LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

The LoveShack "Like" feature - pros/cons and opinion

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the LoveShack "Like" sytem?
Keep it as it was before, fully visible showing truncated list of members liking posts 59 71.08%
It's fine as it is now, with only private notifications and thread like totals 11 13.25%
I'd like the system showing a visible list of all members liking a post 7 8.43%
Do away with the like system. We don't need it here. 5 6.02%
Other/Add to comments 1 1.20%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th October 2018, 7:44 AM   #91
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I find myself often going over old threads and re-liking posts that struck me the first time around and I'm not sure what this does at the back end? I've obviously forgotten I liked it once before ... so re-liking it does what?

re-liking a post you had given a like previously will unlike the post.

When first clicking "like" it will change to "unlike" but due to the glitch, once the page refreshes the link will revert back to saying "like" although it will have the opposite function. Very confusing
Tristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 5:12 PM   #92

In Paul's (and William's) defense, the 'like' system was kept around a lot longer than other forums have kept it.

vbulletin never had a software version that included the 'like' feature. It was always a modification (ie, people with no connection to vbulletin staff wrote modifications, or 'mods', that added on certain features such as the 'like' feature). So they are not part of the software; they are add-on programs and they are not supported by vbulletin. Problem is, the mods are not always kept up to date, and especially with older versions of vbulletin such as this one. That leaves the site open to security threats. If Paul's intent is to upgrade the software, he cannot use the old 'like' system because it's not compatible. Even if he uses the old mod with this version, he's putting the site at risk.

So it may seem like he's not listening to the wants of the forum members, but in reality he's protecting the site.

When he moved to a different server, it's possible that he was even unable to install the existing mod.

There are good reasons why people do the things they do. This site is lucky that staff is willing to communicate those reasons to the members.
BeenThereDoneThat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 2:17 PM   #93
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Members, from our tests from an observation by Robert, I believe the Like system has failed and is responsible for the formatting issues currently being experienced on the forum. We're going to have to live with it until Paul shows up to remove/fix the add-on and get the forum back on track. Sorry for the inconvenience!

One workaround is clicking on the 'most recent' post icon for a thread in forum view rather than clicking on the thread title. That seems repeatable to keep formatting intact. If members have reports on the like system existing or not for them, feel free to add.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 9:39 PM   #94
Established Member

Just wanted to mention that I enjoyed, and miss the 'old' like system. I enjoy seeing how many likes a specific post has. It's not so critical to me if I see exactly whom clicked the 'likes' on it, but I do enjoy seeing that as well.
Sunlight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2018, 6:21 AM   #95
Established Member

please bring back the like button
darkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2019, 6:19 PM   #96
Established Member

Anyone else can't see likes?

Not sure for how long, maybe several weeks or a couple of months, but I can't see likes on any threads or posts. I can see when I receive them in the welcome box as well as what comment was liked, I can click on Like or Unlike but I never see any actual likes on any threads. Not the hugest deal, just wondering if it's just me.
JS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2019, 6:40 PM   #97
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

It's been an issue since the site outage in April of last year...

The LoveShack "Like" feature - pros/cons and opinion

Here's your lists...

Received:
https://www.loveshack.org/forums/mem...likes_received

Given:
https://www.loveshack.org/forums/mem...en#likes_given
Old 5th January 2019, 6:50 PM   #98
Established Member

I had some earlier today but not in the last couple of hours, but that could just be because no one liked me.
Old 5th January 2019, 6:58 PM   #99
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

I liked preraph's post and refreshed the page and now the like counter is at one but preraph's post has the 'like' link back on it again, even though it should read 'unlike'.

This indicates the problem is static since Paul last repaired the like system which caused the forum to crash a month or two ago. I figured he'd remove it entirely since it's not a vBulletin product but he didn't. No doubt it'll crash the forum again at some point. Like or Unlike?
Old 5th January 2019, 7:09 PM   #100
Established Member

I got some likes now. And I can see the Like button just fine. Thanks.
preraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2019, 7:18 PM   #101
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

As covered in the linked thread, members can still give and receive likes but they are only visible in the member's like lists. The thread like counter at top right does work but there is no elaboration, just the total for the thread.
Old 5th January 2019, 7:19 PM   #102
Established Member

Thanks for the quick response.
JS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 12:29 PM   #103
Established Member

[]
Ah, likes system broke again?

[]

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 14th January 2019 at 1:26 PM.. Reason: Like system comments and response copied to relevant thread
Shanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 12:44 PM   #104
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Good morning,

Since you mentioned the like system, I'll add this. The like system is functioning as per usual post-site outage but degraded from its historical state and will not change with this iteration of vBulletin. The thread currently has 19 likes, four of which are for your post regarding leaving the site.

Link to your likes received list:
https://www.loveshack.org/forums/mem...likes_received
Old 14th January 2019, 1:04 PM   #105
Established Member

Hi William,

No problem, I got some error notification when I wanted to like TheFinalWordís post above, but then again liked yours and bathtub_raw above and it worked fine.

Maybe itís my phone I am using to browse or vBulletin acting up. I hope itís fixed soon.
Shanex is offline   Reply With Quote