LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

The LoveShack "Like" feature - pros/cons and opinion

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the LoveShack "Like" sytem?
Keep it as it was before, fully visible showing truncated list of members liking posts 62 72.09%
It's fine as it is now, with only private notifications and thread like totals 11 12.79%
I'd like the system showing a visible list of all members liking a post 7 8.14%
Do away with the like system. We don't need it here. 5 5.81%
Other/Add to comments 1 1.16%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th June 2018, 1:41 PM   #16
Established Member

I prefer the *like* the way it was before. Right now I will like a post and a couple of days later I can't tell if I liked it or not cause I don't have the usual list of people that gave it a like.

I also thought a *dislike* option would be interesting but understand it could be like poring oil on a hot burning fire.
Old 11th June 2018, 3:18 PM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
From a revenue standpoint, my understanding is the more activity a discussion gets, with likes and shares as part of it, the more it gains points with the search engine robots and lifts its rankings in search hits. If true, then it would be in Paul's interest financially to continue the Like system. What's unknown to me is, even though we're not seeing a listing of who likes a post being rendered, is the act of doing so functioning in the same manner for purposes of the revenue/ranking aspect? They are being registered in each member's account. Has the change discouraged members from liking posts?
I'm for anything, within certain limits, that helps the site stay viable and financially healthy. The old "likes" system seemed to serve that purpose...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 3:25 PM   #18
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeta View Post
I prefer the *like* the way it was before. Right now I will like a post and a couple of days later I can't tell if I liked it or not cause I don't have the usual list of people that gave it a like.
Yes, it's cumbersome and unintuitive to have to go to one's profile and click on the 'Likes Given' list (link to yours) to see what one has done. Also, something else I've noticed is Paul appears to have throttled rendering those results, similar to throttling text searches and some backend functions moderation deals with. It takes awhile when clicking on that link to get any results. I've noticed that pretty consistently while working this like system discussion.

ETA.....However, here's an experiment to try. Take any post in that list, click on it, go to the post and describe what you see.

If I'm right you should see an 'unlike' text link where the like link normally is. If yes, that means you've liked the person's post even though you can't see your name on a list. I just tried that with Mr. Lucky's post above and that's what I see. That member should see a like from William in their notifications and profile.

**Update to that.... interesting. The Like changed to Unlike when I clicked on it but when I refresh the page, the Unlike goes away and is replaced with a Like link. Ruh-roh Let me try that in a couple other browsers for comparison.

The missing factor is the public seeing, in thread view, who liked whose posts and one personally not being able to easily see in thread view who's liked their own posts.

Last edited by William; 11th June 2018 at 3:34 PM..
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 4:02 PM   #19
Established Member

I like the "like"!! Primarily because i think it helps the OP with the dilemma at hand see what advice resonates with the group responding. Plus sometimes there is not much reason to say exactly what someone else has said, but give it a like to show that you agree and hopefully it will help the OP--especially if over the time they have been here the people who are the likers of a post are the ones that tend to have the same/similar perspective as they do. It promotes interaction, for sure--if that has a financial benefit all the better.

The truncated list is fine. Any "thank you' or "i agree" of the like is still received privately and if you are so inclined you can open the list of likes on a post. If they put the whole list instead, well that works too. 50/50 on this part. The old way worked fine IMO.
Everybody's like: He's no item,Please don't like em, He don't wife em, He one nights em,I never listened No. I shoulda figured though. All that sh*t you was spittin',So unoriginal, But it was you. So I was with it. Then tell you the truth, Wish we never did it. If you was really the realest, Wouldn't be fightin' it.I think your pride is just...In the way
Versacehottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 4:13 PM   #20
Established Member

The old system was great. It wasn't intrusive, and the benefits far outweighed any drawbacks. It's nice to see what kinds of things other members find insightful, important, or funny. It's also good for assessing whether advice is registering, or what sort of feedback is most helpful.
lana-banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 4:23 PM   #21
Established Member

When we used to get infiltrated by members of the spin off they'd come over and all like what one of their own said against whoever they were trashing at the moment. In that way our own members were visibly bullied and I don't see the point of that.

