LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

What Can Be Done To Bring Traffic Back To The Site?

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th September 2018, 6:20 PM   #61
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanex View Post
The other bad news and read from William in a different thread is that Paul vanished again?
who is this mysterious "Paul" person anyways??

- The Eagles
alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2018, 6:24 PM   #62
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

Rumor has it that Paul lives in a big green house in a green city at the end of a very long yellow brick road.
Mardelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2018, 7:05 PM   #63
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Paul owns Loveshack.Org. He's the guy that designed it and pays the bills.

He had been here pretty consistently post-outage and working on some improvements but we last heard from him August 8th and looks like his last log in was August 10th.

I'm sure he has plenty of other responsibilities besides Loveshack to attend to so the reason for his absence right now, like before, is any ones guess.

Last edited by Tristian; 26th September 2018 at 7:11 PM..
Tristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2018, 11:11 PM   #64
Established Member

Get some threads on here to go viral.
Old 18th October 2018, 10:22 AM   #65
PRW
Established Member

Location: In Illinois, within driving distance of the St Louis, MO area
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
outage, a bit over three weeks ago, but easily half, probably more, have been spammers we've banned. New forum software with stronger anti-spam measures will provide a cleaner environment
This has been very good when comparing to other similar sites. Many other sites out there have just become unusable. I was very glad to be able to come back to LS when it came back up. The way other competing sites have been overrun with SPAM, or otherwise shady posts was really unpleasant.

You guys have done a great job on this.
Old 21st October 2018, 6:17 PM   #66
Established Member

I used to visit this site frequently, but ever since it's back it's just "different." A lot of threads seem silly or like someone is trolling for attention. (No offense to the actual serious posters, my personal opinion) It often kind of feels like a waste of time now to reply, or to even read certain stories. So when I see a lot of "silly" threads", I just lose interest in visiting the site. I guess you could say some of the old members "made" the site in a way.

Perhaps things will be back to normal over time. Anyway, I really do appreciate the hard work you guys are doing
Erik30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 1:44 AM   #67
Established Member

More Empathy

I will say this I think one thing that would help would be more empathy for those who take time to type out their problems and ask for help. Some people here love to victim blame. This does nothing but kick a person when they are already down. In a time when people are killing themselves over things in their lives it cost nothing to try to have empathy for others. I know people wont like this but honestly some of the comments that fly here would never fly in a LOT of facebook advice groups Ive been apart of in the past and recently. I notice whenever someone has an issue in their family the first thing someone will say is "just be happy you have somewhere to live" or blame the poster for their issue. This is gas lighting and victim blaming. I myself was a target pf such ,but I have been a long time poster and almost 40 so as stated before I can take it,but the psychologist/social worker(trainee) in me compels me to say this. I will probably get "dragged" as the young folks say,but oh well. This is what I think. I am not saying this site is bad but the question was asked and I have given my answer .
siren8272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 6:31 PM   #68
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Yes, constant battle between accusations of over-moderation and under-moderation.

The only concrete advice we received since the site outage was tangential, not direct, and impacted the moderation of vulgarity/profanity/abusive terms, in that Paul loosened the language moderation up from prior, so we're not deleting or editing or reminding members about language as much as prior, so less moderation of that. Else, he's given us no direction or further guidance on how he wants the site moderated so we're going with the current tone until instructed differently.

The balance of site tone and moderation is crucial to increasing traffic and, in general, the internet is a pretty brutal place so my read is more aggressive moderation will tend to limit site growth versus a more relaxed impact that facilitates the wider tone of the internet to pervade the forum content. At the extreme, an unmoderated site would likely be quite busy, numbers-wise, but would likely be total chaos and anarchy and spam. We experienced some of that in the past when Tony was working by himself and couldn't keep up with everything and finally decided to retire.

Checked the front page now and noted 67 members logged in, not bad for a Sunday afternoon, with a bit under 1K visitors viewing. We can do better. It's a work in progress.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 6:50 PM   #69
Established Member

Fair points. I have a quite long experience with forums and I reckon the most « overmoderated » ones are the one with the friendliest; more thoughtful environment overall.

Being on turbo moderation doesn’t bother me, no one rule the place beside the owner and the mods follow the instructions they are being given.

Sure, I came accross a couple forums that are only 5-6 year old with already dozen millions posts, mostly nonsense, non-sequiturs and ad-hominem. Nothing substantial or making me want to stay.

