LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

The LoveShack "Like" feature - pros/cons and opinion

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the LoveShack "Like" sytem?
Keep it as it was before, fully visible showing truncated list of members liking posts 59 71.08%
It's fine as it is now, with only private notifications and thread like totals 11 13.25%
I'd like the system showing a visible list of all members liking a post 7 8.43%
Do away with the like system. We don't need it here. 5 6.02%
Other/Add to comments 1 1.20%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2018, 9:28 PM   #46
Established Member

I noticed the like/share system renders different in different browsers and depending on add-ons. This is posted from Firefox with ad-block plus and the share system doesn't show up at all and the like system is only a link on a post. Things are a lot more complete in Safari with no add blockers but still no member list.

I noticed the like/unlike glitch is persistent in Safari with no ad-blocker so that makes no difference. I just tried liking Tristian's post and it brought the unlike link but that changed to like again refreshing the page so that glitch appears to be baked into the system.
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2018, 9:55 PM   #47
Established Member

I like the old like feature. How else will everyone know how popular I am?
enigma32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2018, 7:13 AM   #48
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carhill View Post
I noticed the like/share system renders different in different browsers and depending on add-ons. This is posted from Firefox with ad-block plus and the share system doesn't show up at all and the like system is only a link on a post. Things are a lot more complete in Safari with no add blockers but still no member list.

That's strange. I'm also using Firefox with Ad-block plus and the share system shows up for me.
Tristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2018, 5:21 PM   #49

I much prefer the old "like" system, the way it was on LS the past several years before it went down in March.

1. The visible likes do a really good job in showing a consensus when someone asks for advice. If someone responds w ViewPoint A and that gets 15 likes and someone else responds w Viewpoint B and that gets only 1 like then the OP can get that most people agree w Viewpoint A.

2. The way the "like" feature is set up now, I can't even tell if I "liked" a post or not! I mean, I have "liked" a post and then if I go back to it later it gives me the option of liking again. And sometimes I will--does that mean I "unliked" it??

3. People do seem to be "liking" posts far far less frequently than before the shutdown (who knows why maybe partially due to 2. above), and I think it is reducing the returning traffic too. For better or worse, human nature being what it is, we like to feel that we are having some sort of impact by posting, otherwise why bother. If I write out a long thoughtful post and there is no acknowledgment then (subconsciously) I wonder if I really was just talking to the wind. And it makes me less likely to respond in the future. Again not saying this is right or wrong, just saying how it is for me.

4. What others said about it being a time-saver. I tend to skim threads too, and I am more likely to more thoroughly read a long post if I see that others find it worthwhile to read too.

(I am not seeing the need either to explicitly give the full list of all who like it, just a truncated list and then you can see the full list by clicking the "and x others" just below as before.)

Last edited by Imajerk17; 16th June 2018 at 5:36 PM..
Imajerk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2018, 3:46 AM   #50
Established Member

I'm quite happy with how they have been since the site returned or equally with how they were before.

However, now, you don't get to see 'unlike' to show that you have liked something.
It looks as if it's taking when you click on like but doesn't.

It's not showing things I 'liked' prior to today either any longer.

I'm guessing it's being worked on?

Last edited by GemmaUK; 17th June 2018 at 3:49 AM..
GemmaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2018, 7:58 AM   #51
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imajerk17 View Post
2. The way the "like" feature is set up now, I can't even tell if I "liked" a post or not! I mean, I have "liked" a post and then if I go back to it later it gives me the option of liking again. And sometimes I will--does that mean I "unliked" it??
Yes. Not sure why but if you like a post and then go back to it later it will appear to give you the option to like it again but doing so will actually unlike the post.

The way it appears to be working for me is....

-if you click like on a post it changes to unlike
-if you come back to that page later it will show the option to like but if you click it again it will not change to unlike. Now you have actually unliked the post.
-click it again and it will now show unlike and you have liked the post again.

You can still view your likes given and received in your profile and members still receive notifications when a like is given.

Definitely not ideal, but unfortunately that's the system we are working with until Paul makes improvements.
Tristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2018, 8:31 AM   #52
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristian View Post
Yes. Not sure why but if you like a post and then go back to it later it will appear to give you the option to like it again but doing so will actually unlike the post.

The way it appears to be working for me is....

-if you click like on a post it changes to unlike
-if you come back to that page later it will show the option to like but if you click it again it will not change to unlike. Now you have actually unliked the post.
-click it again and it will now show unlike and you have liked the post again.

