LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

The LoveShack "Like" feature - pros/cons and opinion

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the LoveShack "Like" sytem?
Keep it as it was before, fully visible showing truncated list of members liking posts 62 72.09%
It's fine as it is now, with only private notifications and thread like totals 11 12.79%
I'd like the system showing a visible list of all members liking a post 7 8.14%
Do away with the like system. We don't need it here. 5 5.81%
Other/Add to comments 1 1.16%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2018, 3:16 PM   #31
Established Member

It adds something . . . It's a way of expressing agreement with another poster without having to actually type out a response. I think I'd change the word from "like" to "agree" if that is an option. A "disagree" button might be helpful.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 4:12 PM   #32
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

A downside I can see to an 'agree' feature replacing the 'like' feature is foreclosing the opportunity to like a post one disagrees with. I view those as discrete viewpoints on content. I can like a post for being well thought-out, constructed and presented even if I disagree with some or all of its content, as example.

I believe the concept of a 'dislike' button was discussed back when the like system was coming together and Paul indicated he was interested in positive and helpful actions rather than contentious actions.

Indeed, here's a past thread on the topic:

https://www.loveshack.org/forums/gen...ke-button-link

I could see an up/down vote system like is used on YouTube, et al, if it's anonymous. At a glance readers could see the popularity of the post either liked or disliked but wouldn't know anything about the voters. We see that in action in this thread with our poll. Members get one vote per username (yes, people game that too) but no one knows who voted what. However, I could click a button and publish tying the votes to members but that's something we've yet to do and it can't be done retroactively.

Last edited by William; 14th June 2018 at 10:16 PM..
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 4:35 PM   #33
Established Member

The feature was good as it was, I believe that it validates good points. I know, for me the like feature forced me to really reevaluate one of my life long friendships back when I first started posting here. My wife felt it was a toxic person, I disagreed. Having a member point out it was, and the reasons coupled with the huge number of likes forced me to really look at the history of that relationship.
DKT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 7:36 PM   #34
Established Member

I think a dislike button has been widely ruled out on social media as causing too many hurt feelings and waking the ire of others. Silence is golden. If you don't "like" it, then you can be neutral or dislike it.
Old 12th June 2018, 8:06 PM   #35
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
It adds something . . . It's a way of expressing agreement with another poster without having to actually type out a response. I think I'd change the word from "like" to "agree" if that is an option. A "disagree" button might be helpful.
if we had a "disagree" button I would push it for the above post

- The Eagles
alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 8:29 PM   #36
Established Member

Yeah, dislike buttons are a bad idea. No bueno.

Part of the reason "like"s work on this site is the progressive moderation. You can't be a jerk and say "I hate this poster and she's stupid" in the first place, so nobody even has a chance.to like mean posts. Moderation is quick enough to tamp down on trolls when they arrive, and overall, this just isn't a negative space. This is a smart, supportive, and thoughtful community. I respect the people who post here. If a post is popular, then that means a group of people I already respect think it's a good contribution, so I want to read it and see whether I agree.

It's like getting restaurant recommendations from friends. If you value their opinions, then you might like seeing what they liked too.
lana-banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 3:02 AM   #37
Established Member

I think we should concentrate on the key question here, does the like feature with a visible list help thread starters who are looking for help and advice?

Generally the threads I read and post on tend to have no or few responses. If another poster has already given a reply similar to what I would give then I'm unlikely to repeat the same thing or to just post "I agree with the above poster", but clicking "like" is quick and easy and unobtrusive way of doing the same thing.

Often the thread starter will disagree with one responder particularly if that response says your wife is cheating on you. But if that responder has got 4 or 5 likes, it adds weight and shows that it's not just one person's opinion; the OP is more likely to believe it. It's not necessary to show a full list of names because new posters won't recognise them anyway.

So I say yes, the like system with a visible (truncated) list does help people who come here for advice.
Old 13th June 2018, 5:58 AM   #38
Established Member

Visible likes just encourage dogpiling. Certain “classes” of members get targeted [] Many new members get chased away by this, as they simply don’t return.

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 13th June 2018 at 7:11 PM.. Reason: Topical content
Prudence V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2018, 11:18 AM   #39
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salparadise View Post
"Likes" added a lot of interactivity and feedback within the community. I didn't realize how much until they were gone. They also provide an incentive for posters to try to write well and express ideas clearly and succinctly. Within threads everyone can see what the popular ideas are and who's connecting with readers.

This is all just to say, hey I think they're valuable and hope we get them back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
^^^^ Like.
'Like' ^^^^ ^^^^
Old 14th June 2018, 12:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudence V View Post
Visible likes just encourage dogpiling. Certain “classes” of members get targeted [] Many new members get chased away by this, as they simply don’t return.
But do you not think it’s relatively mild to “like” a post than to write another mean post for those who’s intention is to target certain groups? Perhaps having the like button can discourage more such mean posts?
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2018, 1:28 PM   #41
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

For general consumption as an advisory when this moderator, the oldest one here, starts getting a whiff of abuse of the like system in any manner I start running like dossiers on the members involved along with post analysis and, generally, that never works out well, as the thousands of permanently banned members attest. LoveShack.org is published as a civil, respectful and friendly community where disagreements on content are never overshadowed by bullying, cliques, manipulation or similar posting behaviors.

Let's get back to the structure of the like system as outlined in the poll. Be sure to vote! We'll be consistently reminding Paul that this is a member priority. Thanks!
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2018, 2:28 PM   #42
Established Member

I saw this and voted in the poll for the old system! Apologies if my below comment is not on topic, as I am embarrassed to say I did not read through all the posts here, but one think I do not enjoy about the like system as it is now, is that after I 'like' a post, there is still an option to 'like' it if I log out and back in. That's confusing, because in reality that ends up 'unliking' it, but it is not clear.

Still, super excited to have the site back and thanks to all the moderators for their help!
Mystyry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2018, 7:47 PM   #43
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystyry View Post
I did not read through all the posts here, but one think I do not enjoy about the like system as it is now, is that after I 'like' a post, there is still an option to 'like' it if I log out and back in. That's confusing, because in reality that ends up 'unliking' it, but it is not clear.

Still, super excited to have the site back and thanks to all the moderators for their help!

I don't believe that issue has come up before so I'll do some testing and see what happens.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Tristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2018, 7:53 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristian View Post
I don't believe that issue has come up before so I'll do some testing and see what happens.

Has anyone else noticed this?
This has been the case for me, and I believe this issue has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, no?
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2018, 8:05 PM   #45
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneL View Post
This has been the case for me, and I believe this issue has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, no?

Yes, looks like William mentioned it the other day. Guess I've missed a few posts on this thread.

Looks to be the same regardless of what browser you're using so thats another glitch to add to the list.
Tristian is offline   Reply With Quote