Back to LS, less active members browsing and posting these days. Quality and quantity sort of thing. Less activity fits me better. I was surprised to start the thread about the Pittsburgh Synagogue attack many hours after most MSM reported it. No one did bother or were busy or were waiting for someone to take the job.
Shanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 12:32 AM   #70
Established Member

Shesabeauty i fully agree I too think that burnout and age are a factor. I remember during the great recession of 08 I was trying to find work and my mother was lowkey being abusive there were some on here I could tell had no inkling of what was going on outside their bubble. This resulted in "solutions" that did not fit what was going on at the time. Its easy to say get a job when there were no jobs hiring. I was even told to "walk" to get a job but would you tell your 5'1 102 lb daughter to walk along the woods and highways to get a job? So yes I agree that maybe bias might be age based. Im 36 btw and when I started potig I was 26ish.
siren8272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 12:24 PM   #71
Established Member

This forum is very pro-cheater and is referred to it as such by numerous posters who state as much on other relationship forums. They would never post here for that reason. Any criticism directed towards a poster who is having the affair, or an other man or other woman who is posting here is typically met with swift and aggressive moderation. I'm sure this is a turn off to many potential posters, many of whom are betrayed by a cheating partner and the last thing they want to see is support for such a person. How can a forum support both the betrayed AND the betrayers?
Normm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 1:22 PM   #72
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

LoveShack.org provides a forum for members to discuss topics within the forum guidelines and seeks to give equal weight to all points of view.

Paul does a great job of outlining the framework in the Community Guidelines.

My personal experience as a moderator is that factions representing disparate viewpoints seek to bend the will of the site to their perspectives and our job as representatives of the owner is to resist those political actions and continue to provide a forum of discussion where all viewpoints are provided a platform, even if they appear ridiculous and unfounded from any one member's perspective.

Regarding infidelity, our work is to enforce the guidelines and ensure as best possible that the forum does not become an echo chamber for any particular philosophy or perspective. This work often results in members leaving or being expelled. That's part of the reality of running a moderated site. Paul reinforced his commitment to moderation by adding three more full time moderators after the site outage. Evidently he wants that aspect of the forum to continue and, as I shared prior, offered no major changes to the style and tone of moderation save for some specifics regarding language.
Old 14th November 2018, 7:52 PM   #73
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

I think Paul's decision to loosen up the language rules has had an effect, since it substantially reduced moderation contact with members, and new site visit numbers are now within a few thousand of a million a month. Big jumps from Canada and the UK. Page views are holding steady, as is the bounce rate. As comparison, Loveshack has about 2.5 times the monthly traffic of Enotalone. The category ranking is now down to 310, still got a ways to go to get back in the hundreds as it was before the site outage, but encouraging.

Moderation has been getting a lot of reports of excessive quoting, meaning members quoting whole posts or posts immediately prior which takes up a lot of real estate, and we've been quietly trimming those posts/quotes as reported or found to make it easier to read for our mobile users. Member assistance is greatly appreciated. We understand the site is pretty horrible to use on a smartphone and it's difficult to trim quotes on the fly but please try as possible. Thanks!
Old 18th November 2018, 1:44 PM   #74
Established Member

I talk to others on what is now called cyberlove formally known as Loveforums to see if they want to check out this site because it is waaaay more active than the others. Their biggest complaint was the language restrictions or expression restrictions. They didn't like the it and left. I'm glad it has been loosened up a bit...we are all adults here right? I can't see it offending anyone unless it's in a abusive way.

William I have to say the traffic on this site is way above the others sites right now. I know as the holidays approach, that's when people have issues with their relationships so the traffic will increase just like most years lol.

You are a fool if you believe that having each others passwords = trust.
smackie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2018, 2:08 PM   #75
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

A reduction in unexplained site outages would help too.

On the language thing, Paul informed us that, at least in the forums open to the internet and search engines, not the private/member only forums, the site content must comply with Google's terms and conditions of service or risk loss of use. He didn't explain further than that, to my knowledge anyway. Those rules that he's bound to follow concern more than language but it is part of the package.

In the past, it was member complaints about abusive/vulgar/profane language which drove moderation policy. Paul wasn't around, not for years. He came around, took charge and changed things and what we see today is the result, so far anyway. No doubt he'll refine it moving forward. I personally look forward to that. IMO, an involved owner/administrator is key to growing and maintaining a forum.