You can still view your likes given and received in your profile and members still receive notifications when a like is given.

Definitely not ideal, but unfortunately that's the system we are working with until Paul makes improvements.
I couldn't remember which I did, so, when I revisited I ended up "like"ing a few posts several times, so I guess some are liked and some are unliked at this point.
burnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2018, 8:37 AM   #53
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

^^^ Here's your 'likes given' list....

https://www.loveshack.org/forums/mem...en#likes_given

You liked two posts in this thread yesterday, likes which stuck anyway.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2018, 10:05 PM   #54
Established Member

Old Likes were great :)

I really enjoyed the way the like feature worked before the blackout.

It made quite and impression on me with several posts over the past couple years. I have come to appreciate the cumulative experience here, and though I don't always agree with the majority, often I really trust the higher 'like count' on a particular post to indicate that the cumulative wisdom shows I should read more carefully, or re-read those posts with higher like-counts.

Also, it makes the whole forum feel much more connected and active for me. During the blackout, I searched for other forums, and the two things that prevented me getting comfortable anywhere else were;
- the poorly organized categories and the ease of navigation from the main page (the main navigation page layout, and the particular categories chosen to have their own pages on LoveShack are really good. Only one I'd love to see added would be a category for 'Online Dating', or 'Online Dating Sites/Apps')
- the lack of a 'like' button, and a truncated list of how many likes a particular post had received.

Since Loveshack is live again (yay!!!!), I have been less enthusiastic. I thought just my computer was not working with the like-system. It's made me feel less connected, and less enthusiastic to be here without the likes showing up on each post.

I'd be delighted to see the old like system brought back.

Thank you to Paul and all the moderators, and thoughtful posters :0)
Best Wishes,
Sunlight

Last edited by Sunlight72; 17th June 2018 at 10:12 PM..
Sunlight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2018, 9:39 AM   #55
Established Member

Your Notifications: xxxx
Well my is high and I left it alone to see who likes what I've said to them. But I don't see who likes what I said on the post reply after the shutdown of this site. If you need help fixing your code I can help you out since I've been on internet since 1995 and wrote up enough code back then. Should be a small fix This site is static text base html. Generally more forums from years ago. This works best for people who had slower PCs back then. On my mobile phone the site looks the same way but tiny. You might want to get someone to build app for LS. I can do that also or there should be option to turn on such a feature using 3rd party app. For my forums that's what I use. Anyway Like by who should be on your site by post who and by who like your comments. If you need any help be my pleasure to assist here. Just have to ask.
Age doesn't matter, but Love does matter! Which love it's the magical one "I love you" also I am in love with you" More powerful than anyone age! If you really love that person you are so interested in you would move heavens and mountains to reach them!'
coolheadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2018, 4:47 PM   #56
Established Member

Dislike new private liking system [merged]

Don't know if anyone's posted about this yet, but it's fun to see what posts others "like".

I don't feel as motivated to "like" other's posts anymore.

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 21st June 2018 at 4:50 PM..
olivetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2018, 5:00 PM   #57
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivetree View Post
Don't know if anyone's posted about this yet, but it's fun to see what posts others "like".

I don't feel as motivated to "like" other's posts anymore.
I agree olivetree^^^^^^

Now that I've understood how it's working, I feel it's pretty hollow to like a post but no one will see it, and I enjoyed very much seeing which posts others had liked.

I would be happy to see the like system back to the way it was before the shut down
Sunlight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2018, 5:09 PM   #58
Established Member

I'd like to add that the likes are helpful/informative to the OP to see what advice the majority of people agree with.

Due to the anonymous nature of this forum, it's pretty hard to treat "likes" as a popularity contest (an aspect I detest about social media in general).
olivetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2018, 7:19 PM   #59
Established Member

I used the "like" feature as a way to agree with a post without adding more to the thread. I also used it as a "thank you" if someone specifically called out something I'd written, again, in order to not clog up the thread.

I don't really see "likes" as a popularity thing. I remember one instance where I shared something very personal, and that post received many likes. I saw that as posters supporting me, and it was a nice feeling. I appreciated it.

I'd prefer to have the like system returned to how it was before the outage. Thanks.
Old 24th June 2018, 9:10 AM   #60
Established Member

I would also much prefer to have the former 'like' feature restored. One of the main merits of LS, I would have thought!

When posters ask for help, opinions etc it's a very easy way for them to see the general consensus of opinion.

Again rather confusing not being able to readily view which posts I've already 'liked' previously.
Saracena is offline   Reply With Quote