LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

The LoveShack "Like" feature - pros/cons and opinion

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the LoveShack "Like" sytem?
Keep it as it was before, fully visible showing truncated list of members liking posts 59 71.08%
It's fine as it is now, with only private notifications and thread like totals 11 13.25%
I'd like the system showing a visible list of all members liking a post 7 8.43%
Do away with the like system. We don't need it here. 5 6.02%
Other/Add to comments 1 1.20%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th June 2018, 3:49 PM   #61

It doesn't matter to me. Any way is okay.

I don't spend enough time on LoveShack to remember. Was the quote system silent in the past? If it wasn't, I hope it returns.
anduina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2018, 4:04 PM   #62
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Stopping by to share that Paul was logged into the forum as recently as yesterday so please keep the votes and comments coming. Still no news on the forum software replacement. We'll keep member's posted.

Here's a sample post from the wayback machine to show how likes appeared in the past
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 7:33 PM   #63
Established Member

i use the like feature a lot....more than 21000 times actually since i have been on loveshack....i liked the old system and this new one doesnt bother me...except i have liked posts in threads.....then seen the like button again when i log on and thought i must not have liked it ...ill like it... ....so i have liked and unliked and liked again the same posts....which is sort of a bummer..

i feel there should be a system in place that allows posters to see individual replies to posts that are made in the threads....so that poster can then reply to who has replied to them...or choose not too..would that be too hard?.....deb

Last edited by todreaminblue; 11th July 2018 at 7:38 PM..
todreaminblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 7:39 PM   #64
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by todreaminblue View Post
i use the like feature a lot....more than 21000 times actually since i have been on loveshack....i liked the old system and this new one doesnt bother me...except i have liked posts in threads.....then seen the like button again when i log on and thought i must not have liked it ...ill like it... ....so i have liked and unliked and liked again the same posts....which is sort of a bummer..

i feel there should be a system in place that allows posters to see individual replies to posts that are made....so that poster can then reply to who has replied to them...or choose not too..would that be too hard?.....deb
Thank you for the input and, while Paul has instructed us to remain mum on actual work, I can share that I believe the concern bolded should be addressed, presuming you mean that you can choose to be notified should a fellow member like *or* quote your content and respond to it.

Imagine a quoted post notification that works similar to a like notification using a bell icon with numbers on either side, one for likes and one for quotes and hover menus showing abbreviated content.

If other, perhaps you can clarify what you are considering and we can pass that on to Paul.

Thanks!
Old 11th July 2018, 8:58 PM   #65
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Thank you for the input and, while Paul has instructed us to remain mum on actual work, I can share that I believe the concern bolded should be addressed, presuming you mean that you can choose to be notified should a fellow member like *or* quote your content and respond to it.

Imagine a quoted post notification that works similar to a like notification using a bell icon with numbers on either side, one for likes and one for quotes and hover menus showing abbreviated content.

If other, perhaps you can clarify what you are considering and we can pass that on to Paul.

Thanks!

the quoting is what i consider to be important.....
as when a poster quotes and chooses to address a poster post individually then i feel a reply may be what is sought and needed by the opening poster for resolution ro clarification(this is often really important well it is to me..)..deb
todreaminblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 10:48 PM   #66
5x5
Established Member

As a consequence of likes not being visible, it has become impossible for me to determine if I have liked a particular post or not. So although I like other posts, using the like feature has become an exercise in frustration, to the point it's just not worth the effort in liking other posts.
5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 11:00 PM   #67
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x5 View Post
As a consequence of likes not being visible, it has become impossible for me to determine if I have liked a particular post or not. So although I like other posts, using the like feature has become an exercise in frustration, to the point it's just not worth the effort in liking other posts.
This is available for any member in their profile.....

https://www.loveshack.org/forums/mem...en#likes_given

I'm confident that nothing in the currently visible forum will change. It's stable and will remain as is until Paul replaces it. This thread is for gathering ideas on what to have as a 'like' system.
Old 11th July 2018, 11:17 PM   #68
Established Member

I prefer to have the like visible.
Like if I have an opinion, and some people agree with it; it will show by how many people liked the comment I made. If I said something that got no likes, some would think I am the only one who has this opinion.

Also, sometimes I am lazy to reply to someone, so I like their comment and that my way of acknowledging them
Noproblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 12:00 AM   #69
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

OK, now that we're seeing progress with Paul to the extent he's begun a separate forum in the administration area I started a private thread for administration and in it referenced this thread so Paul can easily find it while staff discussion continues.

My push will be for a visible system so members can see who's liked a post in forum view without it becoming intrusive.

As a reminder, with our historical system, if one has another member on ignore one can't like their posts but the ignored person can like one's posts.

ETA, Paul has engaged us on the matter and is exploring a number of options in the like/thanks/reputation area. His contact with us in nearly daily now so that is real encouraging.

Keep the comments coming!

Last edited by William; 12th July 2018 at 9:26 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 13th July 2018, 8:11 AM   #70
Established Member

It's only a matter of clicking on a persons name, going to their like and clicking on likes received, and viewing weather or not you have given them a like.

I am enjoying it the way it is. I feel it's kind of indiviualist to make your own like, based on your own opinion, rather than a majority of how many other people have liked it.
skywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 4:59 PM   #71
Established Member

The "new" like feature is enough to keep me from posting here much at all.

Sometimes I want to co-sign another post without writing my own, and I like to see my posts validated.
Old 18th July 2018, 10:32 PM   #72
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentChange View Post

Sometimes I want to co-sign another post without writing my own, and I like to see my posts validated.
I'm hoping that the 'old' like feature will be returned again. I'm getting frustrated with forgetting who I liked and who I didn't like, since if I like someone twice it reverts back to unlike. So, before I want to like someone I have to go back to my own profile, click on all the likes I have given in the recent times and make sure it's a post I didn't like before, for me to finally I click on the like button.

This is unproductive and frustrating.

In addition, often times I feel like just to tell everyone how strongly I agree with another person's comment, I have to quote it and then say "I agree".

I hope Paul brings that old feature back soon.
burnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 6:24 PM   #73
Established Member

Another member in a different thread on the site outage brought up a comparison alluded to by some in this thread, that the current opaque like system discourages people from liking posts compared to the past visible system. They suggested running a calculation and I did, scanning pages of dates from a month after the site came back online until a few days ago, about a month's worth, to a similar date range concluding with the day the site went offline.

From my rough scan, the like numbers appear to be similar, no more than a page (15) off, and might even be greater after the outage. I had to check twice to be sure. If that's accurate, that's surprising to me, considering the negative comments I've been reading here. Check your own numbers for comparison. Mine are running somewhere around 140-150 per month.
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 11:50 PM   #74

Quote:

I agree w all the above. There is something gratifying to myself too about writing a good post and seeing that inverted triangle w a number next to it.

And while we are at it FYI I liked this post
Imajerk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 3:02 AM   #75
5x5
Established Member

Quote:

I agree. Like
5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote