," then I click "like" again, but it does not even change to "unlike."

Agitation now rears it's ugly head. "Am I connected to the internet, I wonder?" I open another website to confirm I sure am. Then I click the "like" again and it changes to "unlike." Then I realize, "hey, I HAD already liked that post, it was just not showing me that I had. Therefore, when I clicked "like" again, it actually "unliked" the post.

After all of this silently curse out whoever made this decision.
Highndry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 2:46 PM   #108
Established Member

This wasn't done on purpose. AFAIK something broke, and there is no incentive for anyone to fix it. Unless you have the proficiency and feel like volunteering your services, anyway.
Old 7th February 2019, 3:01 PM   #109
Established Member

It doesn't matter to me. You still see who likes your posts.
stillafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 3:33 PM   #110
Established Member

The broken "like" system is but one symptom of a greater problem. This place is running on automatic with no ongoing maintenance, updates, etc, and little to no feedback or contact from the site owner and administrator. Yes, the last site outage was corrected after more than a month had gone by, and the broken "like" system was patched to some degree but clearly there are still issues.

One long term moderator just posted about his departure for just that reason. His parting words on a thread that you can search on were to the effect of "why put my hard work and time into a place where the owner doesn't care". My guess is that sooner or later this place is going to shut down just like it did before, probably for the last time.
Normm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 4:09 PM   #111
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normm View Post
One long term moderator just posted about his departure for just that reason. His parting words on a thread that you can search on were to the effect of "why put my hard work and time into a place where the owner doesn't care". My guess is that sooner or later this place is going to shut down just like it did before, probably for the last time.
I saw William post a response in the comments section today. Maybe he has changed his mind
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 4:14 PM   #112
Established Member

He's Baaaaaaak....
Old 7th February 2019, 4:36 PM   #113
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normm View Post
He's Baaaaaaak....
It has to be some other William; I haven't been moderated all week.
GorillaTheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 4:48 PM   #114
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaTheater View Post
It has to be some other William; I haven't been moderated all week.

I've got a half dozen red flags on my account and not one of them is from William. Which makes him my favorite moderator.
Old 7th February 2019, 9:06 PM   #115
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

I volunteered to process spam and help clean up quotes and take care of our hydras. That frees the other moderators up to handle policy which they'll set as they see fit. I'm out of that now. At the end of February I'll review and if I find they're not overworked, then onward. At some future date another member may take over my moderator account, presuming Paul doesn't return. I'll leave that up to the current crew to decide.

Paul's been gone almost two months now. I doubt the new web site will be done and the like system will remain as it is forever or until the site goes offline. Sorry about that. In my opinion we gave it our best shot. No regrets. Take care.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2019, 3:37 PM   #116
Established Member

My like button isn't working

When I try to like a post, it shows as set to like but then when I come back to the page later the like is gone.
Twisted Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2019, 7:27 PM   #117
Established Member

It's been dysfunctional for a while. Not just you.
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2019, 7:05 AM   #118
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

The issue is discussed at length in this thread, but short answer is that your likes are still going through although they are not displayed on the post and the like button resets.

Also, "liking" a post that you have already given a like to will remove the like from that post.
Tristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2019, 9:09 AM   #119
5x5
Established Member

^^^

Which is bound to happen, when one is unsure if they have liked a post or not. Since there is no way to tell if you liked it or didn't, if one revisits a discussion.
5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2019, 7:24 PM   #120
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Likes both given and received will still show in your profile although it is very inconvenient to go and check .

Unfortunately I do not expect a fix any time soon.
Tristian is offline   Reply With Quote