JMO
Old 11th June 2018, 4:39 PM   #22
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

^^ That's a valid point and was an issue early-on, from my chair lessening over time as we weeded out the problems.

Now, with five confirmed moderators and a sixth awaiting her credentials, we have a lot of moderation coverage to perform multiple tasks. Pretty much all I do now is member relations like this, member research and spam. That frees the other moderators to concentrate on policy and handling reports.

I followed up on our private e-mail chain with Paul this morning and advised him of the member interest and preference in the like system, at that point anyway. As this thread progresses, I'll update that and send him a link to the discussion too. I don't know if he reads the forum but figure this is worth his time.
Old 11th June 2018, 6:07 PM   #23
Established Member

I'm sitting here and instinctively 'liking' the posts I agree with. Old habits die hard haha

While I appreciate that one could send a private message thanking a poster for a good post, it's really clunky and would rarely happen. The visible Like function is quick and easy.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 8:24 PM   #24
Established Member

Wait, this isn't an online dating site? I thought the like button was to let someone know you're interested in them...

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 11th June 2018 at 8:27 PM.. Reason: White space
Romantic_Antics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 8:49 PM   #25
Established Member

Dang it, William, the white space was intentional.

(Seriously)

As for the like system, the old system offered a quick way to identify good advice and enjoyable posts. It's worth it to revert back to it for that reason.
Romantic_Antics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 8:51 PM   #26
Established Member

Honestly, now that I've used the notifications for Likes, I want a combination: Like it was before, everyone who "liked" visible on the post AND notifications of Likes, because then I like to go revisit the thread. I can live with either though.

I will say that it's possible staying with the notification system will not raise the ire of the original poster as much where they, you know, start saying how everyone is against them. But on the other hand, those who keep basically fishing for someone who agrees with them and will say what they want to hear even though no one pretty much does agree with them, they won't readily see that it's a consensus and throw in the towel.....

Last edited by preraph; 11th June 2018 at 8:53 PM..
preraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 8:57 PM   #27
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romantic_Antics View Post
Dang it, William, the white space was intentional.

(Seriously)
Our job as moderators is to manage the site. I left your off-topic humorous content and made it easier for members with mobile devices to scroll through it. We often get reports on such posts from mobile users.

Quote:
As for the like system, the old system offered a quick way to identify good advice and enjoyable posts. It's worth it to revert back to it for that reason.
Thanks for the input!
Old 12th June 2018, 2:33 AM   #28
Established Member

The concept of needing to see what other people find enjoyable or relevant is totally alien to me (I don't need to see likes from other posters to determine that) and, to be entirely honest, seems geared towards neuro-typical thinking. Non NTs can take it or leave it.

The best argument to me is that it helps the site; for that reason alone, I'll make a conscious effort to use the like feature a lot more liberally from now on, even if I'd much prefer it called 'thank you' or 'agree'.

On a selfish note, thank you for this thread - it's been a great learning curve for this autistic person . I also hope this will have given a glimpse of how some non NTs use the features and that will help towards being more inclusive and more aware of what others wh9 are not neuro typical think (the whole point of LS, and the reason I enjoy this site).

Last edited by littleblackheart; 12th June 2018 at 2:39 AM..
littleblackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 7:29 AM   #29
Established Member

I’m very much against visible ‘Likes’. Gives me the juvenile vibe of social media... Although i can see the appeal for certain demographic craving an ego stroke, it is also providing means for passive-aggressive behaviors, biasing opinions and it makes the threads clunky.
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 2:58 PM   #30
Established Member

I think it looks much cleaner now too, No Go. And I agree with Art_Critic in that they're more special this way. I know personally I give a lot less likes than I had before but they seem to be much more meaningful now.

The other way just seems so showy now. Good advice is good advice. It doesn't change because there's a like next to it.
amaysngrace is offline   Reply With Quote